Musings on where I am, POV, tense, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I am new here, trying to learn about this fabulous site. I thought I'd just post on one of the issues i'm having (and am very up for any recommendations about other threads, resources, etc). The thread (yes did a bit of archeology) on POV, FPP and so on is so helpful and really, stuff like that is exactly why I joined AW. First, telling my friends that I am “writing” or even “finished a rough draft of” a novel typically gets the same reaction I imagine I’d get if I told them I was knitting socks for a hamster. And second, I don’t know anyone who is up for a discussion of things like FPP, first past, or how one works in back story without some horrid info dump.

The issue is tense, really and POV. I just finished my first novel and am revising, brutally. Like I guess a lot of newbies, I wrote in FPP because when I started, I just wanted to tell a story. I did not buy any books on writing, I didn't even look at online resources, there are not any writers groups in my area. I just sat down when I had time and wrote. But now, I am looking at books, looking at structure and tension, character development.

i'm a psychologist so I do write for a living (evaluations mostly) but not fiction (I hope my evaluations have not turned out to be fiction anyway, but one does wonder ;)).
I consider myself a storyteller though, because one thing we do is listen for the client’s story (usually painful) and see if we can help create a “better” one. So, I do get to listen to stories all day long. Thinking about POV and tense, and listening to my clients, I realize people, at least in their shrinks’ offices, mix tenses all the time
So, we were sitting there, watching TV and what does she do? She up and tells me I’m a dumb fuck and that Aaron isn’t going to amount to shit. Where does she get this? Swear to God! So me, I get up and I get right in her fucking face. I tell her <insert some really nasty stuff here>. So then, I just take Max out for a walk, because you know, I don’t need her shit. Then the next day, I’m late, just about out the door and she comes up and says, ‘here’ and she gives me this fucking box. I mean, she expects me to open the damn thing right there! So I set down all my shit and start opening the stupid thing. They fucking make these things so a safecracker couldn’t open it. And what is it? You know what she did? That woman! It’s that Kimber I wanted. It’s that God damned Kimber.

In narrative (at least with shrinks!) people tend to move in and out of past and present, but in telling the story, it is most common in the present, or it gets there (“I totally didn’t see the cop. I’m just sitting in my car, eating lunch, and this guy just comes right up to my window and he says…”)

So yes. I see that it’s confusing. And one really has to stick in voice and not get in to “So I realize that I’m hungry” kind of stuff. As I said, I did write mine in FPP because that seems like what I hear all day. But, after I get done with other plot related revisions will I try it in past tense? Probably. It may flow better. I can see where backstory could be problem.
But doing revisions, I have to stay focused. If my brain gets to “OMG! POV! Let’s try it in past…no, wait! Let’s try it in 3rd! 3rd present? No, still have to work that problem out in chapter 5. No, gotta get those dialog tags out of there first. Yeah, I’ll do that, but wait! I just remembered! What I was going to have that guy say in chapter 10? And shit, what about cliff hangers at the end of each chapter??” I will never, ever get anything done!

Anyway that’s where I’m at.
Great site!

Last edited:

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
They say that the first draft is you telling yourself your the story. And revision sucks. Period. It's frazzling but you seem to be in good spirits! Best wishes.

What genre are you writing in? I enjoy psychology and I can't imagine the perspective you have on life from being a psychologist. What stories you must hear. We humans are quite irrational when it comes down to living life. One of my favorite quotes would be "truth is stranger than fiction," because that's how life is. I think writing fiction requires more logic and rationalization than how humans truly behave in reality. At least fiction gives us explanations. Most of the time!

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
First, telling my friends that I am “writing” or even “finished a rough draft of” a novel typically gets the same reaction I imagine I’d get if I told them I was knitting socks for a hamster.

Don't worry, everybody who is writing a novel but has not successfully published one gets that. Even if you have a Ph.D. in Russian literature, no one will believe you are a novelist until you prove it. It's also a mid-life cliche answer to the question of what is the meaning of life: "I'm going to write the great American novel." Maybe the look you're getting is the "I just bought a Porsche" look.

I think you're obsessing too much over POV. If it was natural for you to write your story in first person present, that's probably right. It's a good idea to experiment with other POVs - in a different story. Don't keep rewriting just to change the POV. There are lots of better reasons to rewrite.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Generally speaking, what I've heard is that past tense is preferred. Some readers shun present tense.

Dialogue, which is what you hear all day, is generally done in present tense.

I found, while reading Hunger Games (which I quite liked), that having the narration in present tense made the dialogue pop less, especially the internal dialogue.

That came across as a liability to me, but it doesn't mean it can't be done well. It's something to think about.

I think you should have a reason to pick a tense other than first or limited third past. I'm wrestling with the advisability of omniscient past in another post. But in the end, you should choose the POV/tense that best suits your story.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much! I'm writing in contemporary fiction, I guess, with a bit of a mystery thrown in! And yes, I do get to hear a LOT of stories; too bad they'd be recognizable if I actually used any!!! Truly, there are so many things I could not make up if I tried!

I wish I had made a deliberate choice to use FPP. I did not. I just wrote! The place it does work is that the charactor does undergo a transformation (I hope!) so the voice does change a little to reflect that. The ending is also left open as to what will happen. The romance may or may not work(optimistic but not confirmed), the direction of the person's life is a bit up in the air, in a good way. So, I didn't want to come from a place of looking back. But, as I said, i'm tearing whole sections and moving them around, changing up a bit of the plot, so, I will likely play with tense as well.

I bet just buying the damn Porsche would have been easier!!

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
bomber, the fact that you notice this stuff is important.

What you've noticed is that when people talk, they play fast and loose with the received rules of grammar. Writers do that, too. It's up to us to know the rules and when to break them. For instance, if you have a character spieling (via dialogue) about what happened to them earlier in the day, then it's totally legit to have them dip in and out of present tense. It's what people do. If your story is in first person and that's how the story is being told by your narrator, then that's legit, too. However, in both cases, you need to have a handle on it--you need to be aware of what you're doing and why, and you need to know how much of this your reader will tolerate.

In exposition, as opposed to dialogue, you really can't be dipping in and out of present/past. In third person, you'll have to pick one and stick with it. In first person, unless you really want to go wild-and-crazy with the voice, it's the same thing.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, I can definitely see the problem with the FPP! It's kind of an interesting challenge to work around, and I may just try something else (knitting, at least I can finish those projects!)

It certainly makes me keenly aware of how people talk and how they tell stories!

Status
Not open for further replies.