Police Militarization Is a Problem the Left and Right Can Agree About — and Solve

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
The second factor, which I don't think I've seen mentioned here, is the increased terrorist funding police forces receive from the DHS. DHS is shelling out tons of funding to police departments. Anyone vaguely familiar with government budgets knows it is considered a sin to have a budget surplus at the end of the year, as this usually results in a budget cut the following year. So police departments have been buying all forms of body armor, weaponry, etc. After enough years, they have an arsenal of this stuff and can't justify further spending on it so they have find other things to spend in on. In roll the urban vehicles, etc....

They could use the money for logistics for bringing in relief during Homeland Security issues. Like with 9/11, having more cadaver or search dogs, more physical rescue equipment/teams during Katrina, etc. They don't need to only focus on the bang bang pew pew parts, the eejits.

Aside from the issue of physical armaments, another matter of concern is the militarization of the mindset of police now equipped with such weapons. Very few police forces undergo the training the military forces do in use and discipline of use of such weapons. In short, there are a lot of undertrained, underdisciplined cowboy cops out there that I'd rather not see driving around an APC brandishing a .50 cal. machine gun.

caw

Totally agree.

That struck me as a really telling point. I'll bet for a lot of people it's quite ok - even comforting - to see this kind of protection on the street. It's protecting their interests after all. But I'll bet there is an entirely different view from a less privileged segment of society.

Absolutely, there will be a variety of prisms we're each looking through, and I respect that completely. My dad had nothing to do with infantry or 'boots-on-the-ground' military roles, but security for what he did was as high as it gets. All of those guys (some still family friends) keep firearms, etc. But there isn't anything cowboy about it.

It's like blacbird said - the mindset, training, and discipline of most military careers vs anyone who thinks weaponry is 'cool' or 'macho'. IMHO :) My dad's a tough, tough old dude but he's not macho at all. He got into the military by being a nerd, frankly. One of those uber-disciplined (incl. ROTC), sciencey ones ;)

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Those morel hunters are vicious. It's a jungle out there.

Well I have met more than a couple that were dangerous and I now pack when I'm morel hunting alone or with my best friend who is also packing and a female. Typically it's been the men I've run into problems with when morel hunting thinking that us females being the weaker sex and all are easy targets for stealing morels from, apparently morels fetch a high market value but I wouldn't know as I keep mine for dehydrating to put into soups, casseroles, and such. One such creepy male is actually a professor at the local university, if you don't hand over your morels to him he proceeds to strip naked and then chase you through the woods until you hand them over.

Ok back to demilitarizing our local police departments, I didn't even know they had been militarized.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
The North Hollywood Shootout is an anomaly and shouldn't be used as any sort of justification to increase the weaponry of the police force. Even as severely outgunned as the police were in that situation, they handled the job just fine.
Yes, the police did an excellent job under trying circumstances. But they really shouldn't have had to resort to this:
Armed only with their shotguns and 9 mm handguns, the officers went to a nearby gun shop, where employees broke out shotguns and rifles and more powerful ammunition.Officers faced what Williams said were armor-piercing, automatic rifles that could slice through a police-issue bulletproof vest 200 yards away.

patskywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.durhamskywriter.com
Here in Durham NC, there have recently been some situations where local citizens have been shot by local police. The police chief always says that his officers were "following police department procedures." This statement serves as a conversation-ender—reporters can't seem to come up with anything when he says this. I called for the police procedures and policies to be made available online as they are in several USA cities. (I did this in my online newspaper's cover story this month—way before the Michael Brown case.)

If the citizens have no clue what procedures their local police are supposed to be following, how can they hold them accountable? I'm hoping that more people will call for their police departments to upload their policies and procedures. At the very least, we'll be able to become familiar with the rules they're supposed to be adhering to, not to mention our rights as citizens.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Here in Durham NC, there have recently been some situations where local citizens have been shot by local police. The police chief always says that his officers were "following police department procedures." This statement serves as a conversation-ender—reporters can't seem to come up with anything when he says this. I called for the police procedures and policies to be made available online as they are in several USA cities. (I did this in my online newspaper's cover story this month—way before the Michael Brown case.)

If the citizens have no clue what procedures their local police are supposed to be following, how can they hold them accountable? I'm hoping that more people will call for their police departments to upload their policies and procedures. At the very least, we'll be able to become familiar with the rules they're supposed to be adhering to, not to mention our rights as citizens.

Does the SBI investigate? It's standard procedure in many cities here (I'm in the Piedmont, and the Keith Vidal case in Brunswick county is doing that, too, I know), but maybe it's not required statewide? Our city police investigates, too, but meh ;) I'm glad it is procedure to have the SBI, every time, in my city.

I don't know the SBI standards for a 'good shooting', but they definitely have cops arrested and indicted.

patskywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.durhamskywriter.com
I'm not sure if the SBI investigates each and every case—but I think they do. The problem is that the Durham Police Department tends to drag its feet when it comes to "letting us know" the outcome of such investigations. The press appears to be afraid to step on toes, so when the police chief says that everything is fine (nothing to see here, LOL), the media nods and wanders off to the next story.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
patskywriter, ah, yes, we get that, too. If the officer is cleared they don't announce that far and wide. And when the SBI is investigating, there is zero info. We had a shooting in March or so (white bicycle cop, Black man, AAMOF) that I try to follow, but there are just no articles while the investigations are going on.The rumor mill has me calm about that case, but still, it's very hard to wait so long for info!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Well I have met more than a couple that were dangerous and I now pack when I'm morel hunting alone or with my best friend who is also packing and a female. Typically it's been the men I've run into problems with when morel hunting thinking that us females being the weaker sex and all are easy targets for stealing morels from, apparently morels fetch a high market value but I wouldn't know as I keep mine for dehydrating to put into soups, casseroles, and such. One such creepy male is actually a professor at the local university, if you don't hand over your morels to him he proceeds to strip naked and then chase you through the woods until you hand them over.

Ok back to demilitarizing our local police departments, I didn't even know they had been militarized.

I was only partly joking about morel hunters. I lived in morel country once and it was shocking how people acted about them.

I think that police departments have been historically starved of funds and the support they need, especially as the economy has tanked, and that this influx of military-grade leftovers has been a half-baked fake solution, a distracting subsitution of violent toys and vigilante atmosphere instead of the real funding and support they actually need.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

Right. Sergeants, lieutenants, captains, all wearing military-rank insignia on their uniforms, chain-of-command mindset, and NOW with access to really ferocious military surplus weaponry and equipment. Actually, I'm not totally opposed to the latter, by any means. But I'd sure like to feel that such stuff is being used by people having the training and discipline and skills to use it properly, and . . . I just don't, knowing what I know about police forces in the U.S.

caw

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
This article from The Guardian has a lot to say on this topic.

In Ferguson the violence of the state created the violence of the street
For some then the police have come too late to the notion that they are there to “protect” lives. “The law,” wrote James Baldwin, “is meant to be my servant and not my master, still less my torturer and my murderer.” Those who call for law and order now must understand that there is no order because men with badges have been acting lawlessly.

As I wrote after the riots in London three years ago: “Insisting on the criminality of those involved, as though that alone explains their motivations and the context is irrelevant, is fatuous. To stress criminality does not deny the political nature of what took place, it simply chooses to only partially describe it. They were looting, not shoplifting, and challenging the police for control of the streets, not stealing [policemen’s] hubcaps. When a group of people join forces to flout both law and social convention, they are acting politically.”
People ask: what could violent protest possibly achieve? It is a good question. But it only has any validity if they also question the nature of the “peace” preceding it. Those who call for calm must question how calm anyone can be in the knowledge that their son, brother or lover could be shot in such a way.
Resistance to occupation is often romanticised but never pretty. And Ferguson – a mostly black town under curfew in which the entire political power structure is white, with a militarised police force that killed a black child – was under occupation.
Nobody in their right mind wants more violent protests. But nobody wants more Michael Browns either. And those two things – the violence of the state and the violence of the street – are connected. “A riot,” said Martin Luther King, “is the language of the unheard.” The people on the streets don’t donate thousands of dollars to anyone’s campaign. They don’t get a seat at any table where decisions are made or have the ear of the powerful. But with four black men killed by the police in the country in the last four weeks, they have a lot to say, and precious few avenues through which to say it. The question now is who’s listening.

POPASMOKE

Keep your turns up
Registered
Reaction score
I think that police departments have been historically starved of funds and the support they need, especially as the economy has tanked, and that this influx of military-grade leftovers has been a half-baked fake solution, a distracting subsitution of violent toys and vigilante atmosphere instead of the real funding and support they actually need.

The DoD 1033 Program was implemented back in the late 90s, and for many agencies, it permitted the acquisition of equipment they couldn't fund themselves.

My agency acquired Kevlar helmets through this program. While it will provide armored vehicles and some small arms, it also provides such things as pick-up trucks, atvs, office furniture, generators, cold weather clothing, boots, some aircraft, etc.

As with any such program, it's not the equipment, it's the mind set and intent behind its acquisition. If it's integral to officer safety, I'm all for it.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
How much would it have cost to rebrand the body armor, I wonder? Lose the OD Green and the Camo and add reflectors and PD paint?

We're safer, we're protected, but we're still part of the community, rather than dragging in the imagery of an occupying force.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
How much would it have cost to rebrand the body armor, I wonder? Lose the OD Green and the Camo and add reflectors and PD paint?

We're safer, we're protected, but we're still part of the community, rather than dragging in the imagery of an occupying force.
Add the logo of the local high school football team...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps also along this line: I seem to recall that the War On Drugs, which has existed much longer than this military transfer program, also supplies Federal funds for local and state police department, perhaps in some proportion to their drug arrests, making it more "profitable" to make more such arrests. Also, property seized in such arrests often becomes the property of the police department that seized it, making for motivations other than just finding and arresting criminals.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Over at Slate, Dave Weigel points out the obvious.

Don’t Bring a Tank to Pumpkin Fest
Liberals are up in arms about police militarization. Libertarians are saying: What took you so long?
It’s hard to date when the backlash began, or when it became mainstream, but 1989 is a good time to start. That was a hot year for the crack wars, not long before Washington Mayor Marion Barry was arrested with a pipe in the room, and the year Congress’ National Defense Authorization Act added Section 1208. The new NDAA language authorized the transfer of excess military equipment “suitable for use” in “counter-drug activities.”

In 1989, that meant almost anything. The first time many Americans realized that was in August 1992, when the ATF, FBI, Border Patrol, U.S. Marshals, Idaho National Guard, Idaho state police, and local police laid siege to Randy Weaver’s home in Ruby Ridge, Idaho, with assault weapons and night-vision goggles. The siege started with the deaths of Weaver’s son and one of the dogs, and the Weaver family would eventually settle for more than $3 million. But less than a year later, some of the same agencies (and some of the same agents, as Radley Balko points out in Rise of the Warrior Cop) raided David Koresh’s compound outside Waco, Texas, smashing the walls with tanks and shooting 350 rounds of tear gas inside.

Seventy-six people died. But Bill Clinton was in the White House.
I've oft said that had a Republican been in the White House, there might have been some civic reaction to Ruby Ridge and Waco. Ferguson is the ugly great-great-grandchild of Ruby Ridge and Waco.

I think we've seen the same thing dynamic out over the last several years, right up until Ferguson. Ferguson flipped a switch in some people's minds that remained untouched through countless Kathryn Johnstons and Sean Bells.

Can anyone explain why this particular incident lit the fuse?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I've oft said that had a Republican been in the White House, there might have been some civic reaction to Ruby Ridge and Waco. Ferguson is the ugly great-great-grandchild of Ruby Ridge and Waco.

I think we've seen the same thing dynamic out over the last several years, right up until Ferguson. Ferguson flipped a switch in some people's minds that remained untouched through countless Kathryn Johnstons and Sean Bells.

Can anyone explain why this particular incident lit the fuse?

I'm OK with not bothering to find out. The fuse needed lit a long time ago. If this doesn't fizzle, we'll be a better nation for it.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'm OK with not bothering to find out. The fuse needed lit a long time ago. If this doesn't fizzle, we'll be a better nation for it.
To the contrary, I think it's vital that we understand why this particular event tripped the trigger. We need an engaged citizenry, and if we can learn how to encourage that engagement, we'll all be better off in the long run.

Like you said, the fuse needed to be lit a long time ago. I'd like to know how.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Given what friends who were roughed up by cops during 1960's protests have told me, and my experience with family members who are cops, I'm doubtful they've changed much.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
FedGov gave away over $4 billion in gear, and all my county got was 54 assault rifles and a measly mine-resistant vehicle. How'd you score??

You can find out from this nifty interactive map, courtesy of the New York Times.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Obama: We Should Examine Programs That Funnel Military Gear To Police
In the wake of the ongoing clashes in Ferguson, Mo., President Barack Obama said Monday that there would likely be bipartisan interest in re-examining the federal programs that help funnel military-grade equipment to local and state law enforcement.

"I think it's probably useful for us to review how the funding has gone, how local law enforcement has used grant dollars to make sure that what they're purchasing is stuff that they actually need," he said at a Monday press conference. "I think there will be some bipartisan interest in reexamining some of those programs."
GoBama! A day later and a dollar short, but good intentions have to count for something, I guess. I'd rather see leadership than following the crowd, though.

Last edited:

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
My county: 446 assault rifles, 1 helicopter, 1 armored vehicle

I'd have to research to be sure, but I think that's more assault rifles than there are cops. By a wide margin.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Check out LA County in California on Don's link.

Also, Franklin County in Ohio. For starters...
Well, at least I haven't found any counties that were given nukes... yet.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
County nearest me has either 10 or 11 assault rifles. Haven't measured them so I am estimating that they are either Toole County or Hill County. Where is Sweetgrass?