Writers who can draw (or have other artistic talent)

E.G. Gammon

Registered
Reaction score
I have always been the type of writer who relies on my "way with words" - as my family calls it - to create my images/vision because I lack drawing ability. But, some writers out there can do both; here are some examples:

-J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series, has made it no secret that she can draw and has various times, shown off some of her HP character sketches.

-Christopher Paolini, the author of the Inheritence trilogy, drew the art for the original self-published version of Eragon. (Of course some people have questioned his writing ability because of the similarities between his series and The Lord of the Rings)

-James Cameron, the writer and director of Titanic, can certainly draw. His drawing talent is responsible for the nude sketch of "Rose" used in the film, Titanic.

And it's not just drawing ability. Some writers can also write music or sing or act. Is anyone out there like I am - someone who can't draw, write music, sing, or act (not that I've tried) and only has "a way with words?"

Of course, I am pretty good at computer graphic design, but does that even count?

Last edited:
Reactions: LucindaLynx

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Great question, EG!

I paint, draw, sketch, use coloring books.... When I feel like my writing is drying up or I need a little inspiration to finish a line in a poem, I'll doodle until it comes to me. I haven't always been into visual arts (except for the doodling). It started because my little sister pushed me into it about 8 years ago. I'm glad she did. My writing, which I feel is my primary art form, has improved because of it.

Direct your eye to this fine writer's site to see one of my own.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Sara, I have seen some of your work and it's beautiful! I love that you seem to possess such a delicate and precise hand.

I also paint, sketch and draw whenever I can. It's a compulsion. Sometimes it is nothing but a random profile and sometimes I get pulled completely in and can't set something down till it's complete.

I like to carve, too. give me a hunk of wood and my set of knives and I'll turn out something unusual every time. I've carved wooden signs, faces, animals and Celtic crosses. Usually they will be "colored" with at least a small spot of my blood. ~laughing~

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
[Of course, I am pretty good at computer graphic design, but does that even count?]

You can probably draw too. Drawing is a skill learned like reading. The difference is in the eye and heart, what you do after the skill is learned.
Drawing is a discipline for me, I love to throw paint and scratch with sharp objects on paper or canvas.

Sara that painting is beautiful and so graceful. That is one of my favorite pieces of William's too.

E.G. Gammon

Registered
Reaction score
Carole said:
I like to carve, too. give me a hunk of wood and my set of knives and I'll turn out something unusual every time. I've carved wooden signs, faces, animals and Celtic crosses. Usually they will be "colored" with at least a small spot of my blood. ~laughing~

Ah, I forgot about 3D forms of art like carving, sculpture and Ceramics! I loved Ceramics in high school and if I could, I'd pick it up again. I have photos of my pieces here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eggammon/my_photos

Paint said:
You can probably draw too. Drawing is a skill learned like reading. The difference is in the eye and heart, what you do after the skill is learned.
Drawing is a discipline for me, I love to throw paint and scratch with sharp objects on paper or canvas.

I have just never been compelled to physically draw by hand. I did take a computer art class in high school and we used a digital drawing pad and digital pen (I wasn't too bad at that), but we only drew from physical things we could see and feel. I don't think I could draw something from inside my own head.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I tend to doodle a lot, and I'm creative in ways other than my writing -- I do various crafts, I paint on occasion, and I like to make things out of random stuff I find around the house or the yard. I also sew -- which I didn't realize until recently that not a lot of people my age do. I've made a bit of spare cash sewing costumes for school plays and stuff like that. I don't think my talents are anything special but other people are constantly telling me how good I am at sewing/drawing/painting/whatever.

Maybe it's because those of us who write just have to have SOME sort of creative outlet -- when I'm not putting words on paper, I'm creating something out of clay or fabric or paint.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I love to sew, too. That's one of my favorite things. The last things I made mass quantities of and sold to many many men all over the world were frilly, fancy panties. Yep. There's a HUGE market for pink, silky knickers with an extra-wide gusset! These were a really hot item!

Attachments

• 6.6 00000.jpg
    6.6 00000.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Carole - Men buy those? Who would have guessed. What sizes do you find are most popular for them?

Emily - you're still drawing penguins. That counts.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
I drew a cover and doodled a few illustrations for a book that no one wants.

gulliver_mouse_small_bleed.jpg

passage.gif

adrift.gif

eat_a_horse.gif

gulliver_mouse_angry.gif

gulliver_mouse_victorious.gif

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Unique said:
Carole - Men buy those? Who would have guessed. What sizes do you find are most popular for them?

XL was the most pouplar by far, although I had one fella in the UK who I special made them for. He was a very small guy. The XL was equivelant to a ladies' panty size 10, but with a 4 inch wide gusset and slightly less room in the rear. They didn't want the skimpy ones, either. They wanted the full bloomers. All the ones I made were made from recycled vintage nylon nightgowns and robes. I'd just cut them up for the fabric.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joe, I like those!

I've dabbled in different media. My favorite is oil pastel; haven't done it since I had kids. I've also designed business cards and done some desktop publishing.

I have learned I'm astoundingly mediocre in everything creative, including writing. This lack of genius hasn't apparently stopped me, though. There is a compulsiveness to it.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think most writers are multi-skilled.

I like to draw(mostly portraits), I love songwriting and singing.

I did all of the illustrations for one of my picture books.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
I have no spatial aptitude whatsoever. . . I can't draw, paint, any of that stuff.

I do play hands drums very well though. I use my fingers alot, it might be why I am a fast typer too.

I am also a chef, which requires a certain amount of art in terms of taste and presentation. Though, if you know the principles of cooking the artistry is more of a science with creative flair, but that doesn't stop me from fooling the customers.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Unique said:
I thought you did that on purpose.

I don't suppose I was trying too hard--to draw well i have to spend hours on a piece and the peguins are firmly in the 'relax and just have fun rather than taking everything so serious dammit' zone ;)

BlackCrowesChick

Uptown Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Joe, your drawings are good!

I draw sometimes. I'm pretty good at it. I'm not the best, but good enough. I like to draw, I just don't very often.

No one has mentioned musical instruments yet, but I can play the piano and the guitar. I don't play them very often anymore either, though. I should get back to them.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Cool thread. I think most writers are artistic in many ways. I draw anything by looking at it, from a human to a landscape, a portrait, etc. I came into the world with that skill. I also play piano (I was taught to do that in about 9 plus years) and sing (I don't really like to do the singing part) As far as other artistry, I enjoy interior decorating. (One of my favorite hobbies.) I tried some painting on canvas, but I didn't like it. I also played drums in college in an all girls Jazz Band, which I LOVED! I think I have a good eye for Photography, at least that's what they tell me. I've dabbled with that for years.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think all arts are related. I draw and I do graphics design. I write music and I sing. I won't call myself anywhere near "professional" as far as art and music are concerned, but I do enjoy those creative outlets outside of writing, and sometimes they help with my writing (help me visualize things) and marketing -- for example, I designed my own website.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, I play the flute.

Again, mediocre.

I wish I could find SOMEthing I can do really well.

(Still thinking that someday I'll be a decent writer--at least I have the grammar, spelling, and synatax right most of the time.)
(Note the serial commas!)

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Joe, those are awesome and remind me a little of Edward Gorey.

I can't draw, paint, or anything artistic. I had art classes in high school, but if there's no talent to develop, then what? I have no aptitude in drawing anything.

I can't sing. My voice has a "hitch" right in the mid-range where many popular songs are sung. My wife sings beautifully, but whenever I try, I sound like the "generic teenager" in the Simpsons. Again, there's no talent that can be developed. Simon from American Idol would laugh uproariously at me. And who could blame him?

I TRIED to learn piano and TRIED to learn guitar. I suppose if I applied myself and tried in recent years, I could get pretty good at them. But as far as having a musical ear, I'm a rank amateur. I need structured lessons again for piano or guitar. But all that cuts into my very limited writing time.

I'm terrible at puzzles. I used to subscribe to Games magazine, but I sucked at most of the puzzles inside. I absolutely cannot do "cryptoquips" and refuse to even try. I'm also horrible at anything number-related. My wife pays all our bills.

But I'm a good electronics technician. I can troubleshoot and repair electronic devices and have restored numerous antique radios. I'm in the middle of a 1935 jukebox restoration and a player piano restoration.

I'm best at being a writer. For the most part, writing comes pretty easily for me, but fiction is a struggle. Nonfiction and history seem to be what I'm best at, but I'm trying my hardest at a children's book based.

allen

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, E.G. Gammon, I'm also one of those multi-skilled artists. I love creative expression that imbues all five senses (smell, touch, hearing, taste, sight); all things verbal/linguistic, visual/spatial and musical/rhythmic.

Along with writing, I dabble in interior design and construction, garden landscape, design and construction, crafts (knitting, hand sewing), cooking (with or without a recipe), ceramics, sketching, painting, and drawing (charcoal, oils, craypas, ink, pencil, etc.), music - as a creator and performer (by ear or reading music; piano/keyboard/organ, drums/bongos, recorder, xylophone, some bass and guitar and a few other instruments) and singing and song writing (solo, choir, chorus), dance (choreography, tap, jazz, ballet, etc.),and photography (mainly SLR, b/w and colour). *Ick, that was a list - and a very long sentence!*

Do you get the feeling there are not enough hours in the day? Yep, me too! (And these are only my artistic pursuits...) There's a link to some of my artwork (portraits and seascape) in my sig. if you're interested.
wink.gif

Last edited: