Status
Not open for further replies.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
One thing that I think worked well was that Mac let people know their stories were still being considered after an initial reading pass.

There were over 300 stories subbed for the Absolute Visions anthology. When you're reading for an anthology you have not only the usual "is this a publishable story" question, you have the issue of stories that will work together as an anthology, which in some respects is a bit like assembling a playlist.

The stories need to work together, and then they need to be in a particular order.

This is something I was going to ask about. I'm glad you posted this. I think once we decide how we'll select stories we should be able to tell folks their submission is still in play.

When I helped start a creative magazine at a college many years ago, the way we selected was based on votes among the group, then the numbers were whittled down. It was almost like a tournament. Each day we voted a submission up or voted one down. That's fine when you're in a room full of people and everybody is looking at the same piece of paper. On an online format such as this, something else needs to be done.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've run a few contests in my day, and something that worked well if you want to "judge by committee" instead of having a single editor with the final say is to have a rating system.

Decide, as a group, what the important points are for the story to make it to "the finals". Such as: Does it follow the theme? Is it actually Horror? And whatever else comes up.

Each point gets ranked, 1 to 5 or 10 or whatever, by each member of the committee. once ranked (and this can be done in a simple email--Title and total), that gets sent to whoever tallies it up. Pre-decide how many points or what top percentage will go into final consideration.

That way you, theoretically, could have a pool of finalists to piece together for the final anthology.

Something to consider and discuss, FWIW.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
This is exactly what I was thinking, too. I'm pretty sure we'll choose a Judge by Committee system and the rating system you describe is exactly what I thought we would need to use.

This also means that we'll have to have a list of things we'll be looking for and include them in the guidelines.

I've run a few contests in my day, and something that worked well if you want to "judge by committee" instead of having a single editor with the final say is to have a rating system.

Decide, as a group, what the important points are for the story to make it to "the finals". Such as: Does it follow the theme? Is it actually Horror? And whatever else comes up.

Each point gets ranked, 1 to 5 or 10 or whatever, by each member of the committee. once ranked (and this can be done in a simple email--Title and total), that gets sent to whoever tallies it up. Pre-decide how many points or what top percentage will go into final consideration.

That way you, theoretically, could have a pool of finalists to piece together for the final anthology.

Something to consider and discuss, FWIW.

Deleted member 42

Google Docs
Spreadsheet
Anonymous readers who vote on blind submissions, editor who tabulates and makes final decision.

And again, check with Mac and poetinahat.

Mac used a lot of what she learned from Coyote Wild in terms of the Absolute Visions Anthology.

Also, in general, you're going to need someone who takes final responsibility. Someone who is the ultimate point person. You will have stories that tie that really are equally well written, but perhaps one will fit, either in subject or style or length, more than the other. That's the nature of publishing.

Deleted member 42

I've already resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably get more than one or two very tersely worded and unhappy e-mails, plus a thorough butt-chewing from a Mod, and perhaps even a phone call that involves crying.

I don't see any need for any of that—and I started reading slush in the 1980s.

I would suggest that an inquiry to poetinahat and Mac about the kinds of letters they send would be revelatory.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't see any need for any of that—and I started reading slush in the 1980s.

I would suggest that an inquiry to poetinahat and Mac about the kinds of letters they send would be revelatory.

I cry easily. But yeah, that's another thing to add to the list.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Just remember, Ted - no matter how difficult it might be to say "No", especially to someone you might know, it's part of the job and everyone can't be in an anthology. I'd expect that most of us here are professional enough to know that, but there might be a few that can't accept it. I'd also expect you to tell me, for example, that anything I might submit (not that I likely will being involved in the production and all) simply didn't make the cut (in a polite and professional manner, of course).

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Just chiming in to say I am very, very interested in this! About to the point that seun said--would like to submit a story, but will be pretty much useless otherwise.

Question: Are you committed to this being "hard" horror? I wonder because what I write tends to skate that weird line between horror and urban fantasy.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just chiming in to say I am very, very interested in this! About to the point that seun said--would like to submit a story, but will be pretty much useless otherwise.

Question: Are you committed to this being "hard" horror? I wonder because what I write tends to skate that weird line between horror and urban fantasy.

Nobody is useless. Submissions, well-wishes and happy thoughts are all welcomed and needed.

We're currently going back and forth about where the lines are to be formed. There is some good points about going both ways.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
How is this going? Are any of the details beginning to fall in line or discussions being had. I am still interested in participating and if there is a way to help out I will.

toldyouso

Surly Temple
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
toldyousoandso.blogspot.com
I can't wait to hear more about this. I found the experience of Absolute Visions so wonderful. It seemed like a crap-load of work and yet I always felt in the loop of what was being put together.

TumbleHome

Inconsequential. Also: short.
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds great, can't wait for announcements!

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Regretfully, due to myriad circumstances, we will be unable to move forward with the Horror Hound Anthology. We appreciate the efforts of those who attempted to get it off the ground, but again, we won't be moving forward with the Horror Hound Anthology.

Status
Not open for further replies.