Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It is pretty big. You can shrink it if you want with a Ctrl and a dash (it's Ctrl and a plus sign when you want to put it back tomorrow)

I like the font, but it does feel big to me.

Thanks for the avvie love. I found it when I put teen and steampunk into some picture search somewhere.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm just not used to it. Looks like we're reading at least a 14 or 15 point font, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the help, Sage ;) Also love the avi.

Moni

Literary vampire Mongering words
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! I'm finding the font awesome too! About finding the boards it's funny because I subscribed to this thread, so I can find it easily. So I didn't notice all the new designations until I went to click on the User CP.

That IS a nice avi Sage! So pretty!

Kyva...I've started something INSANE 60k in 60 days....but it'll be up on Kindle when all is said & done so I'll be able to say that I have something published when I do query letters! LOL Sorry that you've been sick lately....it sucks I know...I haven't been feeling so hot myself. Glad that you've been feeling better lately though. Hope that it's all up from here.

Ok...I'm settled in bed with the laptop so if I accidently fall asleep I'm in the right place. Time to work on this awesome new idear that I have! LOL

I'll check back in after while!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Moni, you're going to love November, when I introduce you to NaNoWriMo.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun challenge Moni. One note I'd make though is not to mention it in the query letter. I don't think agents are too concerned about books published electronically or self published as opposed to being published by something such as a magazine or small publishing house.

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling 100%. Much luck on the new idea, I'll check back later.

Also, I second what Sage says. Last year was my first time doing Nano and while there were points of wanting to pull my hair out and panicking, I wouldn't have finished writing the first draft of my memoir without it.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I second Kyva about the self-publishing. Agents really only care about e-publishing if it's a very well-respected e-publisher and self-publishing if you've sold tons of books. That doesn't mean that if you want to post something for reading on Kindle, you can't. It just doesn't count to agents. (And personally, I would make sure it's super-polished before doing so or under a pseudonym, just in case an agent finds it in a google search of you).

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Moni, you're going to love November, when I introduce you to NaNoWriMo.

Sounds like a fun challenge Moni. One note I'd make though is not to mention it in the query letter. I don't think agents are too concerned about books published electronically or self published as opposed to being published by something such as a magazine or small publishing house.

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling 100%. Much luck on the new idea, I'll check back later.

Also, I second what Sage says. Last year was my first time doing Nano and while there were points of wanting to pull my hair out and panicking, I wouldn't have finished writing the first draft of my memoir without it.

Not to disappoint you, but I've heard of NaNo & have signed up for it already...I'm anxiously awaiting my opportunity to participate! Is it fall yet? ROFL

I don't understand why mentioning it in a query would be a bad thing? The only reason I say this is because isn't a publishing a publishing as long as I'm not making stuff that looks like it was written by my cat while chasing mice through the Sarhara Desert on Leap Day? Maybe I'm being naive here. Yes....I still have an entire butt ton to learn in this industry. UGH

Ok...back to attempting to get this thing done.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
It's not to say self-publishing is evil and should be avoided, just that it's not as significant I suppose. If you wanted, you could try posting a few chapters on Scribd, Inkpop or Authonomy. Authonomy is run by HarperCollins and Inkpop is run by HarperTeen. While Inkpop is geared more toward teens, it could be a great tool to use as well.

Both sites work in such a way that the highest voted/read stories get placed on the editor's desk. Those stories are then looked at by Harper and then notes are given to the author on things such as strengths and weaknesses. It's rumored a few of the books actually have gotten deals, but I'm not incredibly sure.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Moni, the reason it isn't significant is because anyone can publish on the Kindle or through sites like Createspace. I've self-published in the past, but have never mentioned it in my query letters. I've also been scammed because of past publishing endeavors. This obviously isn't something I share with agents or publishers I submit to, but for me it was a part of the learning process.

Now, while I do plan on self-publishing my memoir in the end, I've read about being an independent publisher for years. I do want to try querying first though. Self publishing right now is a fallback plan.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Kyva's right on the money. Since anyone can self-publish at any time, with any quality of work, agents don't see it as a publishing credit unless the public is buying it in mass quantities (which suggests that it was actually really good). Basically, the world of self-published books can end up looking just like the slushpile. Some books may be brilliant, some may have been brilliant with a little guidance from agents and publishers, and some are just awful.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
However, there are authors who tried the professional route, couldn't find enough interest and then published on their own. For example, Amanda Hocking started publishing her paranormal series last April on Kindle. This was after trying her best to do things the professional way. Her ebooks have since been a hit and because of her success, she's gotten an agent and a publishing deal.

Thing is, this almost never happens. She worked hard to get to where she is and a lot of it came from word of mouth. While she could go on self publishing and marketing her own work, it's taken a lot away from doing what she likes most-writing. So, once a deal was on the table, she took it earlier last month (think that's about right, the timing could be off).

There are a handful of others like her who tried the professional route, had not interest and self published. Thing to keep in mind is success among independent publishers is so rare. There are a few members here who have been successful, but again, they worked extremely hard and continue to do so.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Happy April's Fools, guys!!

I love the change on AW....altho the Twilight one a couple of years ago was HILARIOUS!!!

How goes it everybody?

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Those Harper sites sound really interesting. I might hafta check them out when I wake up (I'm going to hit the hay...been up ALLL night long as USUAL woke up "late" today 2:30 pm) since I'm really feeling the tired pulling on my eyelids. *SIGH*

I guess what you said is true about the anyone can publish thing since that one example of what NOT to do was published in that way & from what the reviewers & readers have said it was full of errors & such. I don't want to be lumped in with that sort of work since I'm trying really hard to get something decent out there & make a decent career out of it. I don't expect to have the success that Ms. Hocking has, that's a once in a lifetime kinda deal that's SWEEEEEEET if you can get it...but it's certainly not expected.

All right. Until later on today! Don't take any wooden nickles....don't take much of anything at face value.....and stay safe all!

Thank you Sage & Kyva for your invaluable input as usual!

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Morning June, doing well, you?

You're welcome Moni. I didn't mean to sound harsh if I did. Hope the info helps.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all, I only noticed the font change/color change. You see I have this spot saved in bookmarks. So that way I just click on it in the title bar. I am with Moni, had no idea and still don't what the main board looks like. Don't think I am going. Should have book marked other things too. Lol. Oh well... Chuckle.:tongue

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I subscribe to threads and forums, so I knew where to go from my User CP

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Morning June, doing well, you?

You're welcome Moni. I didn't mean to sound harsh if I did. Hope the info helps.

Glad to hear you're doing well.

I'm hanging in there. Been writing a super sekrit project....um, not exactly, lol, but I'm pushing to finish by April 5th, so that I'll have written it in a month!! I seem to have good luck with books written in a month. I did that with DHtP, lol. I'm at 31K right now.

Today is the day before we get out for Spring Break. PRAISE THE LORD! I have all Seniors, and today is also "play a teacher day" in the fact that all the major positions in school are being played by a Senior, lol. The cutest is the pregnant counselor has a "mini-me" who even put a shirt in to have a bump, lol.

I had some girls and two guys ask to be me, lol. I don't know what that says about me that I had two guys wanting to do it.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Note to everyone who is lost, if you were in here yesterday and want to get back to where you were, you can follow you old trail thru 'history' in your browser. Lol. That is what I am doing!

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
June, that sounds like a lot of fun. Yay for spring break! Right now I'm battling the idea of writing my memoir as a memoir, using it as a base for a YA fiction as well as writing it in present or past tense. It's currently a memoir written in present tense which I like, but as a memoir, I'm not sure how it'll do.

Maybe I'll try querying first and then decide. Today is a tired day. We have the most insane snow flakes, they're about the size of a 50 cent piece.

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Here's my thoughts on self-pubbing.....

I do think what has happened with Amanda Hocking as well as the surge of ebooks with the Kindle, Nook, etc, is going to change the self-pubbing industry.

It is true that anyone can publish absolute crap without editing and stuff like that. And those unfortunately give others in self-pubbing a bad name.

However, I'll be doing kinda a one step up from self-pubbing by locally pubbing my adult Southern Literary fic. I queried it, came close with two Christian agents, but no dice. Since it's kind a niche market, and I'll do decent in my area b/c of the subject matter and all.

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Sage,

I love the Steampunk avi! Tre cool.

Good luck, Kyva with the memoir to YA. I can't believe how some places still have snow. Ugh...Altho, it is pretty chilly here in GA....yesterday our high was in the 40's.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Cool avi, Sage. :)

Yikes, they've changed the title of this thread since I was on it earlier!

Have you all contributed to the unofficial vote about the theme yet? After all the hard work that's gone into it, I think it would be a shame for it to be just a one day thing. And some of these smilies are cool! :gone:

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
OMG what happened?! O.O everything suddenly looks awesome... >.>

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
June, I can understand self-pubbing in cases such as that and I do agree, the world of self -pubbing is in fact changing. Although I don't think it's enough to list within a query letter as a credit.

I've thought of self-pubbing my novel from last year, I'm just waiting to get a few replies back before I go along with it. I have a feeling my memoir would be best if self published since it has to lot to do with the area I live in. However, since it has other themes as well, I'm going to throw a few queries out there first.

Better to try and fail than to not try at all and then end up wondering what if.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I don't have the money to self-publish. Not to mention no money to advertise and promote. lol

Where do we unofficially vote to keep things like this! I like it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.