Favorite lines you've written

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
After all the drama and tension and angst of the last few scenes (well, it IS the climax) I thought I'd insert a scene for a little light relief:

If she’d thought Lady Nitemhe rather plump, she was nothing compared to Lady Towosret. Beneath an even more absurdly elaborate wig, her face was round and soft as a ball of dough that sagged into two enormous jowls, and Kiya could barely tell where one chin ended and another began. Her short, fleshy neck had disappeared altogether beneath an enormous collar necklace. She was obviously in need of a new ladies maid as well, because a good one really should have advised her against that fashionably thin dress. No one wanted to see those undulating rolls of fat, or the vast valley between her breasts. Kiya tried not to betray her disgust, but the hot, oppressive mass of her didn’t so much fill the space as overflow it, almost pushing her off the bench.

On the other hand... although she and Djehuty might not be on the best of terms at present, she still welcomed the opportunity to ingratiate herself with someone in a position to advance his career.

“I wonder what the delay is?” she said to no one in particular. “I’m impatient to see my husband leading the honour guard for the first time this year. He looked so stunning in his parade uniform this morning.”

The Tjaty’s wife turned to her and smiled. Her teeth and lips were stained purple, and all the cinnamon in Punt couldn’t mask the sour odour of wine on her breath. “Yes, he’s a very attractive man, your husband,” she said with a decidedly lewd glint in her eye, the lecherous old lush. It quite turned Kiya’s stomach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
Wait. Is Djehuty sneaking around behind Kiya's back? Is this an "it's arranged and they don't love each other" marriage?

Yes to the latter, but he's not exactly sneaking. Kiya knows all about his thing with Hebeny - she's one of his harem :D

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Yes to the latter, but he's not exactly sneaking. Kiya knows all about his thing with Hebeny - she's one of his harem :D
Is Kiya a villain? I feel like you mentioned some sort of evil plot before.

When I read your excerpt, at first I though it was Hebeny's POV. And I thought "wow, when did Hebeny become such a judgmental prick?"

#DjehutyHebeny4evah

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
Is Kiya a villain? I feel like you mentioned some sort of evil plot before.

Secondary antag. She has a role to play in the villainy, but she's not the main threat.

When I read your excerpt, at first I though it was Hebeny's POV. And I thought "wow, when did Hebeny become such a judgmental prick?"

hehe, yeah, I'd hope you didn't confuse Hebs with Kiya, or I've done something wrong ;)

#DjehutyHebeny4evah

Aww. That gives me a happy :Hug2:

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Editing, and this one caught my eye.
He kissed me again, fervently. The chain would break tomorrow, and I’d be free of him. But tonight—

One more fuck and I’d exorcise this demon inside me. One more fuck and I could forget the shape of his lips. I caught him by the shirt and dragged him backward into the bedroom. Salem laughed as I pinned him against the wall as best I could. “I want you,” I whispered.

“I am covered in blood.”

“Let there be blood between us. I'll have you however you are.”
See, it's a metaphor. Because they're enemies... so... there's bad blood between them... and also Salem is literally covered in blood, so... Guh. I dunno. I like it, though.

Last edited:

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
Editing, and this one caught my eye.
He kissed me again, fervently. The chain would break tomorrow, and I’d be free of him. But tonight—

One more fuck and I’d exorcise this demon inside me. One more fuck and I could forget the shape of his lips. I caught him by the shirt and dragged him backward into the bedroom. Salem laughed as I pinned him against the wall as best I could. “I want you,” I whispered.

“I am covered in blood.”

“Let there be blood between us. I'll have you however you are.”
See, it's a metaphor. Because they're enemies... so... there's bad blood between them... and also Salem is literally covered in blood, so... Guh. I dunno. I like it, though.

I like it too :)

Your explanation of the last line put a different wording in my head though. Would something like 'There's already enough blood between us. What's a little more?' work? :D

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
I like it too :)

Your explanation of the last line put a different wording in my head though. Would something like 'There's already enough blood between us. What's a little more?' work? :D
Hm! I'll consider it. Dane is not particularly sauve or poetic, so I'm still figuring out the perfect line for that moment.
Oooh. I quite like this. Literal, and figurative parallel to "let there be light".
Aw. You're kind.
But is Salem covered in bad blood?
No, it's human blood.

Oh. Hm. Maybe, then. :D

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
After all the drama and tension and angst of the last few scenes (well, it IS the climax) I thought I'd insert a scene for a little light relief:

Djehuty leads a complicated life...

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

I like it, too, and can't help wondering how many more times she's going to say, "One more..."

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Secondary antag. She has a role to play in the villainy, but she's not the main threat.

hehe, yeah, I'd hope you didn't confuse Hebs with Kiya, or I've done something wrong ;)

Nope. Very different character-feel.

I did think it was funny that Kiya is kind of being looked down at those women she's mentally dissing. At least that's the impression I got, that they all think they're better than her, and she's making herself feel better about that by finding their appearance wanting.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
Nope. Very different character-feel.

I did think it was funny that Kiya is kind of being looked down at those women she's mentally dissing. At least that's the impression I got, that they all think they're better than her, and she's making herself feel better about that by finding their appearance wanting.

Yep, that's pretty much it. She'sthe daughter of an impoverished noble and believes she is descended from a queen (the mother of tutankhamun) so she has aspirations to climb back up the social ladder (and is using djeh to do it) but still thinks herself above them. As a character I like her and loathe her at the same time :D

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Yep, that's pretty much it. She'sthe daughter of an impoverished noble and believes she is descended from a queen (the mother of tutankhamun) so she has aspirations to climb back up the social ladder (and is using djeh to do it) but still thinks herself above them. As a character I like her and loathe her at the same time :D

Well, you musta done a helluva job of presenting her in just that short bit!!

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
Love reading everyone's lines!

Here's one of my recent ones:

She knew that saying her wishes out loud wouldn’t do anything, but sometimes she hissed them out with her eyes screwed shut, just in case she had spontaneously developed a secret power or had a fairy godmother who was finally paying attention.

kwanzaabot

Registered
Reaction score
A short story I've been playing with whenever I get writer's block on my main WIP, had this line. I wrote the paragraph months ago (and I'd completely forgotten about it), but it made me smirk:

The only evidence that anybody had actually lived there at some point during the last two centuries, were the skinned possums hanging by the window, although he'd already come to the conclusion that they were hardly fit for human consumption and had probably died as a result of some bizarre possum murder-suicide pact. It was the only explanation for why an animal that tasted like worm-infested cardboard would die from anything but natural causes.