How do you "read" a rejection & know what was really meant?

RN Hill

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas -- the part with some decent driving roads.
I hope this makes sense -- a friend has been querying on her YA novel (I'm her beta reader), and it's been critiqued by our writing group. She's even won a contest with this novel, but still no agent.

The latest rejection came yesterday, when the agent said she loved the writing, the voice, the concept -- but was looking for something to push her either way, towards rejection or acceptance, and "couldn't find it." She even admits she can't figure it out herself, which is why she ultimately rejected it.

What, precisely, does this mean? If the ingredients are there (her quote, not mine), then why not take a chance with an author whose writing you like, and see what editors have to say about the book? There were no suggestions, she didn't ask for rewrites, just . . . this very vague "my Spidey-senses aren't feeling it" thing. Is it okay to write her back and ask for clarification? Or is this all code for "your book sucks and I just don't want to tell you that?" :)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It's like dating. Sometimes the person on the other side of the table has all the right marks on paper, but they just don't make you go "wow!" If an editor doesn't feel that spark, then they're not going to be excited enough to do the best job for your book. Chalk it up to being on the right track (that was a GREAT rejection!) and send it out again.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be aware, too, that there are form letter rejections which use mail merge to make them seem personalized which intend to offer the writer encouragement in the face of rejection. They often feature compliments very like the ones in this letter.

In the end, all it means is "No, thank you."

Maryn, wishing her better success

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Assume form until proven otherwise. There are a lot of really complimentary phrases that are meant both to be kind to the writer (because contrary to popular belief, agents understand that sending one's book out is nerve-wracking and makes one vulnerable) but also to close off further correspondence which might result from specific feedback, such as, "Oh, well, if the space monkey was the problem, I can fix the space monkey! Don't worry! Let me send it to you with a fixed space monkey!"

In the end, form or no form, it didn't work for the agent, and until she gets really specific feedback or a revise and resubmit, she should just keep querying. I wish her luck!

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
That looks like standard rejection. Many MANY such rejection letters are discussed in the Rejection and Dejection threads. "It's not you; it's me." In the literary world as in life, it's a polite but non-negotiable brushoff. Asking for clarification won't help. Your friend should file it in her Rejection folder and keep querying (other agents, that is).

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Think of it this way. An agent reads a manuscript, one they like, maybe even love. Then they have to step out of the reader box and into the agent box to try and determine what they can do with the book professionally. If it's not a genre they rep - love it or not - they might not have the contacts to sell it as well as another agent who specializes in that genre.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Don't ask for clarification. I once had a personalized rejection from an agent who said essentially, "There's nothing wrong with this, but I'm not excited about it, which means I wouldn't be the right agent for it." Whether form or personalized, that's the way to take it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Siri--Don't ask for clarification, especially since the agent already stated that she couldn't figure out what had her on the fence about it. If she felt strongly enough about it, she wouldn't have said no.

Unfortunately, as many people say, this is a very subjective business, and it's getting tougher every day. Agents really need to LOVE the manuscript in order to commit their time and resources to selling it.

Here's a link I read recently in which literary agent Sara Megibow talks about interpreting rejection letters: http://romanceuniversity.org/2012/0...ls-romance-interpreting-the-rejection-letter/

Keep going! Good luck!

narmowen

Lost in the woods
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten many form rejections saying something like that. don't worry. It's normal!

Piltdown

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I think this is a good way to look at rejections:
When I go into a book store I may look at as many as thirty books
but I always go in looking to buy just one book. If I were stopped
outside the store and asked about all my decisions, I’m sure I could
come up with something but I don’t know how valuable the answer
would be. There was nothing “wrong” with War and Peace, or
The Voyage of the Beagle
, or Thus Spake Zarathustra, I just
happen to fall in love with a particular book that day:
Sex for Dummies 3rd Edition.
You could say I rejected every other
book in the store or you could say I chose what suited my needs best
on that day (and night).[/FONT]

RN Hill

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas -- the part with some decent driving roads.
It's making a little more sense as I read through everyone's posts -- and I guess if she didn't love it enough to take it on, she wouldn't love it enough to fight for it with editors, so it's probably a good thing. It's just that the vagueness was so frustrating. (It's not even my book, and I'm frustrated! Maybe I shouldn't be a beta reader.) :)

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Don't stress too much about the vagueness. All you need to know is that if it's not a "yes," it's a "no."

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to tell. In general, unless the editor is really clear, I assume it's a form reject. (Or may not be form if it states stuff specific to my story - but is still a "no".)

I have gotten some where the editor complains about a particular aspect of the story (have seen too much of this type, didn't think part of it made sense, whatever) and asks for further submissions. In which case I take it to mean, "Likes my writing, didn't like whatever was complained about". But those are fairly infrequent.