Ireland calling.

Nugus

Registered
Reaction score
As I've been looking around aw I've noticed that there's more people from Ireland. I'd love to know if we're neighbours. I'm living in Swinford County Mayo. Anybody else nearby?

Nugus

Registered
Reaction score
Well, hello. I'll give you a wave the next time I'm in KFC.

skunkthecat

Registered
Reaction score
Smack bang in the middle in Co. Laois. Is there a big Irish contingent on the board?? *blissfully unaware*

mrsvalkyrie

Hounds of Justice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
realmoffear.wordpress.com
Excuse me for interrupting... I'm from America, but I only pray some day I'll get the courage to get on a plane and travel to beautiful Ireland. Perhaps get together with some fellow writers while I'm over there!

Nugus

Registered
Reaction score
After a few pints of porter or perhaps a Jameson or two then the words flow better.

talking to myself

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Excuse me for intruding on your intrusion!

I went to Ireland last year (Galway Arts Fest). It was magical. I had the time of my life. I'm a wannabe Irish woman. Honestly, I'd move there if I could.

The talent that comes out of that small island is astonishing. Evidenced by Cillian Murphy's recent Drama Desk award for his otherworldly performance in Misterman (which I saw in Galway) and the, what?, 7 or 8 Tony's ONCE took last night.

I think it's magic. I think there actually is leprechaun magic and the lucky few who are Eire-born have it running in their veins.

Up Ireland!!!

mrsvalkyrie

Hounds of Justice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Agreed, Nugus!

talking to myself-- I'm jealous! ;) I do intend to move there some day. I've got quite a bit of Irish blood in me and sometimes I feel that I was born in the wrong country. No offense to America, of course!

talking to myself

Registered
Reaction score
Ms V -

That's exactly how I feel only didn't say it cuz it sounds... well, the Irish laugh about all these Americans who claim Irish blood... at least that's what I've heard from cab drivers (because I asked them!).

But yes, it just feels right to me that I should live over there. And when I was there I felt like I'd just gotten home after a lifetime of being away.

I wish us both luck, then!

mrsvalkyrie

Hounds of Justice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Same to you, talking to myself! (Wow, that sounds weird when I write it like that, lol.)

I'll never claim to be full-blooded Irish -- not with the German and Italian and whatever else getting in the way, but there's some there, lol. I'm a mixed breed. But I will say that I am most proud of the Irish. :)

Sorry, Irish gents (and including the females if there are any). Leaving you to get back to your original conversation now. :D

talking to myself

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ms V -

Wanted to tell you that, although I'd flown before, it terrified me too. I hated it. But after 2 trips to Ireland in the space of a few months, I don't even think about it any more. Really, if you fly over an ocean once, you'll do it again, I think, by virtue of having survived the first time!

And if you don't shop while you're over there, it's surprisingly affordable. Fm NYC, the flight in only $800. Although there've been some shake-ups w/airlines over there so it can be difficult going anywhere other than Dublin. (Course that's only my [limited] experience talking. Also, I'm referring to Rep of Ire -- not N. Ireland.) Bus travel may be necessary or Cork. I flew into tiny Galway airport last year but this year the same flight is not available. (I had to cancel my reservations this year cuz I've been out of work since Dec.)

Last edited:

Mud

Erm...what was the question?
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, Bantry West Cork. On a clear day you can see the end of your nose.

Nugus

Registered
Reaction score
I was in Macroom, Co Cork for a conference once. It's a nice part of the country. The Cork accent is like a song.

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. :)
I imagine the city was very busy for the Queen. I missed it-a wedding in England-but I heard it all went well.
It's a strange bit of the country-accent changes per mile (and per person's desire to be a 'sham').
I lived in Dublin for a year too. Well, I lived in Carlow and got the train to Dublin for work.

One of my college mates came from Mayo. It's a lovely part of the country. Very nice except for the roads. The roads could do with a bit of love but I expect they'd be ruined again next Winter.

Neriah

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for bumping, but great to see some fellow Irish on the forum. I'm from Cork City :D

vitani

The Tobermory Hamster
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this to say hello from Dublin.

BarredOwl

who-cooks-for-youuuu
Registered
Reaction score
Not Irish, but wanted to say I love your country and your people. :) Spent a month there for our honeymoon 10 years ago. Just rented a car and took off with no plan. One of the best experiences of our lives, made mostly by the residents.