DecNoWriMo 2014!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got wine and goldfish crackers to help me!

Aw, see - you mentioned it and now I gotta have some. And I'm done with my writing for the day! :D

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
A new computer would be a HUGE distraction to me! good luck Chasing the horizon.
Heh, the main part I worry about is getting distracted by games once I have the computer all set up. It's a really powerful desktop rig and playing games on it will be very tempting. :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just got my official overall grades for last semester - 2 As and 1 B. :D I was expecting it to be the other way around - just goes to show what a good participation grade can do. :D

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
I completely forgot about nanowrimo until Thanksgiving. I think I'd like to give this month a shot to write the rest of my aimed word count for my current WIP, which would equate to 30k. So a little over a thousand a day. *fingers crossed*

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. :)

In more productive news, I had a really vivid dream right before waking, and it had such an awesome plot line that I jotted down some notes - I'm going to write it at some point, but it will have to get in line. But yeah - another novella-ish idea outlined (partially). :)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Super-hectic week - we had two cast members out with the flu and had to scramble to get replacements into the show, so the backstage atmosphere was not conducive to writing. I finished Tiny Beautiful Things and am about two-thirds through All the Light We Cannot See. I'm still enjoying it, but the story jumps back and forth in its chronology and I'm beginning to think that it might be about 100 pages too long. The imagery is lovely, though.

Finish first draft of WIP: 103,438 out of ?????
Read two books: 1.5 out of 2
Write one blog post: 0 out of 1

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Day off from the show and not a line written, but I didn't expect to have time, what with the Christmas shopping, baking and decorating (not to mention laundry and groceries).

However, I did want to point out The 2014-2015 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap, just in case any of you missed the announcement. Even if you only dabble in SF/Fantasy (or maybe you're a first-timer who wants to give the genre a whirl), you'd be welcome. I'm going to participate, mostly because it looks like something fun for the post-holiday doldrums.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the great grades and all the job applications, Cliff Face.

However, I did want to point out The 2014-2015 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap, just in case any of you missed the announcement. Even if you only dabble in SF/Fantasy (or maybe you're a first-timer who wants to give the genre a whirl), you'd be welcome. I'm going to participate, mostly because it looks like something fun for the post-holiday doldrums.
That looks like a fun idea, mrsmig. I'd participate if I had any faith in my ability to write short fiction. Unfortunately every attempt I've ever made at less than novel length writing has ended badly.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Chasing. :)

I'm really not expecting to land a job this close to Christmas, but I'll apply for them anyway. January sounds much more reasonable to me, when companies are coming back from their holidays and start going, "Oh, crap, we have a lot of work to do!" Then my resume will land in their inbox and the angels will sing (or something). :tongue

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I haven't really been keeping track, but I know I'm around 1000 words, which is just...terrible. Hoping to get some work done on my lunch break.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
The past few days I've been too depressed to write. My college football team did not get into the playoffs, despite doing very well this year, because of politics. It's heartbreaking.

As for writing, I've done a little last week, but didn't keep track exactly how much. Oh, well, the numbers are updated below anyway.

I've also been doing a lot of thinking on my WIPs and I realized that I need to give WIP #4 a major overhaul. I know what I need to do, but I'm not sure how to do it. So I've been pondering on how to accomplish this problem. The new number reflects the new slate. But I need to hurry on this too, as I'm running out of time on this too.

I have one week to finish WIP #2. I have an alpha who is supposed to get back to me tomorrow, so I'm eager to see what she says. Hopefully I won't need to give this an overhaul either, because I really don't have much time left, haha. She finished reading it in like a day though, so that sounds promising.

Last edited:

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
My manuscript from Nano has turned into quite a mess. I think I have to backtrack the last 10k words but, at this point, I just don't have the energy to rewrite it.

Going to try to skip ahead and write out the ending chapters. I'll fix this section during revision.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Figured out how to tackle this problem. Now I just need to figure out scenes to show it.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Still not a word written, between matinees and decorating and baking. But I did complete my reading goal - I finished All the Light We Cannot See, which was lovely but still, IMO, too long by about 100 pages.

Finish first draft of WIP: 103,438 out of ?????
Read two books: 2.5 out of 2 COMPLETED
Write one blog post: 0 out of 1

caracy

Expert on Absolutely Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
Goals are goals, MrsMig. All important to the well-rounded writer, and the month isn't 1/2 over yet. You have time.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've done a fair bit of gaming this month, but nothing for my actual goals. Perhaps I jumped the gun a bit, trying to get back into writing so soon after finishing Uni? I'm still going to try to get some of it done, but I'm letting myself not be in a rush right now.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Having a rough time. My doubts have flooded back and I am seriously contemplating (yet again) to give this up. I try to remind myself that people have enjoyed my stuff, but it's hard to ignore the doubts.

I am expecting a critique back today, so hopefully that will reignite that motivation, but right now I'm just feeling like I'm wasting my time.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
The past few days I've been too depressed to write. My college football team did not get into the playoffs, despite doing very well this year, because of politics. It's heartbreaking.

Very disappointing. Somehow this system was supposed to be better than the computer? :Shrug:

Read two books: 2.5 out of 2 COMPLETED

Look at you with a goal met before mid-month! :D Means you'll have plenty of time to work on the others.

Perhaps I jumped the gun a bit, trying to get back into writing so soon after finishing Uni? I'm still going to try to get some of it done, but I'm letting myself not be in a rush right now.

Brains are squishy things. Give it a break, but set a date you'll get back to writing! Congrats on your final grades! :partyguy:

I am expecting a critique back today, so hopefully that will reignite that motivation, but right now I'm just feeling like I'm wasting my time.

Of the many ways one can waste their time, writing a novel is pretty much the least waste-y. As I tell my family, at least it keeps me out of trouble ;) (until the NSA pulls up my google history...)

I'm beta-reading. That is all. I'm going to hopefully have one of the reads done by the end of the week (60 pages left) and I think the next one will move more quickly.

I have class tonight, and I did all my homework, so I'm feeling very virtuous. If someone had told me back in high school that I'd be a grown up excited to do my homework and spending extra money to go to class, I would not guess it was a foreign language class...

Last edited:

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Being creative is never a waste of time! I hope your critique will be just the spark you need to get back into it.

Having a rough time. My doubts have flooded back and I am seriously contemplating (yet again) to give this up. I try to remind myself that people have enjoyed my stuff, but it's hard to ignore the doubts.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you were present in the November non-NaNo thread in here, but I had a goal of watching 8 movies, and only watched 3. Well, I've watched 2 more now, so just 3 left to go! Slowly getting there on an old goal. :)

Otherwise, I've not really done much of anything the past 2 days.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I may have written all of 100 words in the past few days. Too many shows, too much holiday prep, too tired. And I have house guests arriving tonight. Oy.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. Balancing all the editing I have to do with writing is hard. It's being made worse by the fact I finished the books I was so easily knocking out word count on, and now I need to get in the mental space to speed-write something else.

Also, did I mention that editing is really time-consuming? I can write fast, but if there's a way to line-edit at faster than slug pace, I haven't been able to figure it out.