Racist Fired After Protesting Mexican Flag to Homeowner

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
"Xenophobic" is probably a better word than "racist" to describe this situation. Which is not an improvement. Still, which Presidential candidate did this woman vote for in the past two elections? Wanna bet?

caw

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The claim of racist is (also) complicated by the word having two meanings, one of believing that one race is superior to another, the other of racial prejudice. Maybe some see this as a meaningless distinction, but I'd like to know which one someone means when they use the word.

I absolutely see it as a meaningless distinction, and would be interested in hearing from you how you differentiate these statements. Actually, a disturbing number of racists express the view that races should be physically separated, but claim NOT to believe in "racial superiority".

Which, I will opine, is thrice-distilled bullshit.

caw

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely see it as a meaningless distinction, and would be interested in hearing from you how you differentiate these statements. Actually, a disturbing number of racists express the view that races should be physically separated, but claim NOT to believe in "racial superiority".

Which, I will opine, is thrice-distilled bullshit.

caw

Not so sure about that. I think it's very possible not to believe any race is 'superior' but still not think they should mix. This is predicated on statements I've seen by people that blacks can't be racists because of the power thing, so perhaps that premise is flawed, but there was quite a to-do a couple years ago where I worked, when a new hire - a black woman - made no bones about this separation 'requirement'. It caused a lot of headaches because we had several 'mixed' couples and bi-racial employees, and she was quite vehement in her views. She never made statements implying that any race was superior - only that they shouldn't mix. And I've known a few white folks who were the same way - no thought at all about one race being superior. They just didn't think they should mix.

Mind, I don't understand their reasoning at all, never have, but...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
She never made statements implying that any race was superior - only that they shouldn't mix. And I've known a few white folks who were the same way - no thought at all about one race being superior. They just didn't think they should mix.

That logic breaks down quick once your start discussing people with mixed blood. Instead of racial superiority, you start talking racial purity and blood quantum, which is basically the same shit.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
That logic breaks down quick once your start discussing people with mixed blood. Instead of racial superiority, you start talking racial purity and blood quantum, which is basically the same shit.

Quoted for truth.

And when you think of it, don't you actually have to feel that at least someone of mixed blood is below someone who isn't to be able to hold the belief that the races shouldn't mix? Because let's be real, racial mixing isn't a new thing that came about a couple hundred years ago. It has been going on since each group had developed enough features to be classified as separate racial/ethnic groups. Race is not a straight lines, but a squiggly one. Even humanity isn't a straight line either. Mixing may be more common now than in the past, but it isn't new.

Also, I amend my earlier statement to agree with blacbird. The woman is most certainly xenophobic at the very least. Many xenophobes are also racists but that isn't always the case, on the other hand just like with all racists being bigots all racists are also xenophobes.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with xenophobic, and for someone like this lady who is so rabid about it I think she's probably 'racist'. Latino isn't a race, so I have to put that in quotes, lol.

But it's hard to say what would happen here if the vast majority of folks crossing our borders illegally were all white. In Costa Rica when I lived there, there was controversy about Nicaraguan immigrants. They were the same races, but the illegal immigration was still a really big deal with many locals. So sometimes it is xenophobia and not racism, yeah.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
But it's hard to say what would happen here if the vast majority of folks crossing our borders illegally were all white. In Costa Rica when I lived there, there was controversy about Nicaraguan immigrants. They were the same races, but the illegal immigration was still a really big deal with many locals. So sometimes it is xenophobia and not racism, yeah.

Heh, my mother can sometimes come off as racist. At first she was really happy to have more brown people in the neighborhood. But since she's brown, too, they keep trying to talk to her in Spanish and telling her to learn Spanish, when she's already annoyed that she had to learn English.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, my mother can sometimes come off as racist. At first she was really happy to have more brown people in the neighborhood. But since she's brown, too, they keep trying to talk to her in Spanish and telling her to learn Spanish, when she's already annoyed that she had to learn English.

She should tell them to learn Zuni, then! :)

My mother (mixed-blood) had an unfortunate view of mixing of the races involving curses. I blame that on the Pentecostal movement that swept my grandfather's area back in the day. I'm sure it seemed like the mixedbloods were cursed (even to themselves), but that was societal due to the racism around at the time. There were 3 segregated school systems throughout most of the 20th century in my grandfather's area of NC. Things were better that way before the southeast got all weird about classifying race in strict boxes.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I understand pride of origin, but there is also such a thing as flag etiquette, and unless she was also flying a larger US flag above the Mexican flag, then I could see neighbours getting a little testy about another countries flag being flown - I don't think it's illegal to do so however.

But, if the real estate lady was insulted, then a simple conversation with her neighbour could have alleviated the issue. She chose not to go that route she'd rather bully and shame this lady and attempt to stir up hate against her. Racist or not it's simply despicable behaviour.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Semantic quibbling. In the sociopolitical real-world somebody who claims to support racial segregation but begs off from being called a "racial supremacist" can be called something else:

Hypocrite.

caw

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
She was, IMO, being a bit of a bigot, whether it was racism or nationalism that motivated her.

Hm. Nationalism. Maybe if we start calling out people on the nationalist bullshit we can turn "nationalist" into something people don't want to be called and the word will become re-associated with the Nationalist {other word people think is bad and misuse} Party....

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I understand pride of origin, but there is also such a thing as flag etiquette, and unless she was also flying a larger US flag above the Mexican flag, then I could see neighbours getting a little testy about another countries flag being flown - I don't think it's illegal to do so however.
What if the home owner's not actually American though?

On boats that sail internationally, you fly your own country of origin flag (typically 1" of flag per foot of boat) and when you enter the waters of another country you maintain your flag, but fly a smaller (I think 1/4 the size of your own flag?) flag of the country you are visiting below your own.

I doubt the woman in the article would have responeded any better though if she'd seen a tiny US flag below a full sized Mexican one.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jenn, according to my husband and son who sail internationally, sailing flag protocol is a bit convoluted depending on the type/size of vessel, whether or not it belongs to a club or sailing organization, the nationality of the crew and if you have a dignitary from another country on board. Often the national flag of the boat is place on the stern, and a courtesy flag (of the country you are sailing in) is flown starboard.

If you are on land and wanting to fly the flag of another country, then etiquette commands that it not be larger, and flown below the flag of your host country - and preferably on another another flag pole.

As I say this is etiquette, not law.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Unfortunately, etiquette is as dead as irony.

People fly all kinds of flags, on houses, cars (rear-view mirrors or antennas), and bicycles/motorcycles.

I don't think I've seen more then one or two cases where someone followed the proper etiquette. And if you're hanging a flag by your front door from a three foot pole in the wall, there's no room for more than one flag, anyway (currently, I'm flying a Gadsen flag from mine).

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
Well if we're going to be that picky, I'm pretty sure flag etiquette doesn't allow you to wear the stars and stripes as a shawl, or printed on a towel you can sit on, and I've seen those around aplenty come 4th of July.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, etiquette is as dead as irony.

People fly all kinds of flags, on houses, cars (rear-view mirrors or antennas), and bicycles/motorcycles.

I don't think I've seen more then one or two cases where someone followed the proper etiquette. And if you're hanging a flag by your front door from a three foot pole in the wall, there's no room for more than one flag, anyway (currently, I'm flying a Gadsen flag from mine).
Great minds and all that... I was just gonna ask what this woman would say about the Gadsen flag I fly. :D

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be by in the afternoon to yell at you and tell you to go the f*ck back to Giha.

So there.

But I'm from Littner.

team-gurren-flag-yoko.jpg

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Great minds and all that... I was just gonna ask what this woman would say about the Gadsen flag I fly. :D

We bought Gadsden, fair and square, the marketplace for political territory at its finest. Similarly, the Louisiana Purchase and Alaska.

Now, if you want to quibble, look at the vast territory acquired by warfare under President James K. Polk, who added more land to the United States of America than anybody, including Tom Jefferson.

caw