Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
In one of my novels (that I will totally self-pub under a pen name if I don't get an agent or get an agent but doesn't want to shop it) the MC's name is Shawn. And it's a girl. I love boy names for girls. Or at least names that have a boyish nick name. In my paranormal romance thriller my main character is Sam(antha). And in my current wip, the MC's bff is Alex (short for Alexandra). But I LOVE the name Shawn for a girl. I really love her. And her story. :D (dystop thriller)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w9jr1qlQys

Here it is,Kim! I won't have it up for long. I don't want to get in trouble.

Let me know what you think!

Very cool, kitty! is that you in the vid (and in your siggy)?

ETA: oh and i love the vampire diary stuff (which is why i assume you can't leave it up there long?). my hubs and i just started watching season 1 about 2 weeks ago and we're really loving it. in fact, i have to go because that's what we are going to do right now. :D

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
In one of my novels (that I will totally self-pub under a pen name if I don't get an agent or get an agent but doesn't want to shop it) the MC's name is Shawn. And it's a girl. I love boy names for girls. Or at least names that have a boyish nick name. In my paranormal romance thriller my main character is Sam(antha). And in my current wip, the MC's bff is Alex (short for Alexandra). But I LOVE the name Shawn for a girl. I really love her. And her story. :D (dystop thriller)

Okay,are you spying on my computer?

I have a MC in a paranormal romance named Samantha and another named Sean.

I will be watching you from now on,Melly!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I do love many of my character names which I will probably never get to use on actual children. My current favorite name is Malaki, a pale-skinned, blue-mohawked militant lesbian in my dystopia.

Yeah, I love too many of my character names to choose :D

Kitty27

Registered
Reaction score
Very cool, kitty! is that you in the vid (and in your siggy)?

Thanks! My friend whipped it up for me.

No,that's KeKe Palmer,one of my daughter's favorite actresses and who I envision playing Yvette one day! I sort of based Yvette's physical appearance on her.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
I think a good baby name is different than what you name a baby. I always liked the name Margo, but never got to use it because I have three boys. It seems one of those rare names that is cute for a baby and suitable for an adult.

You could play with this tool, Lisa. Just type in a name and you can see its popularity over the years. It is fun.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#

Love the book trailer. I think the hardest part would be finding the music and getting around the copyrights.

Kitty27

Registered
Reaction score
I think a good baby name is different than what you name a baby. I always liked the name Margo, but never got to use it because I have three boys. It seems one of those rare names that is cute for a baby and suitable for an adult.

You could play with this tool, Lisa. Just type in a name and you can see its popularity over the years. It is fun.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#

Love the book trailer. I think the hardest part would be finding the music and getting around the copyrights.

Thank you! I am taking it down soon. I don't want any drama,lol! I just wanted my fellow writers to see it.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys.

On the subject of baby names, Lisa is TAKEN FROM (i.e. it's not my full name!) Elisabeth and means "God's oath.". My middle name is Michelle, which is what my dad wanted to call me.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I finally submitted the evil coursework, which means that I can pretty much focus on Paragon Academy again! :D :snoopy:

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Sounds like a fun conference. Are you part of the Linguistic Society of America or the American Dialect Society? I want to join. LOL.

Whoops, sorry JKR! I didn't see this until I went hunting for something else. I confess to having a complex whereby I assume I'm inherently uninteresting and that no one has ever commented back, and so if the thread has moved a lot, I sometimes don't check to see if anyone did.

I'm in both LSA and ADS--I work on American English dialects. :) So if anyone ever needs feedback not only on "Does my dialogue sound natural" but "Does it actually match what's been documented academically for people who speak this dialect," I'm your gal. :D

And I was hunting back to find my quote to nightowling with sympathy for the loss of her cat, because apparently, I was prophetic in worrying about my totally healthy boy. In the last 48 hours, he suddenly went from happy, healthy cat to being in kitty ICU. So now I'm waiting for news. It could be something totally treatable, or I may have to put him down, and they can't tell yet. Sad Jess. :(

Last edited:

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
And I was hunting back to find my quote to nightowling with sympathy for the loss of her cat, because apparently, I was prophetic in worrying about my totally healthy boy. In the last 48 hours, he suddenly went from happy, healthy cat to being in kitty ICU. So now I'm waiting for news. It could be something totally treatable, or I may have to put him down, and they can't tell yet. Sad Jess. :(

Oh no! :( I hope it is something treatable and he'll be fine. Sending good thoughts.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
JS! Good luck on your kitty. It's sad when pets get sick and they can't talk to us. Hate it. But I'm hoping for the best for your cat.

(And if it helps, I find you very inherently interesting!)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
:( Thinking about all of you and your pets.

So I know this is a little weird but I blogged about being fearless in writing and kicking self doubt in the faaaace. I was wondering if you all could leave a comment here - I'd love to hear a time where you did so (or didn't and got scared!) :)

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Jess, I am sorry about your kitty. ICU has to be doubly awful for a cat.

And for the record, I think you are interesting. I love your dialect and linguistic affiliations. Fascinating.

Smiley, with an invitation like that, I just have to check it out.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Smiley, be careful what you wish for, especially during my writing time. I may have written the longest blog comment about nothing ever posted on the 'net. Now I am wondering why my manuscripts are so light.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
JS, sorry about your kitty :(

Question for peeps who print off their MS for editing/revising.

What sort of formatting do you use? I'm looking to change things up, so it looks different to me, but I'd also like to save as much space as possible. I could puzzle around with it, but life is so much easier when others tell you the answers :)

I hope everyone is having a lovely Saturday.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
... I was prophetic in worrying about my totally healthy boy. In the last 48 hours, he suddenly went from happy, healthy cat to being in kitty ICU.

hoping he's okay, said a prayer for you and kitty.

Question for peeps who print off their MS for editing/revising.

What sort of formatting do you use? I'm looking to change things up, so it looks different to me, but I'd also like to save as much space as possible. I could puzzle around with it, but life is so much easier when others tell you the answers :)

I hope everyone is having a lovely Saturday.

I print my MS in Times New Roman, in 10-11 sized font, 1.5 to double spaced, and in as light a setting on black ink as my printer will allow :D

A great way to get the same effect and save paper is to put the Times font in size 9, and put the setting on 1.3 or 1.4 spacing. This cuts down on some pages, yet if you need to write edits inbetween the lines, it's possible to do so ;)

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.