Shameless Self-Promotion-Horror-Writing Seminar

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
I posted here more frequently in the past -- I still show up on occasion, so there may still be people who remember me.

I'm going to be teaching a two-day Seminar in Horror Screenwriting this April.

Here's the flyer. If you live in the New York area and are interested (or know anybody who is), please them know.

FUNDAMENTALS
OF HORROR
SCREENWRITING
An intensive Weekend Seminar taught by
Pro Screenwriter Neal Marshall Stevens
(Thir13en Ghosts, Hellraiser: Deader)

“Fear is the oldest and strongest emotion of mankind…”
H.P. Lovecraft.

As long as there have been movies, there have been horror movies and the tradition of terror that began a hundred years ago is still thriving in theaters, on television, and in new media today.

In this two-day seminar aimed at both beginners and experienced screenwriters who want to learn more about the genre, professional Brooklyn-based screenwriter Neal Marshall Stevens will explore how the mechanics of fear and suspense inform the fundamentals of movie storytelling and how those story fundamentals are an essential part of the Cinema of Fear.

SATURDAY SESSION: Story-telling basics. Narrative structure. Dramatic Thesis. Plot, Character, and Theme. A Brief History of Terror.

SUNDAY SESSION: The Origins of Fear. Types of Cinematic Scares. Explicit vs. Non-explicit Horror. The “Boo” Moment. The Sense of Dread. The Future of Horror.

“Neal Marshall Stevens is one of the most consistently original and scariest writers in the horror genre and has been for over a decade,” David Greathouse, Producer (TUSK, Buried Alive)

“…Original ideas, unusual twists are the hallmarks of his writing. As the story editor on our series "Monsters," Neal was both a great partner & contributor to its success.” Mitch Galin, Producer (Dune Mini-Series, The Stand Mini-Series, Monsters-Syndicated TV Series)

WHEN: Sat. April 5 & Sun. April 6 / 1:00 to 5:00 both days.

WHERE: 165 Marlborough Road, Brooklyn, NY. (take Q train to Beverly Rd, walk half a block North on Marlborough Rd)

HOW: To ensure a place, please call 917-612-6961

HOW MUCH: $250.00 per person in advance (payable through paypal at [email protected]) or $300.00 (by certified check or money order) payable at the start of session one, space permitting.

Please note that there is a $25.00 non-refundable penalty for no-shows.

For additional information, please contact:
[email protected]
user_online.gif

Last edited: