Horror, Crime Fiction, or Dark Contemporary? Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonwatch178

The Angels Have The Phone Box
Registered
Reaction score
The story is a YA cross between Dexter and Emma. My MC is a teenaged serial killer. The MS follows her putting people through a deadly matchmaking game in order to 'save true love'

Right now I have it listed as horror, but I'm still not sure that's the right place for it. Thoughts?

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking dark contemporary, but I could be wrong, wrong, wrong... :Shrug:Horror, anyway,
seems a little too farfetched for what you've described. Then again, I tend to avoid that
genre as much as possible, so yeah... I could be wrong, wrong, wrong. :tongue

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Label your book as horror only if you're specifically trying to disturb or scare the reader.

KokkieH

Making this up as I go along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
Horror usually (but not necessarily) has a supernatural element. Perhaps psychological horror would be a better fit? Or psychological thriller, if it's more about mind games than about terror.

Coconut

Registered
Reaction score
Also, it sounds like your MC isn't the one being subjected to the experiences...I'd call it more of a dark psychological drama

moonwatch178

The Angels Have The Phone Box
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Although I'm still a little unsure as to genre—and your comments have me leaning towards horror again—this is helpful in narrowing things down. I am aiming to disturb the reader (and there is definitely gore involved) but I think you're right in that it's more of a "dark psychological" scenario.

Coconut- You are right. My MC isn't the one these things are done to. She's subjecting people to dark twisted things for what she sees as a moral purpose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.