Adding Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
So I've been working on my WIP for a while, and so far it has it's two MCs. It also has the two dueling sorcerers who serve as the source of conflict that the MCs have to face. Other than those four characters, there really aren't any other key players. There are only some passerby characters. Is this enough for fantasy? I thought maybe with additional characters it would help with world development. Any thoughts?

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
There's no rule for how many characters are 'enough' for fantasy (or any other genre). You should have as many as your story needs, no more and no less.

Adding characters just to show more of the world seems like kind of a weak reason to me, though. The novel I'm currently editing has only a single MC and tells the entire story from his perspective, but I've had no trouble at all developing my world. Granted, you lose a bit of objectivity doing it this way, as the MC's opinion will color the world building explanations, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It keeps things from getting dry.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with not adding characters for the sake of it, but I do think that a story with only 4 characters (apart from the odd walk-on extra) might be a little sparse for fantasy. Do these people have no family, friends, colleagues, mentors, minions, annoying hangers on, anything? There are certainly situations where none of these would apply (for instance, the story might take place in an isolated location, or your characters might just be really antisocial) but I'd find it quite limited in terms of character and setting development I think.

As you can see though, others may feel differently. It's largely personal preference. I like characters, and exploring the relationships between them, so the more the merrier to me. :D

measure_in_love

Registered
Reaction score
There's no rule for how many characters are 'enough' for fantasy (or any other genre). You should have as many as your story needs, no more and no less.

Adding characters just to show more of the world seems like kind of a weak reason to me, though. The novel I'm currently editing has only a single MC and tells the entire story from his perspective, but I've had no trouble at all developing my world.

I agree "showing the world" might not be the best idea/reason. I'm developing the world okay so far, but I feel like people living in the world would make it more real.

I agree with not adding characters for the sake of it, but I do think that a story with only 4 characters (apart from the odd walk-on extra) might be a little sparse for fantasy. Do these people have no family, friends, colleagues, mentors, minions, annoying hangers on, anything? There are certainly situations where none of these would apply (for instance, the story might take place in an isolated location, or your characters might just be really antisocial) but I'd find it quite limited in terms of character and setting development I think.

Precisely my dilemma, Kalli. They do have friends, family. It is YA so the adults aren't really in the picture for the majority of the time. They do have friends but I consider them the odd/walk on extra. In my magical world, my villain is alone. He put down a curse, and is now building an army of demons. However, I'm beginning to wonder if there are people who escaped from that world besides the one sorcerer. Again, it's YA so I feel like a good cast of characters is a good idea. It just might involve some reformatting.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Consider taking a look at your walk ons and seeing if any of them could be combined into the same people. Perhaps there is potential for a few secondary characters in that. Look closely at the walk ons and make them real people, not just cardboard cutouts inserted for a single story purpose. Even the owner of a store has a life outside that store. You may not need anything about his life in the story, but you'll know it. This might help make the world feel more real and help you decide which characters can be combined.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
A story needs the characters it needs to move it forward. Fantasy is a varied genre, and there are plenty of authors (probably most, actually) who don't write huge epics with ten povs and dozens of secondaries like GRRM.

Hard to say how many is enough, depending on the nature of the story. What is the focus of the story? Are they on a long journey together? Then the story may no involved any more detailed characters.

My own story has the plot driving protagonist and two very important secondaries who have big arcs of their own (also important to plot movement) as povs, a group of maybe 5-6 important secondaries who aren't pov characters but still get a lot of "screen" time and impinge on the povs in important ways. Then there are a larger circle of tertiary and quaternary characters.

Each of them has a purpose or role in the story, and I've actually eliminated or combined some support characters who didn't do enough in my opinion. I'm actually worried about the sequel, because there are two more people who *want* to be povs as well, and I worry if that's too much.

The important thing is having any characters who are more than just spear carriers feel like they're real people with personalities and so on, even if we only see them a few times. Showing how your pov character feels about that person is important too.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think in terms of adding characters. I think in terms of adding story. If that requires a new character, so be it. But just adding a new character as a pawn on the writer's chessboard doesn't strike me as a very useful thing to do.

caw

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
One character is fine. Fifty characters works just as well. It's about the story you tell, and how you tell it, not about the number of characters.

measure_in_love

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think in terms of adding characters. I think in terms of adding story. If that requires a new character, so be it. But just adding a new character as a pawn on the writer's chessboard doesn't strike me as a very useful thing to do.

caw

This is also what I was trying to do. Also in terms of theme, I thought my MC's sister would be an important addition.

thanks for the advice, everyone. All the things you brought up are what's going through my head right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.