All Recipes for All Seasons! Let's have them!

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Got a simple recipe, but damn is it good.

Ingredients:
2 Chicken breasts, cooked and seasoned with salt and pepper
16 oz sour cream
1 can cream of chicken
Prepared stuffing/dressing

Shred chicken and layer the bottom of a casserole dish with the pieces. For the next layer, alternate dallops of sour cream and cream of chicken (you can smooth it out if you want, but it melts down). Then, layer the stuffing on top (as much as you want) and cook on 375 for about a half an hour. Simple, but damn is it good.

I want some right now, actually.... *tummy grumbles*

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Dragging this one out from under a rock...

More cooking stuff!! (I get this way sometimes. Please humor me. :D )

So, I was reading something recently about Rachel Ray and her plan for meals on $40 a day.

*blink*blink*

$40 a day?!?! You gotta be kidding me! There would barely be enough left of my paycheck to put gas in the truck! Who are these people who can spend $1,200 on groceries every month and what do they do for a living?

I need some cheap-eats recipes. That's what I can afford.

Ok, so with some Googling, I learned that her $40 a day plan is for eating out, but still. When Mr. Vagabond and I travel, we are cheap beyond all cheapness. The dollar menu is definitely our friend! This summer, we've been working on the house. A LOT. Since we're working in a house with no electricity, we got into the habit of eating at a pizza joint for lunch every day. That became expensive very quick.

So we bought a cooler. That's the ticket for cheap eats. Sammiches and lemonade!

But I'm thinking that we won't be doing the cooler thing for long. Soon, we'll be in the house and actually back to wandering to the fridge for lunch. For the record, Mr. Vagabond hates sandwiches. Anyone have lunch ideas that don't involve two slices of bread, mayo and sliced meat?

Last edited:

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
If you have a Trader Joes nearby, this is a good one to try.

Chicken Enchiladas express!
One can of white chicken. TJ brand.
One package tortillas
One bottle of Pineapple Salsa. TJ's again!
One bottle of TJ's enchilada sauce.
One bag of shredded mozzarella cheese.

Drain liquid from can of chicken, mix with half the bottle of enchilada sauce, 1/2 bottle of pineapple salsa, and two cups shredded cheese.

Put two tablespoonfuls of mixture on each tortilla, roll and place in baking dish. (Do this until chicken filling is gone. Approx 6 to 8 enchiladas.)

Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas, and add another handful of cheese.

Put it in the oven and bake for 20-30 min. at 400. (canned chicken is already cooked, so you are just heating it up and melting the cheese!)

Enjoy! (with a blackberry margarita!)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
uh, YUM!!!! That sounds fantastic!

Zero on the Trader Joes in Tennessee, much less in Knoxville. Bummer. I do have Kroger, though, and I live on their store brands. They have the best sales. Every week they stock new bins with $1 items. Technically they are 10 for $10, but Kroger doesn't make you buy in bulk. On any given week, they have everything from liquid soap, toothbrushes, cereal, pasta, shells & cheese, paper towels - tons of stuff.

Today I bought 2 boxes of Kroger brand cereals, Kroger salsa, Kroger spaghetti noodles, Kroger tortilla chips, Kroger milk (not $1, but still under $5 - better than other brands). I do love me some sales!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I have a quick, cheap dinner and it's really good too. This evolved when I was a military wife and shopping on almost no money at the commissary.

Top Crust Chicken Pot Pie

2-3 skinned, deboned chicken breasts
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 can peas, drained
1 can carrots, drained
Baking mix (like Bisquick or Jiffy)
Milk
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil

Coat a large skillet with olive oil
Sprinkle pan lightly with salt & pepper
Cut chicken breasts into 1"-2" cubes and cook in skillet until no longer pink inside
In large casserole dish, add peas, carrots and both cans of soup
Stir chicken into casserole dish, mixing everything together well

For the top crust, this is really by your preference. We like a thick crust. Mix a batch of baking mix according to the directions for biscuits. Drop by spoonfuls onto the top, but close enough together so they'll form a full crust.

Since the chicken is already cooked, you're really only baking this long enough to get the crust done. I bake mine in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden on top.

Prepare to be lazy and do nothing after eating.

For total carb overload, serve with mashed potatoes. :)

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I love recipe swaps! *frantically sorts through thread*

And here's one of my personal favorites for a very rich, moist cake. Don't worry, the alcohol all cooks out:

Whiskey Cake

1 box white or yellow cake mix
1 pkg vanilla instant pudding
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 cup chopped nuts (I prefer walnuts)
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 BAD bourbon (and I mean the cheapest nastiest stuff you can find)
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup oil
5 eggs (4 if very large)

mix well, pour in greased & floured bundt pan
bake at 350 for 1 hour

Last edited:

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Here's a few "sweet" recipes:

Banana Blueberry Pie

1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 (12 ounce) cool whip
2 graham cracker crusts
1 can blueberry pie filling (or any kind of pie filling you want)
3 bananas

Cream together cream cheese, sugar and cool whip. Slice bananas in single layers and place into bottom of crust (if you want you can put a few on top of pie). Cover with creamed mixture 1/2 in each pie. Cover top with blueberry pie filling. Chill.

Chocolate Pancakes

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cocoa
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1 cup milk chocolate chips
cool whip
powdered sugar

Sift flour, soda, sugar, salt and cocoa into large bowl. Break eggs into bowl. Beat lightly and add milk. Melt butter and cool. Set aside. Add egg mixture to flour and mix. Stir in melted butter and chocolate chips. Cook on a lightly greased griddle. Dust with powdered sugar and top with cool whip.

My sixth grade math teacher (it's her recipe) made these for all her students at the end of the year. They are delicious!

Dirt Cake

1/2 stick butter, softened
8 ounce cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
3 1/2 cup milk
2 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
1 (12 ounce) cool whip, thawed
1 (12 ounce) oreo cookies

Finely chop oreos in food processor (or you can do it like we do and put them in a zip-lock bag and smash them). Divide into thirds. Cream butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix pudding and milk about 2 minutes. Fold in cool whip. Stir in cream cheese mixture. Place 1/3 oreos on bottom, add 1/2 of the creamy mixture. Repeat 1/3 oreos and other half cream mix. End with last 1/3 oreos. Refrigerate overnight or til well set.

You can get creative with this one and put gummy worms or whatever in it.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Jay! I made your cold remedy last night, only I changed it into an Irish concoction. I used Whiskey instead of vodka, rum or gin. Now I'm on Vitamin C, Echinacea, Goldenseal, Zinc and a nifty B complex. Off to get chicken soup.

(waaa...sniffle...cough)

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this for Yeshanu.

There are a bunch of veggie recipies in here

There is also this: Boop Boop tee Doop

Of course I am also bumping this for my own devious purposes.

Only Carole knows for sure....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yet another zombie thread crawls from under it's stone, mysteriously reanimated and transported to the cooking forum.

Beware!

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Kashmiri-Style Kidney Beans & Turnips

I know I posted this on another thread recently, but I just can't remember which one.
It's intriguing enough to share again (stolen from Allrecipes site):

Kashmiri-Style Kidney Beans & Turnips
  • 2 turnips, peeled and cubed
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
  • 1 cup finely chopped red onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri garam masala
  1. Place turnips into a saucepan with the water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the turnip is soft, about 5 minutes. Once tender, stir in the kidney beans, and cook 5 minutes more.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the cumin and fennel, and cook until the spices toast and become fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the onion, and cook until it turns golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the minced ginger and garlic, cook and stir for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes and salt, and continue cooking until the mixture turns pasty. Finally, stir in the paprika, turmeric, ground ginger, and 2 tablespoons water; cook 2 minutes more.
  3. Add the tomato mixture to the turnips, and simmer 10 minutes. Season with garam masala before serving.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Uber-Simple Italian Sauce

I'm making a batch of this right now, so I thought I'd share my mother in law's recipe. It's really easy, and REALLY good. My boys will eat this plain, just dipping bread into it.

1/4 C olive oil
1 large clove garlic, or two small cloves (minced)
2 Tbsp parsley
1 tsp Basil
2 quarts tomatoes, sieved (I use canned, crushed tomatoes)
1 small can Tomato paste
Salt & Pepper to taste

Once you have everything together, it goes really fast. Set your burner to a low-medium heat. Pour the oil in heated kettle or a very deep skillet. Lightly brown your garlic in the oil, and then add the parsley and basil. Stir it around a bit and then add the tomatoes and tomato paste. Raise the heat to medium and take it to a slight boil, stirring fairly often to prevent sticking.

Lower the heat to a gentle simmer, cover and just go back & check it once in a while. It should take about an hour to cook. Everything will mellow together into this delicious sauce good for any Italian dish that you might use typical spaghetti sauce for.

Although this recipe calls for salt and pepper, you might want to wait until it's finished cooking and taste it before adding any. I almost never add salt or pepper. It just doesn't need it, in my opinion.

You can add meat--my mother in law always uses ground pork. If you add meat, add raw meat at the beginning so that the flavors combine. Adding cooked meat will hurt the flavor a lot--it will tend to taste more like two separate things in the same sauce. Also add about 2 additional hours of simmering to the pot.

You can also help out an anemic canned sauce by going through the oil, garlic, parsley and basil bit and then adding the canned sauce to it. Just don't use quite as much for one can or jar of sauce. Even olive oil alone will really make canned sauce better.

Last edited:

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I don't yet have any recipes to contribute but this thread really makes me wish I knew how to cook. Just thought I'd bring it back from the abyss, what with the season change and all. :)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Thread mysteriously arises from the dead.

Quick someone. Breathe life into it.

Recipes. We need recipies.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'll go. Here's a new favorite from Allrecipes 'cause I have to start eating healthier (No, that does NOT mean giving up my bacon. Sorry, ain't happenin'.):

Bacon-y Bok Choy

INGREDIENTS:
4 slices bacon, chopped
2 pounds baby bok choy
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon minced garlic
salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:

1. Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon and drain the fat, reserving one tablespoon of the grease in the skillet. Add the olive oil, onion, red pepper flakes and garlic. Cook and stir over medium heat until the onions are starting to be tender.

2. Add the bok choy, and place a lid on the pan. Let cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the lid; cook and stir until the bok choy is tender but still crunchy, about 2 minutes. Stir in the bacon, and season with salt. Serve piping hot!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yay, recipes! Lemme add my favorite guacamole recipe

Spicy Guacamole

3 large Haas avocados
1 large tomato (or 3 Roma tomatoes, whichever)
1 white onion
4-5 serrano chiles
Handful of cilantro, chopped (I just eyeball it, honestly)
1 tablespoon sea salt
2 tablespoons lime juice

Combine onion, tomato, chiles, cilantro and sea salt into a paste. (I usually pitch them all into my food processor for this) Take care when handling the chiles -- they WILL burn your hands!

Halve the avocados, removing pits and scraping as much as you can from the peels. Chop roughly before adding to the paste, then add the lime juice and combine well until you achieve the desired texture. Me, I like mine kind of lumpy.

Grab your chips and munch away!

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'll go. Here's a new favorite from Allrecipes 'cause I have to start eating healthier (No, that does NOT mean giving up my bacon. Sorry, ain't happenin'.):

Bacon-y Bok Choy

Bacon-fried bok choy is one of my favorite veggies (though bok choy fried in schmaltz might be even better). I made it for Memorial Day with bacon that I cure and my dad smokes, and I don't think that recipe's ever tasted better.

My recipe contribution is Creamy Green Onion Soup from care2.com (found in a fruitless search for a green onion broth recipe), with some alterations.

Original recipe:

INGREDIENTS
4 tablespoons butter
6 bunches scallions
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
5 cups vegetable broth
2 cups small mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup heavy cream

1. In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, melt the butter and add the green onions, along with salt and pepper to taste. Saute for a few minutes, until the onions are softened, then add broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.

2. Add 1 cup of the mushrooms. Puree in a food processor or blender until smooth, then put the soup back in the pot, add the cream and the remaining mushrooms, and heat gently (do not boil) until the mushrooms are tender.

3. Serve warm.

Serves 4.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/creamy-green-onion-soup-recipe.html#ixzz33ucU0Ga4

My changes:

I use only one bundle of green onions, very rarely two, because I misread the recipe. I also use two containers of baby mushrooms, instead of two cups. It's a much more mushroomy soup, but I like it better that way.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Bacon-fried bok choy is one of my favorite veggies (though bok choy fried in schmaltz might be even better). I made it for Memorial Day with bacon that I cure and my dad smokes, and I don't think that recipe's ever tasted better.

My recipe contribution is Creamy Green Onion Soup from care2.com (found in a fruitless search for a green onion broth recipe), with some alterations.

Original recipe:

INGREDIENTS
4 tablespoons butter
6 bunches scallions
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
5 cups vegetable broth
2 cups small mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup heavy cream

1. In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, melt the butter and add the green onions, along with salt and pepper to taste. Saute for a few minutes, until the onions are softened, then add broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.

2. Add 1 cup of the mushrooms. Puree in a food processor or blender until smooth, then put the soup back in the pot, add the cream and the remaining mushrooms, and heat gently (do not boil) until the mushrooms are tender.

3. Serve warm.

Serves 4.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/creamy-green-onion-soup-recipe.html#ixzz33ucU0Ga4

My changes:

I use only one bundle of green onions, very rarely two, because I misread the recipe. I also use two containers of baby mushrooms, instead of two cups. It's a much more mushroomy soup, but I like it better that way.
That sounds really, really good.

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
The mushroom and green onion is my favorite soup. I actually planted green onions this year just to see if I can get enough to make a batch of this (they're giving me more trouble than everything else, though).

Tonight's dinner was a spring onion and bacon frittata with some amazing early-season strawberries from the Amish down the road. Yesterday was pork pot-sticker dumplings, which I hadn't made in ages. They weren't my prettiest, but they were still amazing.