What are you reading?

Quixotic

Novice Writer
Registered
Reaction score
A Betrayal in Winter by Daniel Abraham. I miss Amat, the old lady from the first book, but Betrayal has the same beautiful imagery and emotional writing that I love, so it's a fair trade off.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Just Finished:
Nightingale, by David Farland. YA fantasy about a hidden race of humans. The short review: disappointing.

Currently Reading:
The World is Your Litter Box, by Steve Fisher. A how-to book for cats. So far, fun.

The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson. Epic fantasy. I really enjoy it, but I find myself unable to read for long stretches due to various distractions. Hopefully, I finally finish the thing this month...

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Divergent by Veronica Roth. I love it so much, that already I have it listed as one of my favorite books. I'm probably mildly late to the party for the books intended crowd. Oh well.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Forgotten Juliet, the first of the Cain Saga manga by Kaori Yuki. Fun, a bit eerie, perfect horror relaxation.

Oedipus Rex, in a deliberately different translation than the one I usually read. Still brilliant, no matter who translates it.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Still reading One Shot and also perusing Eli Wodell's geneology publication. We're related. I own my great-great grandmother's copy, printed 1888. Until Lizzie Borden, Eli was the most infamous accused murderer to come out of Fall River, Massachusetts. They say he killed his wife, he denied it and was found not guilty.

methinks he protesteth too mucheth.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
The Perfect Suspect by Margaret Coel. Her protag is a journalist who's trying to solve a crime. Since my second novel (under contract) is a journalism student and I adore Margaret's work, I snatched up this book.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult. It was good but I was able to guess the ending.

I am now reading Joyland by Stephen King. So far, so good!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now and Forever, Ray Bradbury. It consists of two novellas: Somewhere a Band Is Playing, and Leviathan '99. I'm about to the end of the first one. Tasty!

Jaims22

Registered
Reaction score
Divergent by Veronica Roth. I love it so much, that already I have it listed as one of my favorite books. I'm probably mildly late to the party for the books intended crowd. Oh well.

I am just now reading it too. I own a coffee shop, and we have a monthly book club. Divergent is our book this month. We normally go pretty mainstream, but we've been disappointed with the overwhelming sadness of the books we've been reading, so this is somewhat of a refreshing change of pace.

Shelley the Truck

bad with numbers
Registered
Reaction score
Recollections: A Baby Boomer's Memories of the Fabulous Fifties by Jim Chambers. I really do like it.

Trying to read a range of memoirs to help me finish my own. A-list to no-name authors; gives a good perspective as to where my work fits in.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jaims22, there's a thread here somewhere in which someone asked for recommendations of "non-sad" books - it's a great long thread with many titles in it. If I can remember where it is I'll PM you with the link. :D

I set aside the Bradbury after finishing that first novella (which was a total delight) and am now a couple chapters into The Little Friend by Donna Tartt, with thanks to HarryHoskins for the recommendation. Enjoying it immensely.

Jaims22

Registered
Reaction score
Jaims22, there's a thread here somewhere in which someone asked for recommendations of "non-sad" books - it's a great long thread with many titles in it. If I can remember where it is I'll PM you with the link. :D

Yay! Thanks. It's not so much that we don't enjoy a good tearjerker, but that we wanted lighter for summer.;)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Thanks. It's not so much that we don't enjoy a good tearjerker, but that we wanted lighter for summer.;)

I have failed to find it, however. And I don't do search very well, either. Maybe it will surface soon (if someone posts in it and I happen to see that.)

:)

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Insurgent. Then either District 5 or The Fault in Our Stars.