Servants Wages in 1800's England

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a character in my new project who is a stable boy on a country estate. His position includes room and board. He is seventeen-years old. Does anyone know what his annual wage would be in the year 1800?

I have seen conflicting info. In some research books and online sources it says 25 pounds and others 11 pounds. In a recent romance novel, however, it has a stable boy who makes three pounds a year. This is a pretty broad range!

If anyone has any knowledge on this, it would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried looking for estate account books on the internet?

I haven't use those search terms, no. I did find a book from 1825 on google books that has wages tables for domestics and it gives a range for a stable boy between 8 - 12 pounds a year. I am not sure how much less the range would be in 1800. Is it too far of a stretch to estimate it at 4 - 8, do you think?

I will give the estate accounts a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone! Back to the research drawing board I go :)

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
For a stable boy, I think a lot could depend on the status and size of the house, the location, and the local custom. I wouldn't think it is unheard of for the boy to be paid in room, board, a new outfit a year, and perhaps a bonus at Christmas. I wouldn't boggle at anything between one and twenty pounds a year, if I were reading it. More than that I might question in my mind.

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
Okay - this is from 'The Dairy of a Country Parson' - James Woodforde. (Lived in Norfolk).

In 1798, Woodforde paid his staff the following (for the year)...

Farmer to tend his land - £10-0-0
Footman - £8-0-0
House-Maid - £5-5-0
Cook - £5-5-0
Yard-Boy £2-2-0

In 1799, Woodforde paid his curate £30-12-0.

In 1800, Woodforde paid his servant-boy £2-2-0.

In 1799, Woodforde earned £200. According to his Income Tax paid, that is.

- Though we have to remember that with the possible exception of the farmer, they also got bed & board.

- Woodforde also got free rent (the Rectory) as well as food from his land.

- I can't remember what it was, but I remember Woodforde letting his servant-boy leave, for he'd reached the age of 14 (I'm assuming that meant he'd become too old to the chores, and he didn't have enough 'adult' work to keep him on.)

I'm a little confused... your first post talks about 1800, then I see mention of the 1860's...

EDIT: Woodforde's income in 1800 was estimated to be around £400. It looks like he was doing the old game of fudging his tax-returns... :)

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
It would also depend on the number of horses, I would think. A team of two for a small surrey would only require part-time help as the house members could care for a pair, versus having a team of four or eight, plus plow horses and other sundry animals that would require daily care. Generally speaking, the stable boy also cared for other animals as well as just the horses. Pretty much anything that lived in the stables--donkeys, dairy cow, guard dogs (unless they lived with the weapons master), etc.

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses. I have been away from the board a bit while writing and only just saw them.