Chronology and Making a Story Out of Disjointed Anecdotes

fossie

Registered
Reaction score
I have a substantial portion of a memoir written in the form of a number of disjointed anecdotes. The challenge, for me, is this:

The story I am trying to tell spans over two decades. From my perspective, I can write (and have written) a series of anecdotes, and they will make perfect sense because I have a context for them. The reader doesn't have the benefit of this context.

I've read about and discussed this sort of issue with other memoir writers, and have learned that many writers play fast and loose with time, space, and other details in order to frame the story in a way that communicates the meaning of events to the reader.

That works fine for me. I have some fixed points that I have to maneuver around, but I can figure it out.

I just don't have a good strategy for taking a disjointed collection of anecdotes and putting them together into a cohesive story with a beginning, middle and end. This is mostly difficult because I have a beginning and middle, but since I am still living this story, I don't have a good ending. I'm waiting to see how this ends myself.

How do others deal with this?

Cheers,
Fossie

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You pick your ending based on your theme. Random this-stuff-happened-to-me is unappetizing. Pick your theme, and from your theme you pick your anecdotes. You pick the ending based on the narrative arc: the message showing how you've changed, what the events meant to you, etc.

A good book talking about this issue for memoir writers is Tristine Rainer's Your Life as Story.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

fossie

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you.

That's kind of where I'm stuck. I have a theme, but it doesn't inherently suggest a structure for the story. Like you, I find a collection of anecdotes to be normally tedious, and frequently self-indulgent, if there is no point to it - if it doesn't take the reader to some sort of understanding.

The theme (weakly stated) is that it is an apology of sorts, and a story of loyalty and difficult choices when loyalties conflict.

I'll have a look at the book you suggested.

Cheers,
Fossie

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

In that case, I'd show scenes of how you got into whatever bad stuff it was, what you did that you're apologizing for, how you changed, why you're apologizing, in that order.

But yes, do look into Tristine Rainer's book.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Is this the same memoir being discussed in the anonymity thread? I ask because your description here and the details you provided there don't sound like they're about the same book.

fossie

Registered
Reaction score
Is this the same memoir being discussed in the anonymity thread?
Yes, it is the same project. The issues discussed in that thread are actually quite incidental - big issues, but not what I hope to focus on.

Without getting into much detail, essentially, a series of increasingly improbable events led to an outcome that is hard for most folks to understand. My hope is that I can show how something like this can come to pass, one seemingly small event at a time.

I started the project as a personal letter, of sorts, to my immediate family, to help them understand some things that otherwise wouldn't make much sense over the past 20 years. Maybe offer a little closure.

As I got into it, it evolved into something that I think I want more people to read.

I'm fond of saying that no one ever acts irrationally - they just act in accordance with the experiences that brought them to this exact moment. When we don't understand why people do things, it is because we don't get to see how they came to that place. And, humans don't like vacuums. They will fill in that lack of insight with conjecture.

Or, phrased another way, conjecture loves ignorance.

I've lived and worked in a lifestyle that is full of these holes that other people fill. I hope to show how most of the reality that belongs in those holes is mundane, and that anyone, under the same circumstances, could come to the same place in life.

So really, this is why I am struggling with a proper story line. I went into this with the idea of just showing a series of anecdotes that collectively explain some nebulous concept.

Though, I think I may have figured it out. I think that I have to end the story in the middle - at the climax, in a way. It doesn't explain what happened after that or how the aftermath played out, but that is inconsequential to the point, really. And, maybe I can muster up the skill to pull off an unsettled ending without making it an unsatisfying read.

I almost think that is the best way to end a memoir, though. Just as life goes on, memoirs don't end. As I think about some of my favourite memoirs, they all sort of end in the middle insomuch as they leave a great deal unresolved.

Still thinking about this ...

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, it's fine to end with the big bang, so to speak. What you can do is add an epilogue or author's note that brings the reader up to speed on any important late developments.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fond of saying that no one ever acts irrationally - they just act in accordance with the experiences that brought them to this exact moment. When we don't understand why people do things, it is because we don't get to see how they came to that place. And, humans don't like vacuums. They will fill in that lack of insight with conjecture.

Or, phrased another way, conjecture loves ignorance.

I've lived and worked in a lifestyle that is full of these holes that other people fill. I hope to show how most of the reality that belongs in those holes is mundane, and that anyone, under the same circumstances, could come to the same place in life.

I have to confess: I don't really understand a darn thing about what you're saying here or the point you're trying to make. Maybe it's just too deep for me.

FWIW, when I read an autobiography or memoir, I either want to (a) care about the author or (b) learn a lot about the times and places in which he or she lived. I don't particularly want to be hit over the head with a Big Important Point. If your story entertains first, educates second, and gets your point about loyalty across third, it might just work.

Just my two bits.

PrincessFiona

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that the ending is written based on the theme. Perhaps you haven't looked at all sides of the themes that you are writing about.

Is this a story of healing or redemption for example? How did you reach that place and what does your life look like? That's just one example.

What is your theme?

Kris