Is anything too much?

D Ridder

Registered
Reaction score
Have you read 'American Psycho'? That has some extremely graphic and very detailed torture/rape scenes. Somebody published that. They even made a movie, so...

Last edited:

apchelopech

Registered
Reaction score
Good call--Amazon and pretty much every paying publisher whose submission guidelines I recall doesn't want any urine or scat.

There are probably niche kink markets--but then you'd need to add a bunch more similar material and figure out what those markets are.

Maryn, who's written a little for, ah, "specialty" markets

And not just the publishers - quite a few readers aren't into that sh..., sorry I mean stuff. I would personally find such a scene a total turn-off. If I'd found myself liking the character who then did it, I would regret having reached that point. And I would certainly dump the work from that point.

But that's just me. With 'erotica', anyone can write to indulge their own penchant and can bypass conventional constraints by self-pubbing. Just don't expect a general market. Publishers at least to some extent are reflecting what their readerships will/won't buy into.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read 'American Psycho'? That has some extremely graphic and very detailed torture/rape scenes. Somebody published that. They even made a movie, so...

The difference is that American Psycho isn't erotica. You can get by with a lot of stuff in horror/thrillers/literary fiction that you can't get away with as easily in erotica because erotica is supposed to be, well, erotic.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
And it's not fair that there should be a double standard, is it?

What does everyone think of writing two versions of sex scenes? One for a market that wouldn't mind explicitness and one for one that would? I don't think it would be that difficult. Just have two files on your computer, and do the required cutting and pasting in those particular scenes. Just cut and run before the sex gets too detailed.