Looking for publishers for a first time erotica writer...

White

friendly white tiger
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tailsrefuge.com
...might be a tough call i know but I cant help feeling a little bamboozled by all the choices out there. I mean, I could be just barking at the wrong tree or chasing the wrong line, you know? So I guess I'm just looking for a little guidance.

thanks in advance,

White.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
That you are a first timer is not really relevant. Perhaps you could post a brief query letter-like description of the work and get some suggestions.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I think a lot of general advice for choosing publishers also applies to erotica publication.

I would start by looking at who has published some of the erotica that you like. That in itself isn't enough to show that the publisher is worth submitting to (there are some publishers who have put out stuff I really like, but whose business practices have recently changed for the worse), but it can be an indication that the publisher has experience and that they may be a good fit for your work.

The Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Checks forum has some threads on erotica and romance publishers. If you're interested in submitting to someone, I would check to see if the publisher has a thread about it on there.

I think the main things to ask yourself when looking into a publisher are: 1) Does this publisher seem like a good fit for the type of erotica I write? 2) Does this publisher have experience and a catalog of books? 3) Does the publisher have a decent reputation for being professional and doing right by its authors?

Like veinglory said, if you're looking for publishers that are good for specific subgenres/types of erotica, perhaps people could give you suggestions.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
The Erotica Readers and Writers Association has an extensive list of publishers, but you'll want to vet them first. As DancingMaenid said, the Bewares section here is a great place to do just that. ERWA is also my #1 go-to for anthology calls. It really depends on what kind of erotica you write, i.e. niche, pairing, types of kinks, length of story, etc.

Welcome to the fray! ;)

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Just want to commandeer this thread for a moment as I have the same question to ask. Specifically male pov erotic romance. I know there are some out there but my best efforts have only found self published pieces.

White

friendly white tiger
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tailsrefuge.com
That you are a first timer is not really relevant. Perhaps you could post a brief query letter-like description of the work and get some suggestions.

Well, I hope you are right. Its not always been my impression of the writing world. But this is one time I'd be happy to be wrong.

Hmm...yeah, that might work. Its worth a shot

White

friendly white tiger
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tailsrefuge.com
I think a lot of general advice for choosing publishers also applies to erotica publication.

I would start by looking at who has published some of the erotica that you like. That in itself isn't enough to show that the publisher is worth submitting to (there are some publishers who have put out stuff I really like, but whose business practices have recently changed for the worse), but it can be an indication that the publisher has experience and that they may be a good fit for your work.

The Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Checks forum has some threads on erotica and romance publishers. If you're interested in submitting to someone, I would check to see if the publisher has a thread about it on there.

I think the main things to ask yourself when looking into a publisher are: 1) Does this publisher seem like a good fit for the type of erotica I write? 2) Does this publisher have experience and a catalog of books? 3) Does the publisher have a decent reputation for being professional and doing right by its authors?

Like veinglory said, if you're looking for publishers that are good for specific subgenres/types of erotica, perhaps people could give you suggestions.

Hmmm..I had already considered that. It just seemed a bit of a hit and miss approach. But it was one idea I was toying with, so its nice to have that backed up. Thank you.

I'll be sure to check out the thread. Certainly sounds like a good place to start, to give me some ideas about who is out there.
Those are good questions too..questions I had loosely considered and toyed with, but nothing very serious.

You have given me something to think about. Thanks again.

White

friendly white tiger
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tailsrefuge.com
The Erotica Readers and Writers Association has an extensive list of publishers, but you'll want to vet them first. As DancingMaenid said, the Bewares section here is a great place to do just that. ERWA is also my #1 go-to for anthology calls. It really depends on what kind of erotica you write, i.e. niche, pairing, types of kinks, length of story, etc.

Welcome to the fray! ;)

heh..fray..yeah. vetting is very much on my mind..when I have a short list that is. I'm right now going for a first time lesbian short story since that is what I have been reading mostly. So I guess I would be looking for lesbian publishers. Don't know if that makes it easier or harder to break into.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well, I hope you are right. Its not always been my impression of the writing world. But this is one time I'd be happy to be wrong.

My impression has been that I submitted my first erotic work back in 2000 and it was accepted. I submitted my first nonfiction work a few years later and it was accepted. I had previously submitted over 20 general fiction pieces and every single one was rejected because I was sending those markets stories that simply did not fit their needs.

If a work fits a market, they will take it. Experience just makes people better at submitting the right work to the right market.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
heh..fray..yeah. vetting is very much on my mind..when I have a short list that is. I'm right now going for a first time lesbian short story since that is what I have been reading mostly. So I guess I would be looking for lesbian publishers. Don't know if that makes it easier or harder to break into.

For a short story I would suggest looking at the ERWA list of open anthologies.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score

I sold the very first short erotic story I wrote to the first anthology call I subbed it to for $200. It can be done. Like Veinglory said, check ERWA (the site I linked). They have a nice list of lesbian/LGBTQIA erotica pubs and calls.

In response to WriterDude, I just subbed a male POV story to The Erotic Woman (not sure if I can link b/c the photos are NSFW, but you can Google them) that was accepted (they pay, too). The only time I've ever found male POV to be a problem is if the call/topic is geared toward women and the story isn't female-focused enough (i.e. it's more about his pleasure than hers).

Good luck to you both! :)

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I sold the very first short erotic story I wrote to the first anthology call I subbed it to for $200. It can be done. Like Veinglory said, check ERWA (the site I linked). They have a nice list of lesbian/LGBTQIA erotica pubs and calls.

In response to WriterDude, I just subbed a male POV story to The Erotic Woman (not sure if I can link b/c the photos are NSFW, but you can Google them) that was accepted (they pay, too). The only time I've ever found male POV to be a problem is if the call/topic is geared toward women and the story isn't female-focused enough (i.e. it's more about his pleasure than hers).

Good luck to you both! :)

Thank you. That's good to know.