More than one agent at an agency

Taylor

Registered
Reaction score
On query tracker someone mentioned they were done submitting to agents at a certain agency, because they didn't see any more agents there that would be a fit for their work.

But I thought we can only submit to one agent at each agency.

Is that a definitive rule? Or does it only apply when it states that on the agency's website?

My mind is now swimming with wonderment. Thanks for the help!

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Depends on the agency. They will usually say "A no from one of us is a no from all" but if they don't but they have one general submissions email for all agents it usually means not to query more than once, even if they don't say so.

Otherwise it's usually okay, I believe.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, check each agency's individual guidelines.

Some of them pass queries on if they think another agent will be interested, some of them don't.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Yep, check each agency's individual guidelines.

Some of them pass queries on if they think another agent will be interested, some of them don't.

I thought the general guideline was the opposite -- don't submit to more than one agent at an agency unless they specifically tell you it's okay. Logic being that it's your job as the author to target the agent most appropriate for your book, not their job to let everyone have a peek and decide that for you.

Has this changed? Or I have I just been misguided the entire time?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
It all depends on the agency. Some are okay with it, some aren't. They usually mention it in their guidelines.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
I thought the general guideline was the opposite -- don't submit to more than one agent at an agency unless they specifically tell you it's okay. Logic being that it's your job as the author to target the agent most appropriate for your book, not their job to let everyone have a peek and decide that for you.

Has this changed? Or I have I just been misguided the entire time?

Well, since you're not going to submit simultaneously to multiple agents at the same agency, how does it hurt to try after one has rejected you? (Assuming there's not a "no from one is no from all" policy, etc.)

And often, agents at an agency will rep similar genres, or a book will be difficult to pinhole into one genre.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I have to admit, there's some promising agents that I never queried simply because someone else from their agency sent me a form rejection on an older version of the novel two years ago.

Which, now that I'm reading it back, is probably overstepping the bounds of agent politeness into just plain shooting myself in the foot. At the very least, I should look at the submission guidelines for these agencies and see what they say.

Taylor

Registered
Reaction score
^^^
Yeah that's what I have been doing too. I thought that was the standard. I'm definitely going to look into these agencies again.

Elizabeth Holloway

Pass the sugar
Registered
Reaction score
I have queried one agent at an agency, received a form rejection, waited a month or two and queried another agent at that same agency and received a full request. This has happened on more than one occasion. Of course, I checked the agency guidelines and only did this if it was NOT a 'no from one equals a no from all' agency. So, yes, it works and to not do so, in my opinion, can be like shooting yourself in the foot.
Happy querying!