Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Stiger, that is cool about meeting another AWer, kind of like meeting an old friend who you never met.

Most of my writer friends are in different parts of the country.

Dorothy, boo about the bump in your book launch. Glad you will have something to sign at BEA.

Starting revisions on a MG novel that has already been through a few rounds. I don't know what to do with it, but thought I'd give it another polish. Then I start the first round on the YA I just finished.

How often do you print out a book? I am thinking about printing both the MG and the YA to read through before diving in. I like to make notes in the margins and find things read different on paper. This will be the second time I printed out the MG.

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Dorothy, boo about the bump in your book launch. Glad you will have something to sign at BEA.

Thanks!

Starting revisions on a MG novel that has already been through a few rounds. I don't know what to do with it, but thought I'd give it another polish. Then I start the first round on the YA I just finished.

I'm revising an old YA myself. Don't know if I can salvage it or not, but we'll see.

How often do you print out a book? I am thinking about printing both the MG and the YA to read through before diving in. I like to make notes in the margins and find things read different on paper. This will be the second time I printed out the MG.

If anything, I print out a chapter or two (or three) I'm working on/revising. I rarely print the whole thing out anymore.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Dorothy, that sucks!

Stiger, that is cool about meeting another AWer, kind of like meeting an old friend who you never met.

Most of my writer friends are in different parts of the country.

Yeah! It was neat!

I usually get an ms printed when I send it to betas (usually when I finish the second draft). I take the whole thing to a print shop who prints it for about $15. It's easier for me to edit and catch typos and flow issues when I've got it on paper. If I make big changes based on beta feedback I'll print it again before submitting it.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score

I'm doing mine chapter by chapter--for the second time. The first time I printed the whole thing, but I think it looks less intimidating if I just do the chapter I work on.

Actually, I'm really annoyed with myself right now. I planned to go over chapter 3 and 4 this weekend only to leave chapter 3 at work -_-. I have to decide if I want to reprint or try to just do it on computer...but I like that second chance paper gives me to see all the changes.

Gah.

southbel

Bless Your Heart
Registered
Reaction score
Have to keep telling myself - finish the damn book! This rewrite of the middle is killing me.

Doesn't help that I had to come up with an idea yesterday that distracted me all day. Finally I just wrote the summary up so I could get it out and put it away.

Well, off to try again. I just can't seem to get this part right.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Track changes on Word is annoying me! Every time I open this one document, it has them on here. Go to change it so it's the final thing, without mark up, save it. Fine. Open it again, the markup is still there.

I'm worried it's going to affect the document when I go to submit it!

southbel

Bless Your Heart
Registered
Reaction score
Track changes on Word is annoying me! Every time I open this one document, it has them on here. Go to change it so it's the final thing, without mark up, save it. Fine. Open it again, the markup is still there.

I'm worried it's going to affect the document when I go to submit it!
You can save another version and disable tracking changes at all on it.

southbel

Bless Your Heart
Registered
Reaction score

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
OK, thanks. My document seems to be working normally now, so yeah...

Technology can be a bit of a pain sometimes, it has to be said!

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Been busy trying to shill...er...push:D my novel (see avi). Hard to find places to get it reviewed and promoted. Any ideas?

Did some work on my newest WiP, Catnip. I've gotten up to around 31000 words so far--needs a lot more revision, natch--but doing okay. Hope everyone is well. Tomorrow is Saturday in the land of the depreciating yen...work all day, my busiest day.

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
Been busy trying to shill...er...push:D my novel (see avi). Hard to find places to get it reviewed and promoted. Any ideas?

Did some work on my newest WiP, Catnip. I've gotten up to around 31000 words so far--needs a lot more revision, natch--but doing okay. Hope everyone is well. Tomorrow is Saturday in the land of the depreciating yen...work all day, my busiest day.

Wait, how long have you been working on your WIP that you have 31k already? I only have 10k on Beneath the Clouds. I want to write fast. :cry:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
A quick question: In a series, each book doesn't have to have the same timespan, right?

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Aw, I didn't make it through to the next round of The Writer's Voice (but I was on Brenda's shortlist, so that helped soften the blow somewhat!).

On the plus side, I've now joined Twitter (gasp) and have started following some of you (when I've been able to track you down). Are there any group hashtags that you guys use? Also, what does it mean when there's a #FF in a Tweet?? (Clueless newbie alert, lol!)

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
Aw, I didn't make it through to the next round of The Writer's Voice (but I was on Brenda's shortlist, so that helped soften the blow somewhat!).

On the plus side, I've now joined Twitter (gasp) and have started following some of you (when I've been able to track you down). Are there any group hashtags that you guys use? Also, what does it mean when there's a #FF in a Tweet?? (Clueless newbie alert, lol!)

#FF = #FollowFriday, I believe. (Or is it #FridayFollow?)

ETA: Lol, now I know who you are on twitter. I just added you before looking at your post. I saw you following me so I went, "Hmm, sure. Okay! *Follows back*" :tongue Glad I did.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score

Really? I figured you were a shoe in. At least you made the shortlist. Do they post who they picked? How many do they pick?

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Really? I figured you were a shoe in. At least you made the shortlist. Do they post who they picked? How many do they pick?

Aw, did you? Thanks! (That gives my confidence a bit of a boost! :)) I was the stats girl over on Twitter, so handily I have the numbers to hand, lol:

Monica - 12, 36, 85, 88, 114, 137, 141, 146 & alternate 8.

Brenda - 34, 37, 55, 60, 69, 96, 128, 143 & alternate 84.

Cupid - 28, 52, 53, 63, 64, 72, 76, 91 & alternate 57.

Krista - 14, 19, 35, 41, 94, 124, 127, 136 & alternate 3.

(Apparently, they'll use the alternate if somebody drops out, but if everybody stays in the competition they'll use all the alternates as well.)

I don't think anyone from AW got through (I didn't recognise any as being an AW member at any rate).

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, now I'm wondering if I have a new follower!

The writing is going very well, and hopefully it'll go even better NOW I HAVE NO MORE DEADLINES. :D

southbel

Bless Your Heart
Registered
Reaction score
How do you do it? When you're supposed to be revising but the shiny new idea is over there, hanging out, wanting to play.

Focus, focus, focus, I tell myself. But darn it, it's so shiny and new, I like it. In all fairness, I did work all day on my WIP. Got my three middle chapters looking a LOT better. The ending is still a bit eh on pacing. But I'm getting there.

I am happy I'm a fast first draft writer but darn it, that means a lot of time in the revision process!

TaintedBoo

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am happy I'm a fast first draft writer but darn it, that means a lot of time in the revision process!
Preaching to the choir! The first novel I wrote, I hammered out 180k words in two months, and spent the next year revising it. It felt like an endless avalanche with no escape in sight. I feel your pain. I've read your stuff in SYW, and you've got major talent. You'll get there. :)
As for new ideas, I keep a recipe box full of index cards, and label them accordingly. It's a good place for storing stuff I just don't have time for right now.

I've taken a new approach this time around, trying to get it as right as possible the first time out, which means a lot sloooooower pace. A different frustration, but frustration all the same.
The hubby asked what I wanted for Mother's Day, and I told him to take the kids and go somewhere. If I could get a full day of writing without any distractions that would be the best.gift.ever.

southbel

Bless Your Heart
Registered
Reaction score
Preaching to the choir! The first novel I wrote, I hammered out 180k words in two months, and spent the next year revising it. It felt like an endless avalanche with no escape in sight. I feel your pain. I've read your stuff in SYW, and you've got major talent. You'll get there. :)
As for new ideas, I keep a recipe box full of index cards, and label them accordingly. It's a good place for storing stuff I just don't have time for right now.

I've taken a new approach this time around, trying to get it as right as possible the first time out, which means a lot sloooooower pace. A different frustration, but frustration all the same.
The hubby asked what I wanted for Mother's Day, and I told him to take the kids and go somewhere. If I could get a full day of writing without any distractions that would be the best.gift.ever.
Too funny!! I told my husband almost the EXACT same thing!!! And thanks - I needed that. I'm very, very determined to get this complete WITH revisions. I'll likely be working on those for a long, long, long time to come. But it will be worth it when it's done.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

I'm working on putting my manuscript together and would like to do it right the first time -_-. Do you guys include a title page? And on that title page do you include your address?

I'm not sure about both questions. And, to throw in one more thing, should I include my address even though they can't send mail to it?

I might be overthinking this...

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, your first page should be your contact information at the top left, your word count at the top right, your title in the dead center, and your name or pen name just below it.

When you number your pages, you want to start on the first page of your story, not the title page. And that will have your last name and title next to the page number.

In Novels, there's a formatting thread somewhere.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I am heading to the BMV to renew my registration, since my birthday is on Monday. I am hoping that when I get back, Roomie will be here and we can have a calm conversation about selling the house. I've written an outline of the pros and cons of selling vs. refinancing, which is actually very focused on the benefits of selling to her, not me, but she's not around to go over it with her. Quite frankly, I'm tempted to leave it on the kitchen counter and let her find it if she comes home first. But I won't, even though she's done something similar in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.