how to avoid sounding like a ____

Status
Not open for further replies.

growingupblessings

Drinking lots of coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm using this word because I really can't think of anything better. SPAZ - a person exhibiting an over the top emotional response. An urban, not clinical, definition.

I believe that I generally write this way. For example, if you told me told me you had experienced some type of good luck, I would reply, "That's FANTASTIC! AMAZING!" ,etc.

Or, in regards to a hardship, I would say, "How HORRIBLE! DEVASTATING!" ,etc.

When I write, I often use words like these. Do they sound as spastic when written as they do when spoken IRL? Sometimes they are warranted. Sometimes the situation is truly terrifying, and should be written as such. Sometimes I just get tired of thinking of things as bad/good and want something with more depth.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Avoid all caps and use fewer exclamation marks.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Say nothing and have your characters do the same.

You may have noticed that different people react verbally in diffeent ways. If you told several people that you had won a lottery jackpot, then you could expect reactions ranging from a ten minute collection of superlative to a shrug. Someone who doesn't know you from Adam would have no reason to be enthusiastic about your good fortune. Keep that in mind and have some of your characters react suitably.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I think your problem is illustrated by the use of the word "spastic".

Not only do a lot of people find it offensive, but you've had to define how *you* use it in your first sentence, because you are aware that people won't understand you otherwise.

If you feel your vocabulary is lacking, work to expand it.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
If you're talking about something happening to a character in a story you're writing, or if you're writing about yourself in an essay, describe the feeling.

Just some of-the-cuff examples: Instead of "I felt horrible," you could say, "My body shook and I couldn't think." Or instead of "That was amazing," write, "She grinned and clapped her hands until they were sore."

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

Not only do a lot of people find it offensive, but you've had to define how *you* use it in your first sentence, because you are aware that people won't understand you otherwise.

Yeah, I have a lot of issues with the word spaz.

I know you don't mean it to be offensive, but in the future, please avoid using it, at least in the Novels forum.

ETA: That suggestion is for growingupblessings, not for Twick, whom I am agreeing with.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

This is a good point on two accounts. Instead of just telling us what you want to avoid (over-the-top emotional responses), you've defined it with a term that is offensive to some and not clear enough to define what you mean. It's a way of telling what you're also trying to show us, which, along with other offenses, also makes it redundant.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunate word choice aside, I suspect your writing weakness may be using words which exaggerate. If my kid wins her class's spelling bee, that's good, but since she's a bright kid who I saw study, it's not fantastic, amazing, terrific, etc. But if my kid with a learning disability, or essential laziness, were to win, it might be.

You want to reserve the big-gun words and exclamation marks for events which deserve them. Otherwise it becomes like the standing ovation for live theatre, which once happened infrequently for phenomenal performances but is now expected for every performance, even lackluster ones.

You probably also want to get inside the POV character's head more. When my imaginary challenged kid wins the spelling bee, I may use such words, but as part of bigger thoughts and reactions which include surprise, pride, and wonder.

Maryn, whose kids were the smart-studying type

growingupblessings

Drinking lots of coffee
Registered
Reaction score

I see. Writing non-verbal communication is difficult but better in many cases.

As is verbal, apparently. I truly meant no offence. As I've already stated, I live in this kind of an extremely emotional place. My apologies for any I offended. :(

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I find the word "spaz" offensive too. Don't use it, please.

All-caps can be effective when used appropriately, but they are tiring when over-used.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Other thoughts are that dialogue rarely sticks to "That's amazing!" or "That's horrible!" A hardship may end up with an "I'm so sorry," and then move on to how to cheer up the person or inquiries about what led to the problem or how they could fix it. There could be some talk about the circumstances behind the problem or a similar situation the other character was in. They're not going to live in a vacuum of exclamations.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought when I read the question was that you need to look for specifics rather than superlatives. In other words, something may indeed feel WONDERFUL, but what kind of wonderful, precisely? Stormie in her post up-thread gave some excellent examples.

Try writing some poetry. Make yourself look for very specific qualities in your word choice.

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I think you need to build up your vocabulary. Spaz/spastic (yes it's offensive) seems to be the only word you could think of to explain what you meant, but even that didn't really fit because you then went on to explain what you really meant.

You could have said:

"How to avoid sounding like...

...an overly emotional airhead
...an idiot
...someone who's getting overexcited over silly things
...a drama queen
...a drunkard
...a daytime TV presenter
...a game show host
...someone who's taken too much cocaine
...roadrunner on acid"

or any number of other ways to explain what someone sounds like when the USE ALL CAPS AND TOO MANY EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!! (To answer your question, yes writing like that does make the character in question sound like a game show host on cocaine. Or like they're standing on a hill yelling the words through a loudhailer.)

Reading more will help you develop better ways of expressing yourself, without even trying. Practicing finding different ways to say the same thing also helps. This will help you also with finding better words that amazing, wonderful, etc, and feeling like you need to capitalise stuff and add exclamation marks. You'll find better ways to express all of that.

Last edited:

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Any forum that allows a thread title such as this to stand is not one I wish to frequent. It's been pissing me off mightily every time I see it, so I'm out of here.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah.... not happy about the title either. Can a mod change it? It's difficult to avoid being reoffended when the title pops up every time someone posts to the thread.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Any forum that allows a thread title such as this to stand is not one I wish to frequent. It's been pissing me off mightily every time I see it, so I'm out of here.

We're actively moderating this thread at the moment. Give us a bit of time, please? Or use the report button or PM Sage or me, you know?

But basically, this thread is DONE.

If the OP would like to start a new thread asking the same question without using the term, please feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.