Fighters 2, Bulls 3

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
From CNN is the story that the bulls in San Isidro forced, "authorities to suspend a bullfight at the San Isidro Festival in Madrid for the first time in 35 years, said a spokesman for Las Ventas bullring, who by custom is not identified."

I wasn't sure whether to put this here, in Sports, or in P&CE, but I thought it was interesting to see the bulls get some back on the bullfighters.

There were still four more bulls to fight that day, out of the usual six on the card. But no more bullfighters in the shiny suit of lights. So authorities called it off.

I don't know if I can say the bulls won, but they bought time for their fellows.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What do you know, animals take exception to being tortured to death and fight back. GOOD! Yay, go bulls go.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Okay, I've been told I'm a hypocrite, because I'm not a vegan or anything, and I don't boycott medical procedures or drugs because they were tested on animals first. But I just don't get "sports" where spectators enjoy watching people deliberately hurt animals, or where people watch two animals hurt one another.

Yes, I said it. I know it's culturally insensitive, but why in the hell is bull fighting still legal and embraced as Spain's national sport?

Last edited:

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Spain really isn't in alignment with the rest of Europe as far as basic animal welfare goes. If you really want to lose your appetite, look up photos of the deliberate cruelty perpetrated against Spanish galgos at the end of hunting season. The lucky ones are used as target practice.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
This is what separates bullfighting from other sports. The bulls stand a chance of winning.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spain is atrocious on animal rights. One festival has young men riding horse under ropes strung with upside chickens. The objective rip the chicken's head of when the rider passes under it.

Roxxmom, there is nothing hypocritical about supporting animal rights and not being a vegetarian or not using only cruelty free products. That mentality falls into the "I'm superior in my believes because" camp.