Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
http://www.ebooks-tree.com/

Check to see if your work is here.

They have a habit of scraping fan fiction and blog posts, and offering them for 'free' download with ads plastered on, thus getting ad revenue.

They will respond to DMCA notices, provided you are thorough about listing the works infringed.

TheaFair

Mousy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theafair.wordpress.com
I checked it yesterday. It was only the sample portion of of some of my Smashwords editions up. All but one of the download links led directly to my Smashwords page. The one link that didn't looked like it led to a download website, but Google informed me it was a phising front so I didn't bother looking further at that one. Also, they seem to have switched to a .net website today that doesn't have any of my works up.

Have they done this before? I vaguely remember something similar happening a year ago.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I was alerted to this yesterday by a friend and discovered that they had a few of my fanfics on there. They didn't steal the original short story I have on Smashwords and Amazon, though.

It looks like they got the message and took down the fanfic, though. I didn't even file any sort of complaint, but mine got taken down, which is nice. So I'm assuming they got enough flack for their practice of culling from ArchiveOfOurOwn that they decided to back away from that.

Hopefully they'll get the message in regards to the original fiction they've taken, too.

I didn't want to click on too many links, but the seem feels scammy to me. My friend clicked on some of the download links and found that they took her to different download sites. Also, it seems like they were trying to get people to sign up for a paid membership, which bothered me. I share my own writing for free all the time (especially fanfic, which I can't profit from anyway), so I don't really care on a personal level if someone distributes it to others. But dude, don't profit from it.

Thanks for giving people a heads up, Filigree.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine either, Bill. Shall we drown our sorrows?

Maryn, wondering if there's Irish whiskey to pour into her coffee