Rejectomancy

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
It's still effectively a rejection so personally, I wouldn't mention it. But you definitely get to brag in writerly circles. Well done!
Thank you. :) And yeah, that's what I was thinking. I just thought I read somewhere that if you got to a certain level below winning you could (or should) still mention it as an accomplishment. I couldn't cite a source so I'll take it as rumor.

Condolences for the DSF.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Finally got my response from WotF. 154-day rejection, but I was chosen as a semi-finalist and get a free critique from David Farland. So that's kind of like a mixed rejection. Do I get to brag about this somehow in my cover letters, or only in the cover letters that accompany the story that made it to the semi-finals? Or do only finalists get to brag?

I'm with Sylvia. I don't think it would help you to mention it in cover letters, but if your story made that far I doubt it needs to be mentioned anyway. Your story is obviously good and will sell regardless of what you put in the cover letter. Congratulations!

16-day form reject from DSF with a PS note saying they rarely take anything over 5k. I guessed as much but it was worth a shot. This story (fantasy, just over 9k) is a tough sell.

Hey, I've sent them stories over 5k and didn't get a PS, so I'd assume they must have liked your story and just couldn't afford it. Good luck with wherever you send it next :).

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Finally got my response from WotF. 154-day rejection, but I was chosen as a semi-finalist and get a free critique from David Farland. So that's kind of like a mixed rejection. Do I get to brag about this somehow in my cover letters, or only in the cover letters that accompany the story that made it to the semi-finals? Or do only finalists get to brag?

I respectfully disagree with the others. Semi-finalist in WotF is huge. Congratulations on making it so far! - the best I've ever managed are HM's. Above HM is a category for silver HM which often seems to get only 2 or 3 folks. Above that are usually about 6 or 8 SF's which is just one step below the 8 or so finalists out of an estimated 1200-1700 entries per quarter.
SHOULD you brag in cover letters? Don't know what most people already pro published (you!) would do, but I certainly know others HAVE and I would probably go ahead and mention it when subbing that particular story. (I think it's akin to reaching SF in the ABNA novel competition and those folks definitely mention that when querying agents.)
Head over to the WotF forums and announce your placement and see what a big deal it is! Congrats again. Many SF stories have sold to pro markets, so best of luck with it.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the R's people.

Marzioli, congratulations! and I agree with Eliza. I think it would be a good thing to mention you are a WOTF semi-finalist in cover letters, along with previous publishing credits. I think its an awesome achievement, especially given the nature of the judging panel and that some of those who win that competition go on to become well-known authors.

I'm not sure if I'd mention that the particular story was the semi-finalist or not. Maybe if you know that market likes your work already, it might find that interesting. Maybe other semi-finalists might comment on in that in the WoTF forums.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the R's people.

Marzioli, congratulations! and I agree with Eliza. I think it would be a good thing to mention you are a WOTF semi-finalist in cover letters, along with previous publishing credits. I think its an awesome achievement, especially given the nature of the judging panel and that some of those who win that competition go on to become well-known authors.

I'm not sure if I'd mention that the particular story was the semi-finalist or not. Maybe if you know that market likes your work already, it might find that interesting. Maybe other semi-finalists might comment on in that in the WoTF forums.

I agree with this. Mention the accolade but not which specific story got you there.

It's interesting how the cover letter evolves as your career advances. Soon enough this might slide off your cover letter in favor of even bigger achievements!

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, everyone!

And, Alex, I hope it slides off sooner rather than later! :D

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, everyone!

And, Alex, I hope it slides off sooner rather than later! :D

The ultimate cover letter achievement would be not having to provide one:

"Hi. I'm Stephen King. Would you like to buy my story?"

Except, insert your name above. :)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
20 days to "an almost for us" from DSF, for a longer story.

Argh - that "almost" thing is so bittersweet. If it did well there, I'm sure it'll do well at markets more open to longer stories.

kalevin

Dark and twisty, like licorice.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kalevingston.com
15 days to a second round bump at DSF, and a form R four hours later. I'm beginning to think something is hinky with the story-- it's gotten second round bumps everywhere I've sent it, a handful of personal R's, an R from GvG...but no one seems to want it. Feeling a bit humbuggy.

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
I now disagree with myself. I still wouldn't mention it for the story ("Someone else didn't like this enough to buy it but maybe you will") but I do like the idea of mentioning it as a part of your bio.

5-day form reject from Clarkesworld. I think that's me done for the rest of the year.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Blergh. Form rejection from Analog. After a lot of days. (140 something, I think?) Included the dreaded list of "Here's the things that might screw your chances".

Egh. Time to find another market.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Blergh. Form rejection from @n@log. After a lot of days. (140 something, I think?)
Wow, they're alive?!? I would have had one out at about 127 days, had I not withdrawn it last month (although it's still listed as "received"). They're really jerking around the slush these days.

And sorry about the R. :(

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, they're alive?!? I would have had one out at about 127 days, had I not withdrawn it last month (although it's still listed as "received"). They're really jerking around the slush these days.

And sorry about the R. :(

I don't think it's jerking around. I think it's "We just changed editors."

I'm just a little bummed to get a "Hey, dummy. This is why your story might suck" rejection. I got a personal R on the same story from Asimovs and it had been accepted by GUD (until I finally withdrew it) so I'm confident it's a solid story. A good story, even. I'm just not sure where to find it a home.

Aggy, will try Strange Horizons once they open up in January

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's jerking around. I think it's "We just changed editors."
Personally, I think a professional market of @na@log's caliber should have the etiquette to post a brief blog or news update (if nothing else), stating "We apologize for the hold up." We're all pretty sure the transition has caused kinks in their submission process. But it'd be a nice thing to do, and a token of respect, for the many authors they've held onto without explanation or forewarning.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think a professional market of @na@log's caliber should have the etiquette to post a brief blog or news update (if nothing else), stating "We apologize for the hold up." We're all pretty sure the transition has caused kinks in their submission process. But it'd be a nice thing to do, and a token of respect, for the many authors they've held onto without explanation or forewarning.

Perhaps you have a point. But the thing is, I heard about the editor switch right about the point I hit the 90 day/okay to query mark. Waiting another two months (or 2/3s of the normal max waiting time) isn't really a big deal. The only reason I tend to get antsy is I've had the misfortune to have two different markets "misplace" my submission AFTER they'd received it. But that's a rarity.

Unprofessional behavior is more along the lines of GUD - no updates on the site for MONTHS, no responses to submissions or queries. They just go dead. Analog never stopped responding (though there was that lull starting in November) they've just been slow.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I believe they did that. They made an announcement about changing editors and, at one point, I think they wrote something about a temporary slow-down with the slush.

Speaking of which: I got my 152 day form R from them today.

I don;t have a problem with the extra-long response time due to the circumstances, and will continue submitting there as long as I see that they're steadily catching up.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I believe they did that. They made an announcement about changing editors and, at one point, I think they wrote something about a temporary slow-down with the slush.
I never saw it, though I admit I've only gone to their front page infrequently over the last few months. If so, good for them, but they certainly didn't make it obvious.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score

Speaking of which: I got my 152 day form R from them today.

I don;t have a problem with the extra-long response time due to the circumstances, and will continue submitting there as long as I see that they're steadily catching up.

Yep, they sent me a "sorry for the delay. we appreciate your patience" email from them, so I appreciated that. Mine's there for about 120 right now.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
25-day R from GVG at Fantasy & Science Fiction. And instead of the standard three responses they give, I got a "didn't connect."

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, they sent me a "sorry for the delay. we appreciate your patience" email from them, so I appreciated that. Mine's there for about 120 right now.
Oh, that's awesome! You guys have swayed me. I was just going off of my own experience recently, which hasn't been so good. But, i suppose, that's bound to happen from time to time.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
25-day R from GVG at Fantasy & Science Fiction. And instead of the standard three responses they give, I got a "didn't connect."

That's great! Also, it means your story made it past the assistant editor and onto GVGs desk.

Oh, that's awesome! You guys have swayed me. I was just going off of my own experience recently, which hasn't been so good. But, i suppose, that's bound to happen from time to time.

This is one of the reasons this thread is useful :)