First draft to edit ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Also, I'm a "pantser" (never heard that word before coming here!)

I hate the word "panster". I have no doubt it was coined by some writer who uses outlines. It does not accurately describe what I do. I don't write by the seat of my pants, I don't write whatever comes to mind, and I don't write without structure.

Those who truly write like this are those who almost always get stuck at roughly one hundred pages, 25,000 words.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
JAR, don't get caught in the 'your process must not work because it doesn't work for me' trap. Or even worse, 'your process does not really exist because I don't believe in it.'

Lets just say everyone is special, and leave it at that ;)

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
Those who truly write like this are those who almost always get stuck at roughly one hundred pages, 25,000 words.

Every writer has their own method but there are as many ways to write as there are writers. Some pants, some plan every detail and most are some place in between. There is nothing wrong with any method as long as the writer themselves is comfortable.

I have a 92,000 word completed YA epic fantasy novel that says it is possible to be a true "pantser" or discovery writer. Agents are interested enough to ask for something else less original when I finish it. Which considering I wrote the novel by accident is a fair achievement. There is also a current story a YA fantasy in its second rewrite that should this time come out about 70,000 words.. A wrinkly Urban fantasy currently at 55,000 but should easily double on the next draft and a YA murder mystery that should finish about 75,000. My stories often begin with a vague premise. The murder mystery started with a name that just needed a story and I combined it with the question "What would Miss Marple have been like as a young woman?"

I've also written a full sit-com which is in its third draft. My first couple of scripts caught the interest of a producer from a well known TV network and I'm now getting help from them to write this. It may never get made (although a short monologue has just been filmed) but it's not in a slush pile either.

For six years work part time I'm content with where I am at and ultimately if a writer enjoys what they are doing does it matter? I'm not sneering at you for your methods there is no need to do it others.

Last edited:

davidwestergaard

Registered
Reaction score
Really depends.

I rewrote over 100,000 words from my first draft of my last novel. I write a first draft then edit until I'm happy with it, however long that takes.

Axiomae

Registered
Reaction score
It's really interesting to read about everyone's process. I'm only 25K words into my first novel and still working out my process. I began it with only a vague idea a few years ago and then got stuck because I didn't know the story. Then I spent some time thinking up a proper ending, doing an outline etc and I'm finding it is flowing a lot better. Will still have to go back and fix up the first few chapters and tweak a lot of things, but I'm happy with my progress considering this is the first time I've tried writing a novel!

I am a very slow writer though - I do tend to reread and edit as i go. But that's just me. Hopefully I will get quicker at it the more I do. I do like to feel happy with what's on the page, even if I will have to go back and change plot / character etc. Makes me feel like a real writer when I can read through and nod along and be content with my words. I don't think I could ever be someone to leave gaps or spelling mistakes in and keep going!

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
I hate the word "panster". I have no doubt it was coined by some writer who uses outlines. It does not accurately describe what I do. I don't write by the seat of my pants, I don't write whatever comes to mind, and I don't write without structure.

I think I'm kind of between the two, myself. Similar to you from the sound of it (although you and I have already established I do drafts and you don't).

I let the story go where it ends up going as my ideas about it change, but I also have a structure and an idea where I want it to go.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
From what I've gleaned from his afterwards and interviews and such, Dean Koontz wrote his first 50 books as an 'outliner', and starting with Strangers became a 'pantser', coincidentally entering his 'the second Stephen King' phase in term of sales and popularity, which lasts to this day.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I'm a plotter, using a modified Snowflake method. I go back and make edits during the first draft, but usually push through, chapter by chapter. That process takes me two-three months.

First draft done, put it away. Come back later.

Read through with fresh eyes, probably change every single sentence at least a little. Move things around, change problems, add to scenes, etc.

Go through search for things like too many adverbs, run-on sentences, 'suddenly', 'somehow', etc.

This usually takes me about two weeks.

Then - to my alpha readers and wait, twiddling my thumbs.

Another round of edits after that (maybe two days?) and off to beta

Final edits, and off to publisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.