Police Militarization Is a Problem the Left and Right Can Agree About — and Solve

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
FedGov gave away over $4 billion in gear, and all my county got was 54 assault rifles and a measly mine-resistant vehicle. How'd you score??

You can find out from this nifty interactive map, courtesy of the New York Times.

I'm trying to locate the story, because one of the local stations reported on this a couple of days after the Michael Brown shooting. A rural suburb in the Chicago area got nine helicopters. I think their air fleet is as big as their entire police department now.

I'll report back when I find that story.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
To the contrary, I think it's vital that we understand why this particular event tripped the trigger. We need an engaged citizenry, and if we can learn how to encourage that engagement, we'll all be better off in the long run.

Like you said, the fuse needed to be lit a long time ago. I'd like to know how.

Just to be clear, you're asking how to incite rioting? How to incite peaceful protesting? How to get the national guard called out in your neighborhood?

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
FedGov gave away over $4 billion in gear, and all my county got was 54 assault rifles and a measly mine-resistant vehicle. How'd you score??

You can find out from this nifty interactive map, courtesy of the New York Times.

Awww. My county only scored 11 assault rifles and 10 pistols.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Just to be clear, you're asking how to incite rioting? How to incite peaceful protesting? How to get the national guard called out in your neighborhood?
I'd certainly prefer the second. What I'd really like to incite is citizen involvement in their communities, rather than sitting back and hoping the elected officials will be the wise and benevolent leaders that mean it's not necessary to pay attention to how one's society is developing. I'd like to incite people to actually be involved in community activities other than voting whenever given a chance. I'd like to incite people to quit sitting in front of their TVs assuming some mythical elected "George" will do it, and then grumbling when the evening news reports their community is going to hell in a handbasket, the corporations have bought the government, and civil liberties have been eroded beyond all reasonableness.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd certainly prefer the second. What I'd really like to incite is citizen involvement in their communities, rather than sitting back and hoping the elected officials will be the wise and benevolent leaders that mean it's not necessary to pay attention to how one's society is developing.

Those elected city leaders? They are the ones that did exactly what you're suggesting. They are the ones that stepped up and got involved.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
My county got 2 armored vehicles, which sounds quite reasonable. We have some scary guns randomly in this whole county. And some scary people, frankly (of various colors and religions and ideologies, thankyouverymuch ;) ). The ones going to fight for ISIS are the ones I'm particularly freaked out by, but the meth labs are probably more personally dangerous. Hard call.

To the contrary, I think it's vital that we understand why this particular event tripped the trigger. We need an engaged citizenry, and if we can learn how to encourage that engagement, we'll all be better off in the long run.

Like you said, the fuse needed to be lit a long time ago. I'd like to know how.

On my TL in Twitter, which has a ton of selection bias as you might imagine, it seems that the string of horrible incidents with innocent Black folks as victims has caused more and more scrutiny of incidents like that on "Black Twitter" (which I'm 'on'). Then you have the libertarians, including journalists who write with a libertarian bent. Many of those are international.

Then you have the international left or more radical left, who are really big on the US being over-militarized for ages now. That also is an international theme, as you might imagine. All of them are all over this case.

A state declaring Emergency Powers over riots/looting is a big deal itself, though. I feel like if it hadn't already been a big story then, the curfew would have turned it into one.

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I'd certainly prefer the second. What I'd really like to incite is citizen involvement in their communities, rather than sitting back and hoping the elected officials will be the wise and benevolent leaders that mean it's not necessary to pay attention to how one's society is developing. I'd like to incite people to actually be involved in community activities other than voting whenever given a chance. I'd like to incite people to quit sitting in front of their TVs assuming some mythical elected "George" will do it, and then grumbling when the evening news reports their community is going to hell in a handbasket, the corporations have bought the government, and civil liberties have been eroded beyond all reasonableness.

What he said.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
yeah. lest ol' earl from junkyard dog salvage is careening down the road in a tank...

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score

Ha! Well it's good to see that if they want to get involved in military tactics they get to have a taste of military bureaucracy, too :D

Actually, I'm not surprised at the difficulty in getting rid of or transferring this kind of equipment. What did they expect? These aren't like a box of handcuffs.

My dad has a great story about an auction of storage cases for missiles (he ran a nuclear weapons depot), where ranchers often bought the cases for water or feeding troughs for their animals. One time a missile was still in one (before Dad's time, so early in the nuclear age when folks were more careless, ironically). No warhead, obviously! The rancher just called up the military and asked if they wanted their missile back, very matter of fact!