Chapter style - POV vs Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

slingerland

Absolute newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning! I've had to take a break from one of my projects, and now I'm coming back to it. I have a question that has no right or wrong answer, but I'd like to get some opinions, please.

Background: the WIP is a mystery suspense. The novel revolves around an FBI agent who is in disgrace, a dead witness (who is still alive but hiding from the FBI) and a Russian emigre trying to get away from his KGB past.

My question is how to group my chapters. I've been working with having each chapter be from both a single character's POV, and for a discrete period of time or event. But to accomplish both goals, I'm ending up with very short chapters, 10-12 pages, sometimes as short as 5. I know a suspense should be a fast-paced read, but it's becoming very granular.

Here's an example: the first major plot point occurs over a 24 hour period starting with the first chapter:

• Chapter 1 - (FBI agent POV) The Russian is on trial for money laundering. Major tension between the FBI and WITSEC, because the key witness has found proof of a mole, but can't identify whom. Courtroom battle between key witness and defendant. The trial is halted due to inclement weather (ice storm.) But the defense is suddenly acting as if it has already won the trial.
  • Chapter 2 - (FBI agent POV continued) The key witness is at the safe house. Psychologist tells FBI agent the family is under huge emotional strain. Points out the witness and the wife are carrying thousands of dollars in cash in case they have to run.
  • Chapter 3 - (FBI agent's partner POV) We learn the main character's partner is the mole. After main FBI character leaves, he is planting bugs through the safehouse. But when he switches them on.... BLAM! They're explosives. House blows up, he's killed, family killed.
  • Chapter 4 - (FBI agent's POV) In judge's chambers. Mistrial declared. Russian ordered freed. But FBI agent later sees judge shredding a photo of his grandchildren with a book of matches. She realizes the Russian has threatened the judge's family, but she's in disgrace now and the FBI won't follow up on it for political reasons.
So, I have four discrete time periods and a necessary change in POV (chapter 3 is necessary because down the road we find the witness is still alive, but now hiding from both the Russian and the FBI.) But it's too short and choppy. After being away from it for a few months, I think my "event" is the trial AND murders. But I'll have to change POV within 1 chapter. I can do it by grouping the chapter into 4 sections.

In other words, chapter 1 would be:

• Section - trial, FBI POV.
  • Section - two hours later, FBI POV.
  • Section - hours later, partner's POV.
  • Section - next morning, FBI POV.
Each section ends on a climax or cliffhanger. The overall plot/climax is the FBI agent losing the trial and finding out the judge has been threatened.

So... within the mystery/suspense genre, it is okay to have POV shift within a chapter, but in a way that while a POV is active, it is 3rd person limited?

Thanks!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can have a POV shift anywhere it fits and works but it's better to first be absolutely sure the POV shift is needed and that whatever suspense the shift is intended to create isn't inadvertently offset by disturbing whatever flow and suspense has already been created.

I have no idea what your last sentence/question is supposed to mean. This one-

So... within the mystery/suspense genre, it is okay to have POV shift within a chapter, but in a way that while a POV is active, it is 3rd person limited?

Either you are using Third Person Limited or you are not.

Last edited:

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
It's certainly acceptable to have multiple POVs in one chapter when writing in third limited. I do it all the time and so do a lot of the books I read.

I treat my chapters like little stories. Something should be resolved in each one, and at the same time the stakes should grow or new problems should be created. From what I can gather, if you put together the four scenes you mentioned, you'd pretty much have a chapter that follows that format.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
You can shift POV, but avoid bouncing back and forth. That's when you get into head-hopping.

It also looks like your chapters are one scene per chapter. You aren't limited to one scene. You can have several if you feel it improves the flow.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Of course you can switch to a different POV during a chapter. Just make sure you mark it with a clear scene break (indicated by a single centered #). Also, I wouldn't worry about chapter lengths of 10-12 pages on average. That looks like a great length for a fast-paced story.

Heck, I write epic fantasy, and a lot of my chapters are less than ten pages. I like to keep the pacing brisk.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Heck, I write epic fantasy, and a lot of my chapters are less than ten pages. I like to keep the pacing brisk.
Eh, I'm not sure chapter length is really indicative of pacing. I've read some fast-paced books by Terry Pratchett which had no chapter breaks at all, just quickly paced scenes. I've also read books with short chapters which were still slow because there wasn't much happening in each chapter.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Personally... I think you may be over-analysing. Write the story, polish it up, send it to betas. Let them tell you if it works.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
There are sooo many ways to organize chapter breaks, and pov shifts can happen at either scene or chapter breaks. I can't think any approach is a problem in theory. It's all in the writing.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, I'm not sure chapter length is really indicative of pacing. I've read some fast-paced books by Terry Pratchett which had no chapter breaks at all, just quickly paced scenes. I've also read books with short chapters which were still slow because there wasn't much happening in each chapter.

Yeah, I guess that's true. It does seem to me like there's a general trend of shorter chapters going with faster pacing, but that isn't necessarily a rule.

It does depend on how much happens in that chapter (and I tend to put quite a bit into my short chapters).

Status
Not open for further replies.