Simultaneous subs allowed, but...

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, all, quick question about simultaneous-sub etiquette.

I just finished a piece written more-or-less directly for Beneath Ceaseless Skies. When reviewing their guidelines, I was pleased to discover they accept simultaneous subs, as long as it's explained in the cover letter and communication is kept open.

I thought I'd submit to another market, then submit to BCS with all the caveats in place... then it occurred to me this might be a party foul if the other market doesn't also accept simultaneous subs.

If I understand correctly, the doomsday scenario would be: A) BCS reads and wants to offer, forcing me to B) put them off until the other market responds, and then C) the other market ALSO offers and I have to pick a favorite when the other market never knew it was subbed elsewhere.

That scenario seems far-fetched indeed, but I'd rather not step on any toes. Thoughts?

Peace
Ty

Last edited:

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
If you want to submit something to multiple markets, all those markets should accept simultaneous submissions. If the other market doesn't take simultaneous submissions and you submit to both them and BCS at once, you're breaking that market's submission guidelines even if you're not breaking those of BCS.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to submit something to multiple markets, all those markets should accept simultaneous submissions. If the other market doesn't take simultaneous submissions and you submit to both them and BCS at once, you're breaking that market's submission guidelines even if you're not breaking those of BCS.

This. Simultaneous submissions are okay only when all publishers you submit to accept simultaneous submissions.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also add that you got your doomsday scenario a bit wrong :)

If you submit to two markets (let's say you did so legitimately), as soon as you get an acceptance from one, you withdraw from the other. You don't wait for them to make a decision.

Also, BCS doesn't take super-long to decide. A month or two, generally. So just send it their way, and wait, because almost no other quality SFF markets accept simulsubs.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
because almost no other quality SFF markets accept simulsubs.

Well, Buzzy Mag accept sim subs, and have a wait time around the same (2 months). I'd make the most of them being open to simsubs and send to both. You won't be treading on any toes and you double your chances of an acceptance. Just wait to hear from both before moving on to another market if the next market doesn't accept simsubs.

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Buzzy Mag accept sim subs, and have a wait time around the same (2 months). I'd make the most of them being open to simsubs and send to both. You won't be treading on any toes and you double your chances of an acceptance. Just wait to hear from both before moving on to another market if the next market doesn't accept simsubs.

Buzzy Mag accepts sim subs? I didn't see that on their guidelines. (I did see that their pay rates are at 10 cents a word now, though.)

Ty, I'd also echo everything said above.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
I'd also add that you got your doomsday scenario a bit wrong :)

If you submit to two markets (let's say you did so legitimately), as soon as you get an acceptance from one, you withdraw from the other. You don't wait for them to make a decision.

Ah, okay. My original scenario involved submitting to another market that doesn't accept simulsubs and just not telling them it was also at BCS, which as everyone has said is a no-go.

So you answered my next question, which would have been how to appropriately respond to an offer on a piece (appropriately!) on sub at two different markets.

Also, BCS doesn't take super-long to decide. A month or two, generally. So just send it their way, and wait, because almost no other quality SFF markets accept simulsubs.

Got it.

Peace
Ty

Last edited:

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score

Oh whoa, didn't realize that.

Buzzy Mag accepts sim subs? I didn't see that on their guidelines. (I did see that their pay rates are at 10 cents a word now, though.)

Yeah, I don't see it either, though two commenters on their submissions post asked about it and were referred to Buzzy's FB page... which, again, no info. Deadlight, how'd you find out about Buzzy accepting simsubs?

Peace
Ty

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score

No, looks like it's not there any more, although it definitely was once. Although it doesn't say not to sim sub either. Anyone know more? There's queries about it in the comments below but no resolution. I've had sim subs there and had to withdraw them and they have always responded that it was fine. DT lists it as accepting sim subs too.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
No, looks like it's not there any more, although it definitely was once. Although it doesn't say not to sim sub either. Anyone know more? There's queries about it in the comments below but no resolution. I've had sim subs there and had to withdraw them and they have always responded that it was fine. DT lists it as accepting sim subs too.

Interesting. Good info; thanks again!

Peace
Ty

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, okay. My original scenario involved submitting to another market that doesn't accept simulsubs and just not telling them it was also at BCS, which as everyone has said is a no-go.

Think of it as being in a relationship. You can't be in an open relationship and an exclusive at the same time... at least, you shouldn't be. ;)

Submission Grinder says no