Status
Not open for further replies.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
Okay, here's something I'm curious about after seeing it a lot lately (in lit mags--not anyone here, mind you). Why does it seem like everyone is breaking their stories up into sections—or chapters, if you will? For me, when a story is broken up into different sections my attention snaps and never really returns. I'm a bit ADD. But how do you feel about this? Have you noticed segmented stories, and how do you feel about them?

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't noticed this, but if you're describing more than a scene break I wouldn't enjoy it.

I'm guessing it's personal preference, I don't like novellas either. I either want something that will keep me entertained/occupied for 400 pages or 5-20.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, I'm not much for novellas either. They have the feel of a Writer's Digest condensed book, which references my childhood way too much, lol. My mother worked at the local library and brought all the extricated volumes home. Yay, me.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean a symbol to show there's a scene break?

*** or #

Like that?

If so, I like it because otherwise it takes me out of the story a bit to figure it out that we're somewhere else in time or space now. A few blank lines would do the same thing, though.

Or do you mean something else?

Last edited:

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
No, it's not that. Those don't bother me, as it's kind of nice to get a heads up on when a scene is changing. No, it's more like tiered, or chaptered stories. Breaks me out of the story every time.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I think sometimes it can work quite nicely. And, yes, I have seen this in the journals, too. I think it is just another format. I tried writing a story this way. While it was fun to try, it is not something I will do regularly. I think it really depends on the story when it comes to working or not working.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean modular fiction? I write like that a lot. It works for me and is easier for me to read, actually. It forces me to pay attention to piece things together and watch as the puzzle is being laid out. I love the connections made between the sections, especially when done skillfully.

Amos Gunner

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what "modular fiction" is, and a quick search suggests it's one of those categories without a clear definition.

But sounds interesting. Any favorite modular fiction pieces?

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Sounds like a personal preference. It certainly would not bother me.

Chapters and chapter breaks have been used ever since there were books long enough to be broken up. If many people had a problem with them the practice would not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.