Working on the Sequel - How Much Should be Explained?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! :)

I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to pitch a sequel to my publisher next month. I'm writing a rough draft now. This is my first attempt at a sequel, and I'm wondering how much of the setting (same as in book one) needs to be explained?

Should I assume that people who are reading the sequel have already read book one? The situation with the characters is coming across naturally I think, but when it comes to describing the setting, there are moments where I feel like I'm basically repeating similar descriptions that can be found in book one.

What do you think? Is it safe to assume that my readers will already be somewhat familiar with the setting, or should I try to describe everything in a new way? I obviously will need some description, I'm just not sure how much. I don't want to bore the reader if they already have a visual in mind.

This is contemporary romance, if that matters.

Thanks!

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Sequels are tricky

I think basically you should never assume anything. Add setting as you did in the first -- as much as is needed for the story you are telling . This story, not the first book's. Maybe develop he setting by showing parts you did not in the first book

It is hard. But hells, you can always go back and tweak when you've finished your draft. Write your story for now. Then go back and look at how much the reader needs to know to understand the story you are telling now -- in this way it's no different to the first book

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
When you say "sequel" for contemporary romance, do you mean book one ended with a HFN ending and you're using the same couple for book two to give them their HEA, or is this a different couple? I ask because sequel would only be the same couple. Otherwise, it's just book two of a continuity series. :)

If a true sequel, it'll sort of require people to read the first and you can use simple, limited elements from the first book to center the reader, with a few references to events in book one. If book two of a continuity, it's whole different people with different backgrounds (even if they're related family members), so start from scratch in describing things. Even a family home will be looked at differently by people--different elements of the same room will grab their attention, for example. A brother might focus on the kitchen table in his book, while a sister might notice that Mom bought new drapes. It's the same kitchen, but readers will notice the differences in personality and focus.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I often go back to the first book when redescribing settings and see how I did it before (masterfully, of course ;) ), and then base my description on that, but slightly different. The same POV probably thinks of the same setting in a relatively similar way. I mean, how often do you reevaluate what your office space looks like? That keeps things consistent but not carbon copied too.

Read some series with repeated settings and see what those authors do. I know the Dresden Files (not your genre, but an example I know well because I listen to them on audiobook and it forces me to pay attention to how things are described) always describes every recurring character and place.

Coconut

Registered
Reaction score
I think regardless of whether the second book is a sequel in which it's necessary to have read the first book, or a series in which each book can stand alone, you should provide same information for the reader because even if they have read the first book, it could have been a long time ago and they might need a refresher. If it makes sense, you could have just a short sentence after introducing characters from book one that sums up who they are, and maybe work in a bit of backstory on book 1/pre-book 1.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
NEVER assume that a reader has already read the first book. You have to introduce the setting and the characters as if they are brand new, and you cannot assume that the reader has any knowledge of the events of the first book.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If it 's a new story with the same characters, you shouldn't have to explain much at all. I've written two sequels, and I gave all necessary background in only a couple of paragraphs.

It's the new story readers care about.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
NEVER assume that a reader has already read the first book. You have to introduce the setting and the characters as if they are brand new, and you cannot assume that the reader has any knowledge of the events of the first book.

I'd second that, but add that you should describe things the way your viewpoint characters would see them at the time you are writing about now. A person returning to the house where he has lived for a year is going to notice different things than he did the first time he set foot there, for instance. A woman looking at the man she's been dating for several months isn't going to inventory his features, but she might think about how his crooked smile always gives her the warm fuzzies, and that's enough to give the reader a mental picture.

In other words, assume the reader knows nothing, but also trust that if your descriptions are true to the characters, the reader will be able to fill in any gaps.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe think about the first book as backstory. All books have backstory, and you know some of the good and bad ways to handle it. You deliver it as the reader needs and even better wants to know it.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
All I can say, is that sequels often make me cringe because of info-dumping. Write a book that stands on it's own, yet doesn't bore those who have read the previous book(s) in the series.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
When you say "sequel" for contemporary romance, do you mean book one ended with a HFN ending and you're using the same couple for book two to give them their HEA, or is this a different couple? I ask because sequel would only be the same couple. Otherwise, it's just book two of a continuity series. :)

Yep, you nailed it. Same couple. The first story, they are quite young. They have a lovely summer romance that ends with a HFN. In this one, they have broken up due to being young and life taking them in different directions, but circumstances bring them both back to the same location, and they fall in love again.

I think regardless of whether the second book is a sequel in which it's necessary to have read the first book, or a series in which each book can stand alone, you should provide same information for the reader because even if they have read the first book, it could have been a long time ago and they might need a refresher.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks. :)

I'd second that, but add that you should describe things the way your viewpoint characters would see them at the time you are writing about now. A person returning to the house where he has lived for a year is going to notice different things than he did the first time he set foot there, for instance.

This is what I've been trying to do. Describing the way they remember things from years ago and the slight differences that have happened in the years they've been away.

Thanks for all the replies! :D
http://www.absolutewrite.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

JalexM

Registered
Reaction score
All I can say, is that sequels often make me cringe because of info-dumping. Write a book that stands on it's own, yet doesn't bore those who have read the previous book(s) in the series.
I agree with this, put a little info in to refresh your past readers about the story but make it enough to set a base for the new ones.
It's tricky like everyone else has said.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
It really is a lot trickier than I had imagined. The story is so deeply ingrained in me at this point that it's hard to stop and remember, "wait...the person reading this may not know this stuff." Ideally, I'd like to make it so either book would make the reader want to read the other, even if they happened to come across the sequel first.

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
This is a great question, and one that I struggle with in every book.

One of my favorite authors does very little explanation in his sequels, but he does a little. He assumes you have read the prior books, but if you don't you can still enjoy the story - you just won't get as much out of it.

I used to really like another author who moved from this approach to an agonizing retelling of all the back story... I stopped reading her series. Her books also became so short that it seemed like nothing new was really happening. Every one was a cliff hanger as well, but with all the replaying of location and back story they were just no longer interesting.

I wrote her about it and she tells me her editor insists on the full backstory and scene description, and the publishing house has cut her page count.... They lost me as a reader...

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a sequel for my Roman HF, and my approach is to treat it like a stand alone, as though the first book doesn't exist. I don't have the issue about settings as the first book was set in Rome, and this one is in Judaea (Jerusalem and Galilee). My pet hate in series fiction is where the author stops the story to info-dump the previous books, and I end up skipping pages. If it fits the plot, then I give a brief allusion back to the plot, but say nothing more than the MC was in a relationship that ended badly. If a reader was to pick up book 2 first, then I would like them to enjoy book 1 as though they had never read the sequel.

Not a comment relevant to you, but I'm reading a debut author's first novel, and I've read so many Roman HF that give detailed descriptions of how Roman forts are laid out and the structure of a Legion, that its generic. It might be really fascinating for the author, but its starting to irritate me now. So no, I don't give a description of Roman forts in every book, unless there is something different that needs mentioning (like my first book where the Praetorian Camp featured, which has significant differences, and couldn't help correcting where Simon Scarrow got it wrong. :tongue)

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
I think the general rule is one sentence of exposition to let the reader know what happened already. Maybe one more if you need to explain where it left the character emotionally, but I think there's a bit of leeway there.

My favorite author will usually go off on a five paragraph tangent to explain something that happened in a previous book. He still gets published, but it does slow things down quite a bit...

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Maybe think about the first book as backstory. All books have backstory, and you know some of the good and bad ways to handle it. You deliver it as the reader needs and even better wants to know it.

This. Absolutely this. Speaking more as a reader than a writer, because I'm still working on my first sequel.

Abisha

Registered
Reaction score
So glad I found this thread. I've been worried about this too. Love the advice on handling it like backstory as well.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
I bought a Kevin J Anderson space opera on impulse once--stunned by the fact that a fat sci-fi with an awesome spacey cover was sold in the airport bookstore which was otherwise filled with...well, you can imagine what it was filled with--and it was like volume 5 or something; similar situation with flipping open the 4th volume of Colin Wilson's Spider World classic. In both casess the authors gave a summary of characters and events in the prior books at the start, and this really helped me.
As long as it's a clearly labeled section at the start, those who need it--read it, and those who don't--proceed to chapter 1. Same with a cast-list and thesaurus at the end--clearly labeled for those who find it difficult to simply pick things up as they go along, and really need an explanation of what a hyper-blaster is and that Admiral Fink is, in fact, and admiral.
At least that's what I prefer as a reader: to have a clear choice.

Last edited:

Interfaced

Incoming Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.futureconscience.com
It really is a lot trickier than I had imagined. The story is so deeply ingrained in me at this point that it's hard to stop and remember, "wait...the person reading this may not know this stuff." Ideally, I'd like to make it so either book would make the reader want to read the other, even if they happened to come across the sequel first.

There's a relatively easy way around that - make sure some of your beta readers haven't read the first book. They will let you know what areas need more explanation, and it should be relatively easy to add it at a later date.

Don't let yourself worry too much about explaining things that you already know - you might miss out on getting to a deeper level of character development if you're too focused on it.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Your responses have been very helpful. :) Thinking of book one as back story and handling it as such has been the most useful tip for me. Should have been obvious I guess, but I wasn't thinking of it that way before.

Status
Not open for further replies.