Microwave Fries

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is more of a product review than about cooking.

I don't make fries at home very often unless I'm using the deep fryer for something else (and that's not often because I mostly cook fish and fried chicken in the electric skillet). I have made the frozen ones in the oven, but it seems like overkill to heat a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes just for some fries.

Anyway, I was in the grocery store this morning and spotted something in the frozen foods section I hadn't noticed before--Easy Fries by Ore-Ida; two varieties, regular and crinkle cut. You cook them in the microwave for four minutes. I was a bit dubious but I thought I'd try them. The package felt light (I looked later and it's 4.75 oz.) but they were only $1.39 so what the heck. I got the "Golden Crinkle" variety.

Well, I have to say they were better than expected. They weren't the absolutely best fries I've ever had, but they compare well with fast-food/diner fries. Better than some fast-food fries I've had (those wimpy soft ones). There were plenty for one; maybe enough for two people if you just wanted a few fries apiece.

Maybe these have been out a while and I've just never noticed them. I don't know that I will buy them very often, but if I were thinking about having a cheeseburger and fries at home, I would certainly consider getting these again.

All things considered (price, taste, convenience) I would give these things at least a B+.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
If you put a pot of icewater on the oven vent burner (with the lid on) it will reduce the heat released into the kitchen when you bake fries. Doesn't deal with the energy use, but at least you can still bake in the summer. :)

I'm scared of deep frying so I do mine in the oven, but from scratch: slice into rounds, rub about 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of peanut oil onto them (they shouldn't be oily, just barely covered) and then bake at 400. They take only 20 minutes if you slice them thin enough.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was just really surprised at how good the Ore-Ida things were for being microwave fries.

I usually don't like heating up an oven just for a few fries to go with a burger.

I don't like doing it for a baked potato either, but I will because I don't like baked potatoes done in the microwave.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
On a related note, I bought some pre-baked microwaveable potatoes the other week.
Pretty good. 7 minutes to cook.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I was surprised as well, Alleycat. There's also some "hash round" microwaveable potatoes from them, and I buy those pretty regularly to nibble on at work.

I think the crisping shields on the inside make a lot of difference. Someone, Reynolds I think, used to sell those sheets. I never bought them then. I'd be tempted to try other foods on them if I could find them anymore.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Alleycat, you sound like an excellent candidate for a toaster oven, which can bake a potato or two without bothering to heat up the whole oven. We had one for many years and used it often, especially in warm weather.

Maryn, who only gets fries once a year, sigh

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A toaster oven might not be a bad idea, although I have no idea where I would put it.

Did yours work well for pies?

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
If you put a pot of icewater on the oven vent burner (with the lid on) it will reduce the heat released into the kitchen when you bake fries. Doesn't deal with the energy use, but at least you can still bake in the summer. :)

Thanks so much!! Since we don't have A/C and my kitchen is in almost constant use, it can get extremely hot in there. I will definitely try this.

I'm scared of deep frying so I do mine in the oven, but from scratch: slice into rounds, rub about 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of peanut oil onto them (they shouldn't be oily, just barely covered) and then bake at 400. They take only 20 minutes if you slice them thin enough.[/QUOTE]

Jenn! Buy a deep fryer!

Seriously. You can get a decent one for very little cash, generally, and they honestly make the whole process so much easier and less nerve-wracking. I don't love deep-frying on my stovetop (I make donuts sometimes) because it's a pain to store the oil, it's tricky to keep the temperature right, and I'm always worried the pot's going to somehow slide off the burner--a silly fear, I know, and for some reason I don't worry when making pasta sauce or braises or whatever else--but the deep fryer doesn't have those issues, and you can store the oil right in them.

I got a FryDaddy FryBaby for Christmas one year and used the heck out of it; it was small and easy to use, made enough fries for two people (okay, enough for me alone--I love fries) and heated up & cooked much faster than a pot on the stove. Now I have a big DeLonghi deep fryer with a big basket, and I use it at least once a week--we have hamburger night every Friday night, so we have fries every Friday night. You don't even have to get your hand particularly close to the hot oil.

I know it seems contradictory to say if you're scared of deep-frying you should try buying something which will hold lots of hot oil, but really, they're so easy to use.

(BTW, I sometimes make potatoes as you described above, the thin slices. They're so good! Sometimes I use garlic-infused oil and sprinkle herbs on one side of the slices, too.)

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I must admit, I felt pretty clever when I figured it out. I like to use those lunch sized ice packs when I'm baking for an extended period (dozens of cookies) since I can switch them out and they refreeze quickly.

I'm generally averse to single-purpose small appliances, but I have been considering a deep fryer. I really want to try donuts, and I regularly get cravings for fried chicken that demand to be satisfied. Once I'm done school and restocking a bigger better kitchen, I'll definitely check out the DeLonghi.

Thanks so much!! Since we don't have A/C and my kitchen is in almost constant use, it can get extremely hot in there. I will definitely try this.

Jenn! Buy a deep fryer!

Seriously. You can get a decent one for very little cash, generally, and they honestly make the whole process so much easier and less nerve-wracking. I don't love deep-frying on my stovetop (I make donuts sometimes) because it's a pain to store the oil, it's tricky to keep the temperature right, and I'm always worried the pot's going to somehow slide off the burner--a silly fear, I know, and for some reason I don't worry when making pasta sauce or braises or whatever else--but the deep fryer doesn't have those issues, and you can store the oil right in them.

I got a FryDaddy FryBaby for Christmas one year and used the heck out of it; it was small and easy to use, made enough fries for two people (okay, enough for me alone--I love fries) and heated up & cooked much faster than a pot on the stove. Now I have a big DeLonghi deep fryer with a big basket, and I use it at least once a week--we have hamburger night every Friday night, so we have fries every Friday night. You don't even have to get your hand particularly close to the hot oil.

I know it seems contradictory to say if you're scared of deep-frying you should try buying something which will hold lots of hot oil, but really, they're so easy to use.

(BTW, I sometimes make potatoes as you described above, the thin slices. They're so good! Sometimes I use garlic-infused oil and sprinkle herbs on one side of the slices, too.)

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Re microwaved baked potatoes - I don't like them in the microwave either until I tried washing them (don't dry), piercing them with a fork and then wrapping them several times in a clean tea towel - you can do several in one towel - microwave til done. Individual times will vary depending on your microwave, and the number of potatoes.

I find that although they don't get the nice crispy skin when done in the regular oven, they are very good.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I find that, besides the skin not crisping, the texture of microwaved "baked" potatoes is slightly different than oven-baked - not as fluffy. Makes sense, since the microwave creates moist heat and steams them. Wrapping potatoes in foil before putting them in the oven gives a similar effect.

I prefer the true baked potato (cooked naked but for a smear of oil to help the skin crisp). But the microwave does a good enough job if I don't want to turn on the oven, & I still want potato.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I'm generally averse to single-purpose small appliances, but I have been considering a deep fryer. I really want to try donuts, and I regularly get cravings for fried chicken that demand to be satisfied. Once I'm done school and restocking a bigger better kitchen, I'll definitely check out the DeLonghi.

WAAAAY late to this party, but wanted to mention that I have an ancient deep fryer that I use for:

-- pasta -- inside the fryer basket, so all I have to do is lift the basket out, hook it on the fryer rim, and it's drained!

-- soup

-- pot roast (with veggies)

...but I've never used it for deep frying (cuz it's so old -- 1960 or so -- that it doesn't have a removeable oil bucket, and oooh, the mess). But it has excellent temperature control from very low to very high, and the sides get hot (not just the bottom) so stuff cooks evenly at a lower temperature than in a crockpot or in a kettle on the stove. And it uses relatively little power, probably because it holds in the heat efficiently.

I have no idea if modern deep fryers are this versatile.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember in the mid to late 80's when microwave ovens were coming down in price and becoming more a more common kitchen appliance. One company sold microwave hamburgers, fries, and chocolate shakes.

No, you didn't read that wrong and no, I'm not kidding.