Thoughts on voice in 3rd person vs 1st person POV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of right now that first person can do that third can't is address the reader directly as 'you'.
A third person POV character or external narrator can break the fourth wall. It all depends on the book, and how the author handles it. But, yeah, it's not a device used often, or at least not nowadays.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
A third person POV character or external narrator can break the fourth wall. It all depends on the book, and how the author handles it. But, yeah, it's not a device used often, or at least not nowadays.

I've run across omni narrators who do it in third person (Tolkien does it in the Hobbit, and Lewis does it frequently in his Narnia books), but it obviously wouldn't really work in a more limited third. But limited third, at least the tighter or deeper variety thereof, more closely resembles a tighter or closer first person than it does the "third wall breaking" style.

FatesPast

Registered
Reaction score
My current WIP alternates between 1st and 3rd person POV, so I feel your pain.

If you are looking for a recent book with subtle differences in the 3rd person perspectives utilized between characters, I'd check out Stephen King's MR. MERCEDES.

Last edited:

Alli B.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a newer writer, so I'm not sure how much my input will matter.

I agree. My voice is so much stronger in first person than in third. I could write a scene in first person, change it to a scene in third, and lose every inch of voice I had. Much like you, I have 5 POVs, so I can't use first person without it getting confusing. People can tell you that you're wrong, that each can be equally strong. And while I admire them for having the duality, the truth is writing is art. Sure an artist that does landscapes might be able to do portraits; that doesn't mean they do them as well.

I'm very unsure if I'll try to write in first person by the end of my book. I'm about 60k words into it, and while I enjoy the story, I know its potential. It just isn't there yet.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
My current WIP alternates between 1st and 3rd person POV, so I feel your pain.

If you are looking for a recent book with subtle differences in the 3rd person perspectives utilized between characters, I'd check out Stephen King's MR. MERCEDES.

Add Doctor Sleep to that list as well. 3 pov's. A thirty something year old man, a 12 year old girl, and like a centuries old female demon/witch/ghost/whatever she is. And every pov is about as close to first person as you can get. Reading books like that really helped me understand how to use 3rd person.

SwallowFeather

Oops I just swallowed a feather
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody, and sorry. I dropped off the face of the earth for a few days & then didn't realize my thread had kept on going here. Thank you for the book suggestions and other advice.

Compare: I ain't gonna lie to you. I swore I'd never lie to no one. "I hate that woman," I shouted. "I truly do."
to: She wasn't gonna lie. She'd sworn she'd never lied to no one. "I hate that woman," she shouted. "I truly do."

But see, I'm really talking about the question of lying to the reader, not to someone else.

So more like this:

He put his hand on me, and well, so help me I try not to lie anymore so I'll tell you the truth: it felt good. Really good.

I don't see how you'd put that into third person. Other examples (of a similar dynamic though not exactly the same thing):

"I never told her that," I said. I try not to lie. I really do. (Could go into third but I think it loses something... the irony of the narrator personally admitting she's a liar while not really admitting it maybe?)

"Wait till your mother sees that," said Lucy.
Lucy is a fun person most of the time, I swear.

The good news on my end is that I've gotten into the writing now and I feel pretty good about the three of my POVs I've written scenes in so far. I also remembered rough drafts don't have to be perfect! So I'll continue to build up the voice as I go, I think.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

It's also possible to use a rhetorical "you" in third person limited narratives that aren't breaking the fourth wall at all, simply a reflection of the way your pov character thinks, using "you" instead of "one" or "a guy/gal" in rhetorical situations.

She always said the kinds of things that make you just want to sink through the floor.

I think there was a thread about this a while ago re a Stephen King book that did this or something, but plenty of other authors do.

slingerland

Absolute newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Just being a cheerleader, but Bram Stoker's Dracula uses multiple first person POV.

Axiomae

Registered
Reaction score
I just read this book, Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of View, and found it to be very helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PUMQ1O/?tag=absowrit-20

It's a short, easy read and shows multiple examples of how to really get the most of out 3rd person limited in terms of feeling close to the character.

I just wanted to say thank you!!!

I purchased this last night after reading this thread and it has been SO helpful! It is what my WIP is lacking. It is everything I am trying to do but not doing - all explained so succinctly. So, thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.