story length

jaytrueblood1974

Registered
Reaction score
As a veteran flash fiction/serialized fiction writer, I am wanting to start writing stories to be converted into episodic television scripts and am wondering about length. the fiction I am used to writing (other than the short stories and novels) and am referring to as serial fiction is between 1000 and 7000 words. anything short enough to take up a few seconds. what is the proper length of a story for a 30 minute program or an hour long program? I am aware that the scripting takes into account breaks for advertising or scene breaks, but am not sure if what I am used to can be used as base stories or not. can someone please help me?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As a veteran flash fiction/serialized fiction writer, I am wanting to start writing stories to be converted into episodic television scripts and am wondering about length. the fiction I am used to writing (other than the short stories and novels) and am referring to as serial fiction is between 1000 and 7000 words. anything short enough to take up a few seconds. what is the proper length of a story for a 30 minute program or an hour long program? I am aware that the scripting takes into account breaks for advertising or scene breaks, but am not sure if what I am used to can be used as base stories or not. can someone please help me?

I've never seen a script word count - they go by page counts. A half-hour script should run around 35 pages or so, though that depends on what you're writing. There's a fairly decent page difference between single- and multi-cam.

Hour-long kind of depend a bunch on what market you're thinking of. In general, probably 50?

How does something 7000 words take up a few seconds? Heh. Even 5000 words is 20 pages.