Writing something fully retrospective...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant99

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm reviewing the first draft of my WIP and just wondering what the implications are for how I've written it.

In general it's a middle grade/realistic fiction/domestic drama novel at 44K words that is told in multiple third-person with dual MCs (man/girl).

It's fifteen chapters long, and the last chapter is the 'wrap up' and closure. Chapter fourteen is the pinnacle. What I've done is take the last half of chapter fourteen and use it as the beginning/chapter one. What basically happens is the male MCs is gravely injured protecting the other MC. As he slips into unconsciousness, he "recalls what brought them so close together."

Then the rest of the book is told in a retrospective that leads to what happened in the beginning. Despite what might be seen as 'giving away the ending', events in the book very much change how the reader will see it once they reach that point. It will carry a lot more significance once they reach chapter fourteen.

So, without being too brutal, are there any inherent issues with telling a story like this? (Where the entire book is essentially one big retrospective.) I did a search on the word 'retrospective' in the forum and didn't come up with anything substantive.

Any thoughts?

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
I have no problem with it. I know I've seen this sort of thing done before, and it can work when done well (naturally, examples are not coming easily to mind at the moment, but if I remember them, I'll say so).

Savant99

Registered
Reaction score
it can work when done well
You make an excellent point here, and I certainly appreciate that It may come down to how well I've written it.

My main concern was that this was something that is 'frowned' upon or such. I was a bit concerned when I wrote it this way, but it seemed to work well for this particular story.

(By the way, for the life of me I tried to think of other examples and drew a blank too. :) )

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
One problem, if the first chapter is the last half of chapter 14 where the male MC is thinking back, then the story is established from a singular PoV and the voice is that of the male MC. There would be no way for that PoV to know what the other PoV's are thinking in retrospect. If that PoV is out of a scene, then there is no way for that PoV to know what happens, etc.

Unless the real PoV is omniscient...

Savant99

Registered
Reaction score
Unless the real PoV is omniscient...
It's third person multiple (subjective), so POV isn't an issue. It's more the story technique. I hadn't seen it done like this, so I just wanted to know if that was because it's not done at all, or if it's because it's just not done very often.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I hadn't seen it done like this, so I just wanted to know if that was because it's not done at all, or if it's because it's just not done very often.

It's not an uncommon structure. Its use goes at least back to The Odyssey.

Josie Cloos

Registered
Reaction score
In my own head most of the time, but I take jaunts
I have a story that uses the same technique. Someone brings up something, so she goes to take a shower to escape the questioning. But the gate has been opened and all the memories, which is the actual story, come flooding back to her. It wraps up back in 'present' day.

It's a very viable technique.

I do however have the same concern about having the multiple pov's in the story as you've set it up, that thothgurad does. But before I go on, what's your plan for transitioning between the different pov's?

Steve Day

Registered
Reaction score
There are no 'rules' in writing fiction. But some techniques have a degree of difficulty that are best avoided unless one has a few novels under their belt.

Ask yourself:why am I telling the story in this fashion? Is it 'better' than others?

Savant99

Registered
Reaction score
what's your plan for transitioning between the different pov's?
It's written in a third-person multiple subjective narrative. It's not as common a narrative as third-person limited, I know, but it works for what I've written. Some scenes stick with one character's POV, while other scenes may rotate back and forth. (Although never more than one POV in any one paragraph) Since the story revolves around only two characters (with only rare appearances of third parties) things flow back and forth pretty smoothly. This author helps cover some of the reasons why I like using it.

So far my teenage beta readers have liked it and haven't have any problem with the POV, so I'm not too concerned in that regard.

I was more concerned that a retrospective might be seen in the same light as starting a novel with a character waking up. :) I haven't written a retrospective before, which was why I asked.

jdmaccombs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jdmaccombs.blogspot.com
Quite simply, it's all about your reasoning behind the retrospection.

If you feel it's integral to telling the story the way you want to tell it, then, by all means, do it.

If you did it solely to hook the reader, then it's probably not the right reason.

I only say this because I did the same thing when I first started my novel, and quickly realized it was more of a cheap, unnecessary tactic than a thoughtful choice.

However, it doesn't seem like this is the case with your story, so as long you're introspective (sorry, had to do it!), then I don't see any problem with it.

brasiliareview

author of Sweet Bread
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brasiliareview.org
Vonnegut said (paraphrasing) you should tell the reader everything up front so that s/he feels comfortable following you on your journey.

Tripper

Tripp Blunschi
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trippblunschi.com
I like stories like this because usually there is a reason for retrospection. It's that whole "not everything is as it seems" situation that makes me read (or watch) and pay a little more attention to detail. Especially if I have a clue for the reason for the retrospection. Plus, I think it lends some credibility to the narrator (assuming the narrator is the one retrospecting).

Status
Not open for further replies.