Assassin's Creed: Unity Surprise Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaniStormborn

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so here I am, flipping through my latest edition of Game Informer, which just so happens to be the Assassin's Creed: Unity cover, when I get to the big article itself: the new Assassin's Creed game. Then, I start a very . . . 'operatic'-like scream, and I'll tell you guys why. Maybe all you writers out there will be as excited as I am at this news.

In a little box outside of the actual article, the author talks about some of the new characters being introduced into the new game. Of course, taking place during the French Revolution, the 'duh' characters are there: Marie Antoinette, King Louis XVI, Maximilian de Robespierre, etc. There was one, however, that caught my eye, not only because I personally consider him one of the most fascinating men in history, but also because he is, arguably, one of the biggest, most well-known writers in history.

Yes, my friends, the Marquis de Sade himself is going to be a major character in the new Assassin's Creed. I cannot be more excited as I already am. This man, while not the most tame writer on the face of the planet, is nonetheless, one of the most well-known. And while they have tackled famous writers in the past games (Ben Franklin, Machiavelli, etc.) the Marquis is the first exclusive writer they've tackled that has not been involved and also known for something else other than being a writer (political figure, philosopher, scientist, etc (and as far as I remember, that is)). I think it will be very, very interesting to see how Ubisoft designs such a huge historical figure.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the Marguis de Sade is known for something else besides being a writer--in general, he's better known for being the name for sadism and his sexual perversions than being a writer.

That said, I think it'll be interesting to see what they do with him in the course of the story. This entire time period and place in history is filled with amazing people and challenging situations, I've been hoping they'd get to it and do something cool with it. Here's hoping they have the good storytelling going as they did in the first three in the franchise.

DaniStormborn

Registered
Reaction score
Well his name is linked with his writing. If he hadn't wrote what he wrote, I doubt he would be as well known for being the father of that name as he is now. That being said: I agree and that's also what I'm afraid of. I hope they go more the route of how Geoffrey Rush played him in Quills, than how they portrayed Juan Borgia in the earlier games. Portraying the Marquis de Sade like they did Juan, almost seems as an . . . insult, in a way?

Jenkki

Registered
Reaction score
He was a heinous person and should be a natural villain. Kidnapping, abusing, raping and torturing teenage girls and young children is not something to be celebrated, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.