Latin

Deleted member 42

The above is what latin texts always looked like to me. :) If anyone's curious, it's a random psuedo-latin "language" meant to fill white space in web design.

The words are all legit, it's just that the syntax and context are meaningless.

Lorum Ipsum text goes back to the days of cold type, c. late 1700s. It's sample text to allow a printer to adjust spacing and layout without having to wait for content from the writer.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Ahah. Cool. Didn't know that. I thought it was fairly recent.

You mean it has no meaning whatsoever? What's the purpose???

It has meaning. It's really latin. I just have no idea what it says, and unless you subscribe to some sort of palabramancy, the meaning of the words together has no significance.

I use it to make a newspaper look good before I've got content for it. Since the articles are usually around 600 - 800 words, I can get the layout more or less correct BEFORE the writers' deadline smacks us all in the face.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Word order does make a difference, just not a strictly syntactic one.

What would be the difference in the quotation I used? I remember it from my daughter's Latin text, where it was used to demonstrate that word order doesn't make a difference. Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything ... it's been a long time since I studied the language itself. I just love the quote ;)

Deleted member 42

What would be the difference in the quotation I used? I remember it from my daughter's Latin text, where it was used to demonstrate that word order doesn't make a difference. Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything ... it's been a long time since I studied the language itself. I just love the quote ;)

The extent to which word order makes a difference in part depends on the era . . . .and yeah, that's one of the sententiae that was used all the way back in the sixteenth century.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, let's lure Rufus in here!
Tractus sum! Adsum, postremo. Labor me morabatur.

I mean, what kind of Latin thread would it be without Rufus?
:)

Gratias tibi do!

Hey, but I think the question needs to be more complicated than that, that's too easy, Fallen, pick something better!!

Rufus, tibi clamamus: veni ut cum nobis consortium in eo foro teneas!
Okay, nice purpose clause there & neat subjunctive!

"Rufus, we call you to come that you might keep company with us in this place!"

OK, that was really lame, so here are my questions for you Rufus: how would you translate "company" (in the sense I meant above)?
Non putavi id claudus esse! (I didn't think it to be lame.)

Societatem (acc) is a viable alternative.

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
*polishes off Latin conjugation and declension book*

Erm...

quis es? Oh...Onewriter est.

I think this is an excellent idea, hun. Now, how do you translate that? :D Rufus, you dare -- you just dare :D :D

Oh-kaaay! Togam habeo so ....

Puto haec notionem excellentissime praeclara esse!

:evil

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
*whispers* ok, hun, I'll distract him. I've got a shiny new Latin book in the corner: cover's not been touched or anything, can't fail to take distract his careful eye--

*looks sharply over shoulder*

Phew *wipes brow* thought that was him then. You stay by me, hun. It's safer in groups. *shifts closer to OneW*...

Oh bugger!

And it's all right, you're not suffering from Rufaphobia, I really was sneaking up on it.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
est -- Rufus!!!!!!!!!!!

:e2woo: :e2woo: :e2woo:

So good to have you back with us and talking Latin, hun!!!!

The brains on AW never fails to floor me.

Psst *whispers in ruf's ear* I didn't know that blank Latin text was called 'greeking', did you? Med knows her stuff...

Now, about 'puto haec...', :D

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
est -- Rufus!!!!!!!!!!!

:e2woo: :e2woo: :e2woo:

So good to have you back with us and talking Latin, hun!!!!

The brains on AW never fails to floor me.

Psst *whispers in ruf's ear* I didn't know that blank Latin text was called 'greeking', did you? Med knows her stuff...

Now, about 'puto haec...', :D

I had no idea. The first time I saw it was a month ago because my stepfather's building an internet business which is about to launch. They had lorem ipsum up and I was scanning it and becoming annoyed and then I saw the (alleged) word "adipiscing" and I thought "id excrementum est"!

It's good to be back.

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
Hey!!! Rufus' here!!! :hi:

What did I miss???

OK, hold on the Latin, I need coffee first.....

There, got my coffee. Just don't go on to the Italian forum telling them I call coffee this kind of junk. I just need it to wake up!! :D

Anyways, since we started talking about proverbiums: what's you guys' favorites in Latin?
My favorite one is up there: Ubi dudium ibi libertas. It applies nicely to everything in life and, since I'm a scientist, to work as well. I also love: Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.... That's how my kids get what they want.

I've always wondered what "Veni vidi vici" means. Any help?

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I won. Very modest little nugget from Caesar after he conquered Pontus. It was a short battle so that's how he bragged about it.

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Hey, One, mine's a mocha choca, remember!!!

Rufus, first rule AW club -- you have no life outside of AW club. Second rule of AW club, well it involves a plastic pig, pegs and an elephant...:D you ever figure it out, let me know -- in Latin, of course!

Lol, it's just good to see posting back on here, hun. I know our One's missed you too. ;) Oh, and my kid got that tattoo :D

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
What tattoo? Pig, pegs and elephants? Whoa, lady, you're going too fast....
*** gulps down rest of coffee ***

Hey, no fair, you've been up longer than me... And I haven't had my morning walk yet, so technically I'm still half asleep.... Oooh, but me loves mocha.... can't have it at home, though.... sigh....

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
*peeks in*

Plastic pig? Pegs? Elephant? And Rufus has appeared?

Carry on. :D

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
*Waves SaraP over* Coffee, hun? :D

Tatoo.... my eldest kid, One, he wanted the Latin equivalent of 'one life, live it'. Ruf helped me out!!!!

And I really need to sleep of a night. I'm seeing plastic pigs (ah, which are three wheeled cars over here, btw;)) pegs and elephants...

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
So... my name as an object in a Latin sentence would be Bartholomem? Or Bartholomewem? I kind of like Bartholomem better.

(I'm assuming the accusative case is at least similar to the object of an English sentence.)

Last edited: