Revisions - doing holly Lisle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to recommendations here, I 'm going Holly! I figured I didn't know enough about revisions, dont want to do fifty versions, so...WTH.

Doing the class, starting with lesson #1.
At least now I have some structure to my process!

Binder: Check
worksheets: Check
Pen: Check
Grammies: check

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Hurray! You're acting, which is the most important thing.

Just a quick note of warning - Holly's process wasn't for me, at least not in its entirety. (I went through the HTRYN course.) I took snippets from it, and modified into my own system, which relies heavily on beta swaps.

So don't be afraid to take what you learn and make it your own. Of course, you can completely disregard this if you find that her system works well for you. :)

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that! I have betas lined up,but I got tired of tweaking things, not really knowing what I was doing, andn I have a few scenes that I don't like (it's a plot problem) but haven't figured out how to fix. I don't have a solid process so am grateful for one but I am NOT a color in the lines sort of girl, so I also plan to take what I like and leave the rest!

I DO NOT want to be fiddle farting around with it a year from now, twenty versions later. I like the book, I want to fix it and have it be the best I can make it (at that point) then move on. This is NOT my life work (I keep telling myself!)

Last edited:

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I also found I couldn't go whole hog Holly Lisle, but I got an awful lot out of her editing articles nonetheless. Especially the bit about "if you find a great plot twist, or a new character, write it all down and put it in the next one, because you have to finish this book, not fiddle faddle around with it forever." (to loosely paraphrase, of course.)

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Just checking in to say that I am finding Holly and the class a TON of work but fantastic.

i will say that I am NOT a writer of fiction (before this) so I have no experience, no MFA, no nothing. I just wrote (what I thought was) a story.

I am find the course extremely helpful as there is a lot to learn! not sure this novel will make it through, but it might.

I would recmmend it to people particularly those who, like me, did not have any background or experience to know what might work or not. And i'd be tinkering forever without really knowing what to tinker with!

Fitch

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that! I have betas lined up,but I got tired of tweaking things, not really knowing what I was doing, andn I have a few scenes that I don't like (it's a plot problem) but haven't figured out how to fix. I don't have a solid process so am grateful for one but I am NOT a color in the lines sort of girl, so I also plan to take what I like and leave the rest!

I DO NOT want to be fiddle farting around with it a year from now, twenty versions later. I like the book, I want to fix it and have it be the best I can make it (at that point) then move on. This is NOT my life work (I keep telling myself!)

I'll be interested to hear how it goes. My reward to myself, eight chapters from now when the first draft is done, is to take that course. My reasons for taking it are identical to yours.

Fitch

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
Is this an actual workshop that Holly does or are you referring to the article on the one-pass revision here:

http://hollylisle.com/one-pass-manuscript-revision-from-first-draft-to-last-in-one-cycle/

I'm just wondering because people keep referring to the workshop. I've seen the article but not an actual workshop where you sign up and have a support forum, etc. (which is kind of what I think about when I think about an online workshop :)).

I'm working on revising a novel now and I'm using a lot of Holly's suggestions but I find it's way too overwhelming for me to do all of them at once, as she suggests in Step 2. So I basically took the ones that make sense to me and made a revision plan where I separate each one according to revisions. So I'll be doing 6 or 7 revisions. I know it seems like a lot, but the later revisions are going to be less intense than the earlier ones, since I'll have all the story and character elements in place. I'd rather isolate specific revision elements for each draft I do, as I just can't focus on too many revision elements at once or I'll feel too overwhelmed and I'll miss out on a lot. But that's just me.

Djuna

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Holly has a bunch of classes, a whole lot of them. I am taking the full 22 session one because I am just not good enough to do the one pass. I don't knwo what I am looking for, I don't how to really fix what doens't work and I don' want to be doing it forever (nor do I want to give up). So yes, I am doing the full deal because of that, and I am very pleased. It' self paced, go at your own speed.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I second what Cathleen says. Having a roadmap is a wonderful thing, even if you decide to go cross-country now and again. I've taken bits and pieces from all sorts of sources and made my own roadmap, but I had to hammer through other peoples systems first and I'm very grateful to them for putting them out there.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
If it hasn't already been said...

Once you set out on a path for revising, whether it's your own path or someone else's, always make room for adding/subtracting what works for you. If you struggle to keep to the path, it ain't the path for you. Allow for detours, side trails, shortcuts. I never thought much for people who put forth a plan and say 'this is the answer!'

But I do like people who say, 'Try this; see if it works for you.' Be open to modifications, is all I'm trying to say. Make the shoe fit you; don't bend and twist yourself to fit inside the shoe. Writing - and revising - is never a one-size-fits-all process.

Fitch

Registered
Reaction score
If it hasn't already been said...

Once you set out on a path for revising, whether it's your own path or someone else's, always make room for adding/subtracting what works for you. If you struggle to keep to the path, it ain't the path for you. Allow for detours, side trails, shortcuts. I never thought much for people who put forth a plan and say 'this is the answer!'

But I do like people who say, 'Try this; see if it works for you.' Be open to modifications, is all I'm trying to say. Make the shoe fit you; don't bend and twist yourself to fit inside the shoe. Writing - and revising - is never a one-size-fits-all process.

When one signs up for a $300.00 class because they don't have a system to do review, don't know what to look for, and want to learn, the best thing is to follow through on the class. Struggle through it, including the hard parts, or the parts that initially feel wrong. The learning is in the struggle. Learn what the class has to offer. Then, with that knowledge and experience, make changes that tailor the process to the individual.

Fitch

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I can totally appreciate that people develop their own revising strategies based on their experience and what they know works for them. I am brand new though, so I don't have any experience from which to draw! ;) i'd be line editing and fiddling around with whether sentences sound good or not when there are much larger problems!! So, I am definitely going through the course as designed and I am finding it fantastic!! It is definitely one way of revising, figuring out what works and what does not, and what you want your work to be. Totally self paced and yes, one can take what works and leave the rest (but I'm taking it all!!:D ) Again, this is from a newbie!!

Last edited:

Fitch

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I can totally appreciate that people develop their own revising strategies based on their experience and what they know works for them. I am brand new though, so I don't have any experience from which to draw! ;) i'd be line editing and fiddling around with whether sentences sound good or not when there are much larger problems!! So, I am definitely going through the course as designed and I am finding it fantastic!! It is definitely one way of revising, figuring out what works and what does not, and what you want your work to be. Totally self paced and yes, one can take what works and leave the rest (but I'm taking it all!!:D ) Again, this is from a newbie!!

Right on.

I'm eight chapters from enrolling in the same class.

Fitch

inthewritemind

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to the whole revising process and I'd never come across this process before. It's really interesting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

It sounds like you're doing wonderfully. I think taking a class of any kind means you do exactly what that class demands, when it demands it. This is the best way to learn. trying to do things differently while in teh class will just confuse you, and knock you off course.

You can make changes, decide what works for you, after the class ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.