Worthwhile Credentials?

trumpetology

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm putting together a query for a memoir and debating whether my minimal publishing experience is worth mentioning. Here are the two things:

1. Hopefully, I'll have a contract with a university press for an academic book on music history.
2. I took second place in an essay contest on nerve.com based on events in the book.

I'm iffy about both of them, so any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Any chance you can wait to send your proposal until AFTER you find out whether you have a deal on the music history book?

As for the second prize, maybe you could make your main point that you have already published an essay on the topic, and add parenthetically that you were awarded second place.

trumpetology

Registered
Reaction score
Any chance you can wait to send your proposal until AFTER you find out whether you have a deal on the music history book?

As for the second prize, maybe you could make your main point that you have already published an essay on the topic, and add parenthetically that you were awarded second place.

Hi Miss Plum,

Sorry for the confusing post. #1 meant: "Should I include my music history book if I have a contract?" Without a contract, I wouldn't bother mentioning it. I'm just not sure if it's relevant, even if I have the contract. Any thoughts?

as for #2. Thanks! That's a more elegant way to explain it.

If anyone has thoughts on the value of nerve.com as a source, I'm all ears.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Worthwhile credentials:

Apollo astronaut
Hall-of-Fame baseball player
Former Mayor of New York City
Oscar-winning actor
Politician disgraced nationally by sex/money scandal
Medal of Honor recipient
Charlie Sheen

caw

trumpetology

Registered
Reaction score
The circumstances are slightly different from yours, but close enough for the answer to pretty much be the same:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249225

Take especial note of the reply from Janet Reid, big-time NY agent. :)

And good luck! I hope you are offered the contract!

Thanks for the link, Terie. I had read that thread and thought it was like mine, but I didn't know who J. Reid was. Makes that simple "yes" a whole lot more meaningful!

Thanks for the lead and the good wishes. :)

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Ah, okay. If you get a contract, then definitely yes. "My non-fiction book on Subject X, Title ABC, will be published by Academic Press Z in June 2014."