Why do you write what you write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
As far as genre? Is it as simple as it's the genre you've always read? Do you write in more than one genre? Did you write a book or two before settling into one that really worked for you? Do you feel that who you are, and/or what you've experienced drew you to your genre, and so you had little to say about it? Did you choose your genre due to market considerations? Did a book of yours click, whether in the writing process or in the positive reception it received, and so you found yourself writing in a genre that may not have been your first choice for more practical reasons?

Do you think the genre you write in says much about who you are?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
For me, I think it boils down to the old advice of write what you would love to read if someone else wrote it.

I write in several genres, and I read extensively in even more. I wouldn't begin to write in a genre I didn't read, or didn't really enjoy.

I just write what I want to write. I started with westerns, and sold five novels before moving to other genres, but all have been a choice, something I really wanted to write at the time. I have to write a lot of things I don't want to write in nonfiction, but I'm not going to do that with fiction.

I believe completely that "write what you love" is always the way to go. If you don't love what you;re wriitng, if the writing itself doesn't make you happy, then why the hell would you write it?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I write what I write because when I started to write I tried things I liked to read. I kind of funneled from contemporary coming of age fiction to YA...it's what I like most as a reader. It's where I'm most comfortable as a writer.

I think the genre I write in says as much about me as the gender I sleep with. Nothing.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I write whatever idea pops into my head that beckons for further exploration. And my witty stuff gets a much better reception than my more serious stuff. Haha. But the subject matter of my serious stuff tends to be a whole lot more fascinating to me. I love the research part for those.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing prehistoric fiction because I'm obsessed with the palaeolithic era. (see my blog for example)

I've been interested in human evolution and palaeoanthropology for years. Science can only tell me so much. My imagination fills in the gaps, and these gaps become stories.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I write what I write because when I started to write I tried things I liked to read. I kind of funneled from contemporary coming of age fiction to YA...it's what I like most as a reader. It's where I'm most comfortable as a writer.

I think the genre I write in says as much about me as the gender I sleep with. Nothing.

I'd say the gender you sleep with says a great deal about you.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'd say the gender you sleep with says a great deal about you.

I have to disagree with you a great deal. But that's seriously another thread. What happens in the bedroom stays in the bedroom. Who cares? /derail

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I write fantasy because those have always been the stories I've found most interesting to read. I've tried science fiction from time to time because I enjoy it as well, but I haven't managed to finish anything.

I've also written some MG fantasy. I've tried YA, but I haven't managed to finish any of those project.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I have never read science fiction, at least that I can recall. I once had an idea for a superhero book, which I was told that it was science fiction. And it was a great, fun idea! Alas, I puttered out pretty quickly, as I did not have the chops to write it. I wish I can pass it along to someone with the experience to finish it for me. LOL. Some day I'll try to finish it...

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Escapism. I write to get away. And the only way I can get away from the things I dislike about the real world is to write science fiction.

I suppose fantasy would do it, too; but for some reason I prefer positing a future of our current society.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I believe completely that "write what you love" is always the way to go. If you don't love what you;re wriitng, if the writing itself doesn't make you happy, then why the hell would you write it?

Absolutely. I love history so my current novel project is historical. My short fiction is all over the board, usually generated by a news item or a snippet of overheard conversation, something like that.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I was drawn to fantasy for a lot of reasons. I love creating my own cultures and worlds. I love everything about magic and the limitless possibilities it presents. I have to admit I like the grandiosity and spectacle of the genre too. I'm never having more fun writing than when I'm describing fantastical action-adventure sequences filled with enchantments and strange creatures.

I have no idea what my love of fantasy says about me. I don't exactly find the real world boring (some of my favorite books are purely contemporary with no fantastical elements at all) but I tend to find it oppressive as a writer. Some fact of reality always seems to get in my way when I try to write about the real world. Then I start thinking how much cooler it would be if the characters lived in a sky castle accessible only by winged unicorn and suddenly it's not a contemporary story anymore, lol.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I read in various genres, but I write fantasy. I can't not write fantasy--even when I try, something Other always creeps in, or the plot will go all sideways and mystical.

Interfaced

Incoming Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.futureconscience.com
I'm drawn to science fiction, and in particular social commentary sci-fi (think Philip K Dick - hands down my favourite author), because it allows you to really dig into the depths of human society and our ideas of progress whilst giving the leeway to do some quite fantastical things. It's easier to relate to than fantasy, but not as restricted as more 'realistic' genres such as political thrillers.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
My first novel was 100% pantsed. I had no ideas where it would go, not even down to genre. What came out was a blend of adventure/romance/sci-fi/flintlock, and it got my juices flowing, so I have stuck with it.

I did write a contemporary psychological novella, and it's probably my favorite thing of my own. I knew and loved the main character already, though. Anything with him in it will make me want to write.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
First, for all those with blogs, I've added all of you to my daily RSS Feedly feed.

I've been reading for as long as I can remember - anything I could get my hands on. Used to spend hours in the library and haunted museums.

I write in all genres expect for romance and children - although I do have a short story on Amazon that's ideal for little kids about a harbor seal.

As for the rest - I think a lot of it has to do with my experiences and what seems most "pushing" inside my mind. I finished four historical novels about the California missions and decided to write an epic novel about one of the main characters in California history.

In the midst of that, I came to realize that I've outgrown some of the older styles of my writing and had to make some changes -major changes.

That lead to writing a short story about 1867 California - a good, old western-style gunslinger, bushwhackers, grieving widow, and good guy ex-union soldier with the beautiful young daughter who falls in love with him.

That also led to my current project of re-writing some things I published on Amazon.com to make them - hopefully - better. It also means withdrawing a project I submitted to a publisher to re-write and make major revisions.

To the main question - why do I write what I write? Because I like telling stories and I tell the ones that come to mind.

I should create a "notes on things to do/write" file so I can keep track of the ideas when they pop into my head.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I read in various genres, but I write fantasy. I can't not write fantasy--even when I try, something Other always creeps in, or the plot will go all sideways and mystical.
Pretty much this^ for me too.

I've been reading since I was old enough to know how and I've generally read general Christian fiction, Christian and secular fantasy and sci-fi, mystery, and historical fic. The majority of it is YA. However, I only write fantasy because thus far, like BethS, I can't not write it. Fantasy captures my imagination in a way that other genres don't and gives me the freedom to do whatever I want without the limitations that are inherent to the real world. I actually tried writing plain old YA fic once when I was about 14 yrs old, but found it so boring that I gave up.:tongue

In addition, although I haven't finished a story yet, I'd say the majority of my writing will fall in YA category and have Christian undertones and/or symbolism if it isn't outright Christian fiction.

Does this choice of genre(s) say anything about me? I guess it says that fantasy captures my imagination more than other genres, I am a Christian, and I tend to write stuff that falls under YA.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I write fantasy 'cause reality is boring. That's pretty much it. I like to create worlds and magic and creatures, and writing a story solely about real-life stuff tends to bore me.

And I suppose what it says to me is that I'm imaginative. I like to fantasize. To distract myself from mundane life.

ash.y

Absurd and Obscure
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bearandblackdog.com
I write fantasy because I love it. The magic of Harry Potter and Ella Enchanted has always stuck with me. I'm drawn to fantasy, fairy tales, mystery, and history. And that does say something about my interests, if nothing else.

Also, my realistic fiction reads like an amateur's lesson in spooning out one's eyeballs. (PLEASE, SOMEONE, MAKE THE PAIN STOP.) So skill has something to do with my genre choice too.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
I follow my characters. There isn't a genre or non I don't like reading (bit iffy with vampires and zombies). Often my writing becomes fantasy because I love the freedom it brings however I am currently writing an historical detective story (set in the Edwardian Era). It came about when I was musing on a name "Cece Garrett" and what Miss Marple would be like as a teen (I've tweaked the dates seriously since).

I was trying to decide what I needed to focus on and realised my character is a suffragette and there are many female firsts centenaries coming up over the next few decades. I'd be silly not to try and get it out this year.

TheWordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Why do I write what I write? I'm ADHD. My mind contemplates many things in a matter of minutes and attempts to sort and make sense of them all.

I don't write in one genre. I have books in various stages of completion from completely done and ready for submissions to just begun and can't wait until I see where it's going. I write, or have written, most everything from picture book to romance, thriller to killer, spies and romance and family saga. I write fantasy and historical and police and time travel and... and...

There doesn't seem to be any one particular genre in which I would place all of my eggs in that basket. The world is a wonderful and interesting place. And I refuse to discriminate on the basis of genre! I love them all. I read them all. Ergo... I write them all.

Last edited:

Hopefully WLCT

Registered
Reaction score
I love to read historical romance and "ONLY" historical romance, but yet my WIP is a modern day romance...go figure!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I want to write the kinds of stories I like to read mostly. And my favorite genres are fantasy and SF. I do enjoy contemporary/mainstream type fiction as well, but I haven't felt a huge urge to write it. The thought of creating characters who are dealing with the same issues I do in my daily life in the same kind of setting I live in--jobs, family, aging, dogs, relationships in suburbia--just doesn't grab me. I like to make up new worlds where things are different, I guess.

I think a lot of my characters and stories started as daydreams, stories I'd tell myself or situations I'd try to work out in my head. Eventually I had to start writing them down to keep them straight.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Counts quickly... Horror, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Crime, Western and Thriller. Plus the subgenres, like ghost stories, occult detectives, creature features, sword and sorcery etc.

But I don't really think of them as being different. It's all adventure fiction for boys who've grown up, but stayed boys. Like me, and in my case, it's almost all pulp. Big beasties, swordplay, sorcery, ghosts, guns, aliens, werewolves, vampires, eldritch things from beyond and slime.

Lots and lots of slime.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Really interesting. Thanks for all the responses so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.