Read requests for scripts and for pages in SYW

FoolsTP

Registered
Reaction score
need a reader(s)/critique(s) for dramedy screenplay

sorry if this is in wrong forum btw...

the deal with this screenplay is that I was fortunate enough to skip the querying process to get it read but after a period of time rewriting under someone else's notes I decided to go a different direction. I'm looking for a couple people to read the latest draft (latest rewrite before I left this person... and no nothing was in writing with this other person but I can explain that, too if necessary) and critique it. I'm planning on doing one rewrite based on my own notes, then one more based on the notes of your critiques, then I'm planning on submitting it through queries to see how it does on its own merit. Then I can go from there whether i'm going to shelf it or keep working on it.

Thanks for your time and i'm not sure how it works on here but if interested contact me or post in this thread and i'll pm you my email if it isn't on my profile thing on here.

I can also answer any questions you might have about where it's been or whatever and it's an explicit content drama comedy coming of age story about a hapless Magic: The Gathering playing nerd who changes his act after his unrequited love and promiscuous roommate flaunts a virile stud in front of him once too often.

Paradis

Registered
Reaction score
well i'm no pro at screenplays, and i don't think i'd be much use to you from a technical correctness standpoint, but i may be interested in reading giving feedback on the content.

Personally, i'd recommend changing the "Magic" component. i'm sure you could find a half a dozen other stigmatized hobbies to use. Magic is the kind of game though that will polarize your audience's interest in the movie to begin with and likely been labeled fanboy-esque from the get go.

FoolsTP

Registered
Reaction score
If you're still interested in reading it i'll email it to you. Feedback on the content would be great.

Verbal

Suspicious of Bunnies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emperorsofbedlam.com
Hard $ Comedy About to Hit Hollywood --Moved to stickied read requests thread, p2.

Hello.

NOTE: Duplicate of my Beta Readers Thread

So I'm about to "go to the mattresses" with a script that I'm just finishing (1st draft anyway).

Could really use a hardcore beta reader who's into screenplays/movies to give it to me straight. Hold the sugar-coating. Seriously. Hollywood can be brutal. Got to have the equivalent of the "Hurt Locker" suit on to not end up in a fetal position under the desk, eating your hands and making wimpering noises.

Should have it ready for ripping apart--er,I mean reading--next week. In exchange, I can provide same for any kind of writing, but I have the most experience with screenplays.

Please send me a private message telling me how you roll, and I'll respond with the logline/query.

Thanks!

PS (Not sure why my Subject came out as "Hard $". It's supposed to say "Hard R")

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because the R is next to the 4/$, silly!

Maryn, a font of common sense

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
And this is why I respect Maryn so much. Her wisdom is outstanding. :evil

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Hello.

NOTE: Duplicate of my Beta Readers Thread

So I'm about to "go to the mattresses" with a script that I'm just finishing (1st draft anyway).

Could really use a hardcore beta reader who's into screenplays/movies to give it to me straight. Hold the sugar-coating. Seriously. Hollywood can be brutal. Got to have the equivalent of the "Hurt Locker" suit on to not end up in a fetal position under the desk, eating your hands and making wimpering noises.

Should have it ready for ripping apart--er,I mean reading--next week. In exchange, I can provide same for any kind of writing, but I have the most experience with screenplays.

Please send me a private message telling me how you roll, and I'll respond with the logline/query.

Thanks!

PS (Not sure why my Subject came out as "Hard $". It's supposed to say "Hard R")

I've moved this to the right place in Scriptwriting which is the read requests thread, stickied at the top of the forum.

Also, AW doesn't allow duplicate threads because the place would dissolve into confusion but I'll leave this one intact here. The beta forum thread will most likely remain too but that isn't my call and may be deleted. FYI.

Verbal

Suspicious of Bunnies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emperorsofbedlam.com
Thanks.

I've moved this to the right place in Scriptwriting which is the read requests thread, stickied at the top of the forum.

Also, AW doesn't allow duplicate threads because the place would dissolve into confusion but I'll leave this one intact here. The beta forum thread will most likely remain too but that isn't my call and may be deleted. FYI.

So sorry. Thanks for moving it for me. I'm still such a newbie.

KBlooms

Registered
Reaction score
Outline Critique

Hello all, I'm writing a dramedy about my job, life in the State House. It will be a dramedy that plays up office life and shows that aides are the ones that really run the place and without them, the Representatives would be lost.

Would anyone be willing to critique my TV Pilot?

WMcQuaig

insert something original or whitty
Registered
Reaction score
Having recently finished polishing a pilot script myself, I understand where you're coming from.

I think before you give it to anybody, you need to seriously think about a lot of the mechanics of the show. Break it down, how does this part interact with this part, who are these characters, what is the story, what kind of series would it be, what do I ultimately what this series to be. I know a lot of these questions sound rudimentary but they can really help you out in the long run. Basically, you need to know it inside and out and be 100% happy with what your putting out there.

You need to look at it like a mechanic trying to figure out what's wrong with a car and kicking himself in the ass for not buying that computer that could do it for him.

As for the critique, I'd be willing to help out but I want to state upfront...I have a tendency to be very very blunt, especially when it comes to writing.

PM me if you like.

KBlooms

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant my outline, I forget to write that in the OP.

IDGS

@LeaveItToIan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.iandgsandusky.com
Hey guys,

Seeking anyone who has any idea what the hell they're doing in the Screenwriting world to read over the first 5 - 10 pages of my screenplay.

I really just want to know if I'm doing it right, or treating it too much like a novel (which I'm used to writing.)

The script is an adaptation of my first published work, so obviously it's very like writing the novel to me.

Send me a PM and I'll email it to you.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Jacintha19

Registered
Reaction score
Shorten my synopsis! -> Moved to stickied Read Request thread

I'm looking for someone who would be willing to shorten up a synopsis I already have written for my screenplay. I could do it, but I'd rather be tending to more important things regarding my screenplay right now. As I've said, the synopsis is already written, but I'd like to get it down to one page.

If you're interested PM me.

Thanks.

arrodiii

Registered
Reaction score
Feedback?

Good afternoon all,

I am wondeirng if anyone would be interested in reading what I have so far to give me some feedback? I really don't know of a site to post it at and would be more than happy to send a PDF. Please let me know.

Thanks, Adam.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Hi Arrodiii, you should check out our Share Your Work section (or SYW colloquially). You can post your first ten pages or your logline and synopsis and we can guide you on the right track (don't forget to read and critique others as well, hint hint). Welcome to AW!

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Share Your Work (Screenwriting) is here. The password to get in is vista.

I've moved this thread to the Read Requests thread which is stickied at the top of the Screenwriting forum, and is where all requests for reads should go. Thanks.

arrodiii

Registered
Reaction score
Mario C and Clockwork,

My apologies for posting in the wrong area and thank you for moving to the correct area.

Thanks, Adam

Furthermore

Registered
Reaction score
Read request

I've posted the opening scene of a half-finished screenplay based on a real event, an abandoned project that I'd like to revive. It's less than a page in length and acts as kind of a prologue to the story so I don't think any context is necessary.

I'm pretty new at this so comments about anything--content, style, etc.--are welcome, but I'd specifically like to know if it has the intended effect on readers and not something else. And does it make you want to read more?

Link: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5326429#post5326429

Mods, I'm a newbie here and still wandering around a bit confused. If I've haven't followed the correct procedure for this, my apologies and I'm open to direction.

Thanks.

d_racae_lyn

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between this dreary reality and the far
Website
www.dracaelynsdreams.com
Hello, I go by D'racae'lyn here on AW. I was wondering if you have anything where companies that are into animation come to look for new ideas? I have two that I am working on, both based on my own books, and I was wondering if there were anywhere here on AW that I could possibly post them with the view in mind of someone actually possible seeing them and finding them interesting enough to contact me. Please email me at [email protected] if there is a place here on Aw for that so that I can post the two story lines that I have so far.

blessings to all

D'racae'lyn

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I go by D'racae'lyn here on AW. I was wondering if you have anything where companies that are into animation come to look for new ideas? I have two that I am working on, both based on my own books, and I was wondering if there were anywhere here on AW that I could possibly post them with the view in mind of someone actually possible seeing them and finding them interesting enough to contact me. Please email me at [email protected] if there is a place here on Aw for that so that I can post the two story lines that I have so far.

blessings to all

D'racae'lyn

D'racae'lyn,

You really need to look around here and find out how things work -- this is EXACTLY the sort of thing people on the PA threads have been trying to tell you. This is NOT how you go about a serious attempt at getting someone to read your work.

You can't expect them to contact you.

You need to get a FINISHED product together and present that to an agency that handles such things (or even to a production company if you can find one that will look at unagented submissions.)

Producers, directors, agents, managers, etc. have people approaching them by the thousands, and they have certain procedures in place to protect themselves when it comes to acquiring material. For their own legal safety, trawling for ideas isn't something they can encourage.

aj1981

Registered
Reaction score
How do you attach a file for a read request?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
How do you attach a file for a read request?
This board isn't set up for file attachments, which take up too much server resource. But you can post plain text sample pages for review/critique in our Share Your Work forum (password = vista), especially the Screenwriting sub-forum if it's a screenplay.

Also check out the "Reformatting text for posting" section in the info announcement visible from all SYW sub-forums.

-Derek

eslocklier

Registered
Reaction score
Script Help

I always like to read what's being sold at the moment while I'm writing my own scripts and have found this site very useful. ISMDB Also a fan of IMDB obviously.