Hockey fans?

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Weird to say, but I'm hoping Semin signs anywhere BUT Washington next year.

The boy just wants money, doesn't wanna play!

The consensus seems to be he won't sign. http://districtsportspage.com/washi...ason-roundtable-part-v-free-agent-frenzy/8117

I agree with you, with one proviso--who the new coach is. Semin just isn't a defensive whiz, so the switch to such an emphasis on defense was bound to affect him. (That, plus being such a prima donna at times. He was blocking shots there at the end, so there's that.)

I think the switch to a defensive system hasn't worked that well given the personnel we've had.

I'm sorry to see Knuble go.

Maybe we need cocaptains. I can't see Ovechkin getting the boot, but he doesn't seem able to lead -- or influence the other Alex. Then again, he's had his own problems with consistency of effort.

Not that they're asking me. :D (I've been yelling my suggestions at Nats games recently, and they've been similarly unresponsive.)

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
The consensus seems to be he won't sign. http://districtsportspage.com/washi...ason-roundtable-part-v-free-agent-frenzy/8117

I agree with you, with one proviso--who the new coach is. Semin just isn't a defensive whiz, so the switch to such an emphasis on defense was bound to affect him. (That, plus being such a prima donna at times. He was blocking shots there at the end, so there's that.)

I think the switch to a defensive system hasn't worked that well given the personnel we've had.

Maybe we need cocaptains. I can't see Ovechkin getting the boot, but he doesn't seem able to lead -- or influence the other Alex. Then again, he's had his own problems with consistency of effort.

Not that they're asking me. :D (I've been yelling my suggestions at Nats games recently, and they've been similarly unresponsive.)

Don't feel bad. I'm sure both teams appreciate all your suggestions. They love it when fans yell stuff at them.
icon10.gif

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com

Knuble and Halpern would both be beneficial, depending on the coach. I don't see how personnel decisions can be made without a coach and system in place. McPhee does not decide the system, only the players.

I've been saying they need a new captain for a season and a half. Ovie's production started dropping when he got the C. He's not a leader, in that sense, but he leads when he doesn't have the weight of the team on him...

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to the Kings. Not the team I would have picked to win it, but a feel good story all the same.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to the Kings. Not the team I would have picked to win it, but a feel good story all the same.

Yes, they really seemed to be the team of destiny this year. I've never used that phrase, but it seems to be appropriate here.

TheBuckMopsHere

Just a dude with a song in his head
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.questionablesource.blogspot.com
So is the opening by the NHL to the CBA talks going to equal a loss of a season again?

Doubt it. Maybe a shortened season a la NBA 2012, but I can't imagine they'd sit back and lose another year like 04-05. That would be a deathblow for a fringe league like the NHL. I'll guess they play at least 60 games this year. Who knows, it might even be more entertaining to see them play fewer games before the playoffs.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
No more Semin for the Caps. I suppose I should feel sorry, since at times he was good. Now I'm in more of a "don't let the door hit your behind" state of mind. The change may do him some good, too.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else looking at the CBA talks and worried that our season will be gone again?

Will this break you of your hockey addiction now, if we lose another season?

I'm a bit worried, but I've been telling myself they wouldn't be stupid enough to lose another season.

A lost season wouldn't break me of hockey fandom -- it didn't before.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying baseball. Go Nats!