Submitting co-written manuscripts

Lycoplax

Registered
Reaction score
So, my husband and I write together, and it's only right that both our names appear on the cover of our work. Hitch is, I'm the only one between us with the time to query. Is there any particular way I should handle this? Do I query as two people together? (We, our, signed Mr. and Mrs. L.) Just myself, but mention my writing partner? (I and he, signed Mrs. L.) Any critical processes or details that I haven't even fathomed?

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on co-writing. It can be a very rewarding process. When my co-writer and I were querying, I was the one that had more time. So, it was written from my perspective. For example... "Co-writer's name and I...". It was then signed with my name, then her name after, then our individual phone numbers and email.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Kudos to all of y'all for collaborating with your partners! You are not alone. MY wife and I collaborate/co-write all the time. It can be rewarding beyond description - notwithstanding whether or not you elect to pursue publishing.

We've not actively sought representation beyond a few (very) limited inquiries, so our experience may not be the norm. At present we are unrepresented.

We've always been clear that the work is a collaborative effort and that we are only interested in team representation. Only one contacted agent cited an admittedly vague in-house agency policy of considering only individual representation contracts. Other than that solitary instance, we've had no reason to suspect that agents are otherwise predisposed to decline representation for co-writers/collaborative teams.

I would encourage you to query those agents who seem a good fit, and not worry about the work being a collaboration. If it's good enough, it'll all work out.

Lycoplax

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on co-writing. It can be a very rewarding process. When my co-writer and I were querying, I was the one that had more time. So, it was written from my perspective. For example... "Co-writer's name and I...". It was then signed with my name, then her name after, then our individual phone numbers and email.

Okay, that's pretty much how I've been drafting practice queries to get the feel of it. Cool.

Kudos to all of y'all for collaborating with your partners! You are not alone. MY wife and I collaborate/co-write all the time. It can be rewarding beyond description - notwithstanding whether or not you elect to pursue publishing.

We've not actively sought representation beyond a few (very) limited inquiries, so our experience may not be the norm. At present we are unrepresented.

We've always been clear that the work is a collaborative effort and that we are only interested in team representation. Only one contacted agent cited an admittedly vague in-house agency policy of considering only individual representation contracts. Other than that solitary instance, we've had no reason to suspect that agents are otherwise predisposed to decline representation for co-writers/collaborative teams.

I would encourage you to query those agents who seem a good fit, and not worry about the work being a collaboration. If it's good enough, it'll all work out.

Oh, it is rewarding. :D I know that very well. Writing was what brought us together in the first place. We were co-writing for fun for years before we decided to pursue writing, and our relationship, more seriously.

I know co-writers aren't nearly as common as singular writers, but I wish agencies would at least mention their policies for such things on their websites. (If any have, I haven't seen them) Ah well.

So, I seem to be on the right track so far. I haven't sent a query yet, as I'm still up to the eyeballs in revision. But three days of obsessive research has turned up a list of agencies I've got in sight for once I'm ready for that plunge. Thanks!