• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What do you think of my characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacklevin1234

Registered
Reaction score
1. Gocay
2. Wang-Long
3. Julius
4. Kane
5. Sesshu
6. Snark the Mystic Wizard

img-31027_20131027204148_j-r-med.png

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
they are very nice. Do you have a story to go with them?

ancientgear

Peace exists because of pain
Registered
Reaction score
Well this is an awkward thread to reply to

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
Um. Maybe if I knew more about them than their names and faces? Also, in general, art should be posted in the Art & Design forum.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who sniggered at 'Wang-Long'? :D

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Hmm... in the off chance this is legit (since I don't recall you returning to your previous thread, and the name Wang-Long's setting off a few Troll Bells in my head):

Since you seem to like drawing your characters, you might consider visiting an art forum - ConceptArt.org's a good place to post, learn, and grow (if you're willing to accept instruction and criticism.) Otherwise, How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way's a good book to start with if you're interested in pursuing comic-style art.

I write this because, while you've clearly got imagination, art is like writing: both take practice and learning and more practice before you get the ideas out of your head and into the world without significant data loss. As it is, I'm having trouble imagining whole characters out of what I'm seeing here. These images tell me nothing, the names tell me little more.

Jolly-Boo

Please, call me Boo
Registered
Reaction score
They're going to destroy the evil lord who is called Sentinel. He's going to change the Earth to his world of chaos.

These drawings and this simple, cliche description reminds me of myself when I was relatively young. No offense just, just interesting to be older.

But, names and drawings is nothing to go by. And generic bad guy destroying everthing is nothing to judge a character by either. Seen Gladiator by chance? Theres a lot more to Commodus that "I want to rule!" Theres psychological reasons.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
They're going to destroy the evil lord who is called Sentinel. He's going to change the Earth to his world of chaos.

So, get writing! Make those pictures into characters that come alive on the page. If you want to write, those are the characters you need to worry about, the ones on the page (though I know drawing them helps some writers)

Write, write that pesky dark lord out of existence, write like your face is on fire.

Feel it, write it. Do it

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
hi Jack.

I THINK you should write, as drawings can be nice to help get your head straight (if you can draw; I can't) but they don't make a book, even if you're writing comics.

I SUSPECT you're tugging our love-bits here, because, well, you dropped a similar post (already linked) and never, you know....came back, participated, etc.

I hope I am wrong about #2.

TellMeAStory

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful
It's a start, jacklevin, a very good start, and one that puts you ahead of writers who struggle to come up with a workable idea of their characters' physical appearance.

Step number two might be to write a little bit of dialogue between two of those characters, just to see how things go for you. Are they still alive in your imagination? Can you still work with them?

Then maybe you can decide for yourself what step three might be and so on.

Eventually, you'll want to decide what the main character(s) want and what series of things will make that nearly impossible to achieve...and then you're on your way!

I look forward to seeing your first chapter in SYW when that glorious day arrives.

jacklevin1234

Registered
Reaction score
Gocay is a native american warrior who live his tribe. He's wise and a serious person.

Wang-Long is a young chinese kung fu martial artist who is very cheerful and likes to cook. He loves to fight his opponents.

Julius was originally a statue from Greece. He became a real person. He's an homosexual who wants to bring peace and love for all mankind.

Kane is an alien from an distant planet. He has 2 sons.

Sesshu is a japanese ninja from his clan. He's very strong and fast. He also has a scary mask.

The wizard Snark is a 5000-year old wizard who uses magic orb to survive.

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
Those sound like characters I would like to hear more of. Please do keep us posted on your progress, OK?

One thing: Julius is a Roman name, not a Greek one. I recommend either changing the name to something Greek (like "Epaminondas") or making it a Roman statue.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
This is a writer's board. Why do you keep showing us drawings?

I think nothing of your characters because one sentence and a sketch is not enough for me to try to form an opinion with.

I also think, on a tangentially-related subject, that needing the validation of others is a bad thing for an artist. It makes criticism sting too much, and that can lead to the artist giving up in dejection--which is not a good thing, because art has value to the artist even in the absence of an audience.

Also, seeking validation from others is a gratification we sometimes pursue instead of creating more art, i.e. it can be a form of procrastination.

When you ask us, "What do you think of my characters?", you should first ask yourself whether you genuinely want feedback or are fishing for compliments. If it's the latter, then avoid asking the question, because we're not here to pat your head, and it's a bad habit to allow your happiness to hinge on the opinions of strangers. (For starters, you can't trust them with your happiness. They won't care about it as much as you do.)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, if you want feedback on written characters then WRITE something about these characters.

A drawing, a name and a description mean nothing. SHOW me them in action. Tell me about them. Let me see who they are.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I woulld advise against a generic native American character wearing war paint and a headband with a feather in it. That's a land mine.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you ask?

I think Quick asks because some of your posts seem to be from someone quite young who is struggling a bit with elements of writing, namely character, which tends to suggest that the writer is younger and doesn't know enough of human nature / hasn't experienced enough to fully be able to express characterization.

Status
Not open for further replies.