Please Help! Anyone Strong In This Technique How Do You Do It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
You have to know it beforehand & work it out methodically from there.

No you don't. At least I hope not, as I generally don't have a clue about all the intricacies and twists until I start writing (and revising).

I have amazing admiration for people who can get all their ducks in a row before they start writing and get the story fully in place and fleshed out in draft 1, but I don't think all, or even most, writers work this way. Anne McCaffrey famously said something along the lines of not knowing how her stories were going to end, for instance, (and that's why she wrote them).

Reaction score
I heard Jasper Fforde describe them once as off-ramps. He'd plant them in the story and decide whether or not to use them later. Which sounds like a useful technique for those of us less rigorous in planning (i.e. me).

If you want to study misdirection and clue-littering in a more condensed form than J.K. Rowling, whodunits are a good place to look. Agatha Christie's Murder of Roger Ackroyd is a classic work of misdirection.

Thank you, Cath. I'm going to get my hands on that right now!

Reaction score
No you don't. At least I hope not, as I generally don't have a clue about all the intricacies and twists until I start writing (and revising).

I have amazing admiration for people who can get all their ducks in a row before they start writing and get the story fully in place and fleshed out in draft 1, but I don't think all, or even most, writers work this way. Anne McCaffrey famously said something along the lines of not knowing how her stories were going to end, for instance, (and that's why she wrote them).

Roxx, this makes me think of the first time that I read Ender's Game.
(My nephew aged 13 kept putting it on the dinner table before me demanding that I read it everytime he came to visit. I never cared to. After six months of other people glaring at me, he managed to shame me into reading it.)

Anyway...

I loved it instantly, and it was the subtext between Colonel Graf and the other grown-ups present at battle school that hooked me.
I loved searching for the true meaning of what they were always discussing.

Thank you, for clearing up something.
So, I don't have to be the architect like you said above, just simply go back and make the adjustments.

Nothing wrong with that.

Reaction score
If that's what it takes, I do not understand why I'm not a world-famous zillionaire now. If anything, my handwriting is even worse and my lines wonkier.

Truly, the universe is not fair.

You know, I've seriously considered this.
If visualizing it on a sheet of paper is all it takes, relatively speaking, why aren't there more J K Rowlings?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
You know, I've seriously considered this.
If visualizing it on a sheet of paper is all it takes, relatively speaking, why aren't there more J K Rowlings?

Because that's not all it takes. There's that whole writing the story in a compelling way thing too.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Because that's not all it takes. There's that whole writing the story in a compelling way thing too.
Considering the number of "self-pub fails" blogs and tumblr pages out there, there's truth to Helix's words.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how Rowling does it, but for me (I tend towards the seat of the pants end of the writing spectrum), going back and editing those hints and clues in after the first (or second, or third, or fourth or whatever) draft/revision is written and I know what's going to happen later.

For instance, with my first novel, there was a character I didn't *realize* was a baddie until I'd revised the thing a few times. But it was fairly easy to go back in and subtly change a couple of things re her interactions with my main character in earlier chapters, so it wouldn't seem like it was completely out of the blue.

That's pretty much how I do it too. I usually write a rough outline for the main plot up to the halfway point, but when I start writing, inevitably I'll come up with new stuff (characters, subplots that add to the main plot etc) and I have to go back and add hints and clues.

I also have a separate document where I'll list things such as "REMEMBER THAT CHARACTER X STILL HAS THE KEY CARD" or "REMEMBER THAT CHARACTER Y IS INTO HACKING" etc. As I add those hints back into the story, I cross them off the separate document.

It takes me several rounds of editing to do this sufficiently, though, and yea, I'm nowhere near as good as Rowling at it. Also, I can't imagine how people who finish their polished work off in one draft do it either. It's purty impressive.

dca123

Registered
Reaction score
You have to make sure to give each clue equal emphasis to other similar items that aren't clues. Thanks to JKR's world-building skills, she'd mention an item or a character who seemed very minor at the time, and you'd integrate it as part of the rich world she created. It could be books later that that character or item shows its true importance. Authors will less skill drop clues as part of description, but they have giant arrows over them, saying "Look at me, I'll be important later!"
Well said! I totally agree.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It just happens. I never plan a clue, or a red herring, or foreshadowing. I write, and these things happen as a natural outgrowth of description and character.

There is no right or wrong way to do it. Mystery writers need constant clues, misdirections, red herrings, and foreshadowing, but they go about it in many ways. It can all be planned in minute detail, or it can all happen without any planning at all, one one way is as good as another.

You just have to figure out which way works for you.

I'd go nuts, if I had to plan all these things in advance. I wouldn't do it. I'd give up writing, and start doing something sensible, like collecting bat eyebrows. Others love planning such things, and good for them.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I have some that weren't planned and some that were added later. I think some of them come from being specific in my details. Others are there because I had certain themes in mind when writing. Some were added to strengthen a theme. That they end up being important in other ways is happenstance except where added later according to plan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.