Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Getting through the Great Swampy Middle (which was mostly before the halfway point if things continue word count-wise) was greatly facilitated by having two 10K Saturday challenges during that part. Then Taylor found out he was an android at about 40K, and I could not stop writing. I seriously glare at people at work when they try to talk to me because I'd rather be thinking about my novel than talking to them (of course, I'd much rather be at home writing than there at all, but sadly I have to work).

I'm honestly the same way. Thankfully during the summer, at my school job, i'm able to write while in work, because there is nothing else for me to do. That's how i was able to finish my last 185K book in three months! Its an amazing thing, to technically get paid for writing.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, no, the fact that Malinda is probably really in love with Justin (the other android) and that Taylor maybe only loves her because of Justin's feelings is a huge issue in the book. But this is an intellectual reasoning, and romance isn't always intellectual.

If Malinda were to win, plotwise, it'd be because Taylor went against his main programming (ignoring the fact that actually it's Justin that programs him to love Malinda, lol). But if I were to let her win, it'd really be because of the nature of the scenes and how romantic they feel compared to his scenes with Rosie (as I remember them, from like 20-30K back--poor Rosie).

The intention is for Rosie to win. I just have to get her back in there and build the romance back up, instead of having them fight all the time.

Wishing Rosie well. :)

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm honestly the same way. Thankfully during the summer, at my school job, i'm able to write while in work, because there is nothing else for me to do. That's how i was able to finish my last 185K book in three months! Its an amazing thing, to technically get paid for writing.

Holy cow! That's kind of amazing. You know that, right?

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
So I've been told. Its my new record to beat now. hehehehe

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
We have to account for every 15 minute increment of our day, so I never get to write at work. The best I can hope for is time to read while I do something that takes a lot of waiting

These days I walk around with headphones on listening to novel-related music.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind when we're busy, like we have been this week, but when we're slow and we've done all the lab op stuff and cleaning, it's like, "Whyyyyy?"

In a perfect world, we would have exactly enough work for 8 hours for one person and that one person would be me and I'd never have to deal with anyone else in the lab. But usually it's more like we have 2 hours of work and 5 people in that day or 10 hours of work and 1 person in that day.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I sort of am.

I'm trying to figure out if continuing Unsung Zeros is worth it. (I'm kind of stuck... worrying about potential lawsuits, and trying to figure out how to think like a guy then it comes to girls....)

Then i just changed my whole series around, and am wondering if i should go back and start fixing things in the last book that i need to change.

Meanwhile, i've been working on edits on my first book, and well as i was reading it i changed one little thing which had a horrible snowball effect, and now I've changed and am still changing alot. (At least i'm getting the massive word count down)

And i'm still searching for a beta reader for my fantasy book...

Yeah i'm in-between alot of stories and projects...

5398cane

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
No, I'm just trying to finish one. I was so excited to get to 9,000 words, and then I cut 4,000. For the betterment of the story, of course, but still super sad...

That's ok cutting the fat is a sad part of the process. I keep all of that stuff in a file sometimes later on you find a few gems in it.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I do the same thing! I keep all the stuff i delete. Either to look back and go "What the hell was i thinking" or "Hey that wasn't actually that bad!"

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
And, if you were interested, my LS cover can be found here

ETA: Or you know, right here
<--

Last edited:

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Uh oh. Can I ask why?

So UZ is a Fictional story but also fictional retelling based on my actual past. I changed all the actual names dont add much description, and sort of took some liberties when it came to some incidents (like i squashed things that happened over years into single events.)

Alex's past and the events she flashes back on, are things that are based on stuff that happened to me, but other then that the bullies the characters are based end up becoming completely fictional characters.

For example the twins in grade school who actually ruined my life, are at the moment (from what Facebook tells me) both married with children. But in my fictional retelling there characters are in college and party animals. The characters end up very far off and completely different from what these people in real life became, hence why this is a fiction book.

But after looking around i discovered these people, if they realized i wrote it and the characters bare any resemblance to themselves, they can sue me. Even if i'm using a pen name, and change characters names. And although none of these people would ever read the book I'm just worried. So I've stopped for a little bit to do more research on it all.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I think that using your actual experiences from your life is perfectly valid, and that you really don't have to worry about how you portrayed those bullies in the future of your novel.

IANAL, but assuming that these incidents from your life aren't really public knowledge, there's no reason that anyone could claim that you're libeling them. There'd have to be a clear connection between the characters and themselves (and you've changed the names and I assume the descriptions and the incidents themselves somewhat). To do that, they'd first have to admit to being those bullies in real life, which really would do more damage to their image than any fictional portrayal you might put those characters in.

Secondly, think of how you would have handled this before today's ability to track people through social media. You would have no idea how they grew up. You would have no connection at all to them except through your memories.

Finally, I say that if they do sue you, sue them right back for mental trauma when you were a kid. I mean, really, what defense would they have if they came out and admitted it?

I might ask this one more publicly on AW (in the novels or Roundtable section), since there are actual lawyers here.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I assumed and was really hoping for. But you right i should ask this question somewhere on here! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.