Issues With Getting It Right When Writing About A Certain Faction of Society...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
I'll have to come back to respond in more detail, because I'm on my phone right now, but I just wanted to say: KTC, having gotten to know you on this forum for a few years now, I'm entirely confident that you'll do a good job. The fact that you truly care is worth far more than writing something perfectly inoffensive. You'll always offend some people. Your heart and mind are in the right place, and that's what matters most.

Err... Don't ask about costumes. The only time Natives wear costumes is Halloween. Maybe you meant regalia or traditional clothing?

I have diabetes: my eyes go in and out. I've been typing by feel and hoping spell-check catches the fuck-ups. That was 'spose to be customs.

Jesus.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Err... Don't ask about costumes. The only time Natives wear costumes is Halloween. Maybe you meant regalia or traditional clothing?

Is that really a problem? We talk about our Norwegian traditional costumes all the time in genealogy groups, interchangeably with traditional dress. (Not trying to be snarky, just honestly hadn't considered the word could be a negative.)

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
Hey KTC--

It's great that you write about diverse characters in the first place and you obviously care about how people will take those characters. But I think you're overthinking it. No matter how much research or talking to a Sikh person or a First Nations person you do, another Sikh person may not recognize themselves in your portrayal. And that's fine. As long as your characters ring true in the world of your story and you don't rely on stereotypes or the easy pickings, you'll be trying to get it right.

For example, I've read stories taking place in New York and I think, "Umm...not the city I grew up in." Or I've read a couple of half-Asian/half-white characters (and even some bits and pieces of non-fiction by biracial people) that haven't been my views or experience of growing up biracial, but I guess they are what the author or the person either imagined or experienced.

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
It may be impossible to write anything without offending someone. Somebody, somewhere, will be offended by virtually anything you say or do or think or believe or feel.

I think as long as you're not using a condescending tone in your author's voice, or making it obvious you're trying to put some group down, then you're okay. If your heart is in the right place, I think you're fine.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
We need more diverse characters, more diverse books, and when writers first venture into that territory, they will inevitably get some things wrong. If we're too hard on those writers (including ourselves as writers), we drive them away, and that would be a shame. Baby steps.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I have diabetes: my eyes go in and out. I've been typing by feel and hoping spell-check catches the fuck-ups. That was 'spose to be customs.

Ah. Gotcha. Sorry about that.

Is that really a problem? We talk about our Norwegian traditional costumes all the time in genealogy groups, interchangeably with traditional dress. (Not trying to be snarky, just honestly hadn't considered the word could be a negative.)

In the US, at least, where the word "costume" is generally associated with Halloween, yes. The strong association with offensive Halloween costumes is probably a big part of it. Here, "costume" implies "dressing up as something you are not", which is not the case with regalia and traditional clothing. "Costume" carries connotations of being a fake version of something else. It is an assumed identity rather than a true identity.

In places where "costume" has dramatically different connotations, I can understand why it might not be an issue.

To compare, I doubt Muslims would refer to a hijab as a "costume".

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
In the US, at least, where the word "costume" is generally associated with Halloween, yes. The strong association with offensive Halloween costumes is probably a big part of it. Here, "costume" implies "dressing up as something you are not", which is not the case with regalia and traditional clothing.

And there's the thing - the US it may mean that for many and valid and varied reasons

But the US is not the world.

Here -- well it CAN mean that (fancy dress costume -- we tend to a lot less tbh, and when we do it's generally tarts and vicars...) but also other things -- a style of dress (maybe historical for say re-enactors, maybe not -- it could just as easily refer to traditional dress or what you're wearing on a night out)

I can't say anyone thinks of it as a bad thing. (With exceptions ofc.) That I am aware of anyway. I have not see anyone over this way say the word is problematic, only Stateside

But can we actually tailor our language so it fits everyone? One size fits all?

I'm starting to wonder. Obviously I wouldn't offend if I could avoid it, but a word such as costume isn't even going to ring a single bell in my head. Probably not for anyone I know (and they ain't all white by a long shot. It just does not mean the same here) Maybe it should bother me, maybe I should ask around...but then maybe I'll get lot of people asking me if I need to take my meds again

So...then what do I do?

Last edited:

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
This is what surprised me about it. Not only in genealogy, but in sociology programs and travel programs, regardless of location, they readily interchange "traditional costume" with "traditional dress" and even "ceremonial costume" when referring to anything other than every day clothing. I understood it to be just normal useage. (And I live in the US, also)

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
But the US is not the world.
I have not see anyone over this way say the word is problematic, only Stateside?

Native Americans mostly live in the US, and we are still only about 1% of the US population.

Our presence in the rest of the world is a rounding error.

There are enough Americans who assume we are extinct, so I don't doubt it's something many people in the rest of the world wouldn't bother worrying about.

This is what surprised me about it. Not only in genealogy, but in sociology programs and travel programs, regardless of location, they readily interchange "traditional costume" with "traditional dress" and even "ceremonial costume" when referring to anything other than every day clothing. I understood it to be just normal useage. (And I live in the US, also)

I wouldn't call a Muslim hijab a costume.

I wouldn't call a Indian sari a costume.

I wouldn't call a Japanese kimono a costume.

I wouldn't call a Scottish or Irish kilt a costume.

So why would traditional Native American dress be a costume?

Maybe other cultures aren't bothered by it when their traditional and ceremonial dress are considered costumes, and that's fine for them, but it is offensive and disrespectful to us.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
You may not

Many other people do

So, er who do I listen to? Them? The majority in my world? Or you?

Help me here. You or the people who will more likely read my book and not care because it does not involve Native Americans?

What words that innocuous here can I not use in a book that will never come out in the US?

IS there one size fits all?

I don't want to offend. Ever (eta except I could live with offending farrage and his ilk). But some words I need to use. Costume os a word as innocuous as milk, bread, worms here. Words that have no connotation here afaik and I have asked. A lot. . So I gotta draw the line somewhere dude, and I like you and respect what you are saying

But where you are and I are are different worlds. We use different (non offensive where we are) words to describe them. THose words that are non offensive may well be different

I hope you do not have a problem with that

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
You or the people who will more likely read my book and not care because it does not involve Native Americans?

Huh? If it doesn't concern Native Americans, then I don't understand your concern?

I was talking about Native Americans.

Edit: Though while I'm thinking of it... Say, for example, you walked up to a soldier in uniform, or a police officer, or a priest, or a rabbi, and you said "I like your costume". You don't think they'd be a bit offended bit that?

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Uh, no you included a lot of people who are not NA in your costume analogy

And nice cherry picking a quote and not bothering wit the rest

Look, I get where you are coming from, I get that you are *calms it down * peeved at certain things

But the US is not the world

Words mean other things in other places. Just because in the US they are bad does not mean the rest of the world cannot use
them

Faggot - in the UK this means a certain type meatball. Fag - a cigarette. Bum - scronge, ask for, ponce. Can I bum a fag? Can I scrounge a ciggie?

Should we all write in US English? Does every writer need to be aware of every US connotation of a word in the us, even if they are writing for another audience?

While I am aware this is not where you are going, it IS where it leads me. Costume is bad in the US. Ok. That does not mean it is off limits elsewhere

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, no you included a lot of people who are not NA in your costume analogy

Yes, based on my impression, and my interpretation of the word, I would not call them costumes. I don't know if it's offensive to them or not. I can't speak for them.

Edit: I also said earlier: "In places where 'costume' has dramatically different connotations, I can understand why it might not be an issue."

And nice cherry picking a quote and not bothering wit the rest

It seemed to boil down to that question, and answering that one seemed answer the rest.

Look, I get where you are coming from, I get that you are *calms it down * peeved at certain things

I'm just saying our traditional clothing are not costumes. That is the grand totality of what I am saying.

But the US is not the world

I never said it was. But the original comment to which I replied was about Native Americans, so I answered from a Native American perspective.

Words mean other things in other places. Just because in the US they are bad does not mean the rest of the world cannot use them.

I wouldn't say it's a bad word.

It's just a word that doesn't happen to apply to our traditional clothing and regalia.

Edit: A blog post on "The word 'costume' and American Indians".

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Yes, based on my impression, and my interpretation of the word, I would not call them costumes. I don't know if it's offensive to them or not. I can't speak for them.
neither can I but you managed to try it with you list

It seemed to boil down to that question, and answering that one seemed answer the rest.

Um, no.

I'm just saying our traditional clothing are not costumes. That is the grand totality of what I am saying.

And I have no problem with that. Only the equating it to every other culture. All culture are not equivalent. You equated to otter cultures with your list. The are not you, you are not them You may share stuff (sadly racism) but you are not them. Like I am not you

We are all different. And that there is the trouble, and the salvation

(Monty Python: I'm not)

I wouldn't say it's a bad word.

It's just a word that doesn't happen to apply to our traditional clothing and regalia.

Then I will not do so. But you have assumed a lot about other people in your list

And also about people who use a word you do not like

I respect you, Kuwi, I do. But there is a whole world out here, who use words differently, where costume is not offensive.

I cannot write my books for the whole world. I can do my best, but I cannot do that.

Last edited:

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't call a Scottish or Irish kilt a costume.

Why not? It certainly wouldn't be offensive. It's part of the national or folk costume. You're choosing to do that based on your culture not to save anyone's feelings.

A sari or a hijab are different because they are still every day dress. A kilt isn't. I only see them in the street for special occasions. Kimono tends to occupy a similar status to the kilt but not always so not quite sure which side of that I would put it.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
neither can I but you managed to try it with you list

I said what I would not call them.

Then I misunderstood the point of your questions.

And I have no problem with that. Only the equating it to every other culture. All culture are not equivalent.

I never said they were.

Then I will not do so. But you have assumed a lot about other people in your list

My understanding of the connotation of "costume" is "dressing up as something you are not", or "a mimicry of clothing worn by someone else".

I assume a woman wearing a sari or a hijab is not wearing them as a form of mimicry or play-acting. Is that assuming too much?

And also about people who use a word you do not like

Once again, I didn't say I didn't like the word itself.

I respect you, Kuwi, I do. But there is a whole world out here, who use words differently, where costume is not offensive.

Uh, I never said the word "costume" itself is offensive. I said it is not applicable to our traditional clothing due to its connotations.

I cannot write my books for the whole world. I can do my best, but I cannot do that.

Umm... Okay?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Why not? It certainly wouldn't be offensive. It's part of the national or folk costume. You're choosing to do that based on your culture not to save anyone's feelings.

A sari or a hijab are different because they are still every day dress. A kilt isn't. I only see them in the street for special occasions.

Okay. Then obviously the word means something different over there than it does here.

Context is important. I am saying I wouldn't call them a costume based on the connotations of the word "costume" where I live. Like I said earlier, if it means something different over there, then okay, cool.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Umm... Okay?

You think you can? I await with anticipation

dude, I do not want to argue with you. Really. Where you are and I are are different places that use different words, and do not like different words. That was my only point. The US is not the Uk is not...

That and I cannot write a book for the whole world. I'm not sure how that is noteworthy. It should be self evident. No book has ever been for the whole world. It shouldn't be a shock or anything
Okay. Then obviously the word means something different over there than it does here.

I am so pleased you need corroborating evidence as to how thing are to where I actually live

I feel validated

PS where the fuck is that Brit alert emoticon?

ETA Fine, I cannot find it. I am being so sarcastic your knicker elastic just broke. Will that do? It serves the same purpose as that emoticon

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
You think you can? I await with anticipation

Huh?

dude, I do not want to argue with you. Really. Where you are and I are are different places that use different words, and do not like different words. That was my only point. The US is not the Uk is not...

I don't want to argue with you either. I never said the US was the UK.

I said the word "costumes" is problematic in direct response to a comment about Native American "costumes".

(This was later shown to be a typo for "customs", but that's beside the point right now.)

Shadowwalker asked me why it was problematic, and I explained why it is problematic from my perspective, which is as a Native American in the US. I openly acknowledged that this was based on connotations in the US, and those connotations might be different in other places around the world.

I further tried to support this by describing how I personally would not call other traditional clothing "costumes" still based on those same connotations of the word "costume" and no others, with hopes that this might elucidate why it is offensive, from that perspective.

"Costume" is not the word for an Irish kilt, for example, where I am, from my understanding of the word "costume". If I were in Ireland, maybe that's what they would call traditional dress, and I would have to adapt to that local usage and culture. But that's not what I was talking about.

All of this was to explain my original comment of why "costume" is the wrong word to describe traditional Native American clothing. And if you are writing a novel with Native Americans, I would expect (hope) that Native Americans are part of the intended audience. Therefore, I think ours would be the proper perspective from which to approach the issue in that case.

That and I cannot write a book for the whole world. I'm not sure how that is noteworthy. It should be self evident. No book has ever been for the whole world. It shouldn't be a shock or anything

I never asked you to do that. I don't understand why you think I did.

I feel like this whole disagreement is one big weird misunderstanding, and I'm utterly confused why you think I'm saying things that I don't think I said.

Last edited:

Usher

Registered
Reaction score

Context is important. I am saying I wouldn't call them a costume based on the connotations of the word "costume" where I live. Like I said earlier, if it means something different over there, then okay, cool.

Kind of like when my husband told me he was in vest, pants and suspenders and I thought he was in drag. Language varies.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I further tried to support this by describing how I personally w

This is absolutely NOT how it came across to me

There was a lot of other stuff too (which given as it is 2am I might leave till tomorrow)

But not how it came across at all to me and I will grant I am not Mrs Normal

See in the (my) am

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
I once wrote a scene involving a female's reaction on coming across a car accident. One reader (perfect stranger, btw) stated unequivocally that a woman would not react that way. I explained that it was a scene taken from real life - mine - and I (female) had indeed reacted just that way. She refused to back down.

Write your character the way that character is. What more can you do?

This is why I try to avoid telling the truth when I'm writing. People never believe you.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
re: meaning of 'costume' in the US.

Even that is over-reaching, I think. Where I come from, costume is not restricted to dressing as something you aren't, or Halloween. We have a lot of festivals around here, celebrating various heritage groups (Norwegians, Greeks, Italians, Irish, NA, etc etc). I have never heard anyone not refer to traditional "costumes". Now, 'regalia' typically does have a different connotation - as in 'overdone' or 'exaggerated'. But that's around here, so I would not tell someone it's seen that way "in the US". The US is a pretty big place, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.