The Games Lounge For All Your General Games Chat Needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Albedo, can you tell me whether I can play MP without it affecting my SP campaign? I was watching my hubby try MP, and it showed his character under my account name (we play on our own machines with our own characters, but under one Origin account). As far as I know, it's not possible to delete anything done within MP. (I'm being nitpicky and going for my 'perfect' personal canon SP playthrough, and am a bit wary of having anything external affect it.)

I'm not actually sure, sorry. I finished my playthrough before I touched MP. Supposedly MP experience and character promotions increase your Galaxy at War rating making it more likely you'll get a good ending, but I don't think that sucking at MP will reduce it.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Which reminds me, I should get back to my full series playthrough as Femshep. I'm not determined to get a perfect score, just to undo some of Mshep's bigger errors, such as getting Kelly Chambers dissolved by nanobots. Whoops.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and there was that whole thing with accidentally causing the genocide of my girlfriend's entire species. That was a bit negligent.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hah, yes. Hubby was playing a mostly renegade FemShep, and was aghast when Kelly committed suicide in ME3 because of a dialogue option he'd chosen. After that, he felt so bad that he tried to be a bit less renegade... which meant that by the time Priority: Rannoch came around, he didn't have enough reputation in either Paragon or Renegade specifically to be able to influence both Quarians and Geth, and ended up losing Tali.

I love how ME lets you properly role play, if you want to. His renegade Shep has made completely different decisions to mine, and his game looks very different to both mine, and his previous playthrough. I'm pretty much 100% Paragon, so for me a 'perfect' playthrough doesn't mean saving everyone (as that mostly happens anyway), but just fighting elegantly and efficiently, etc.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I RPed my Mshep, Rutherford Shepard, as a respected, honourable navy man, who'd nevertheless at some point in the recent past suffered a traumatic frontal lobe injury. Mostly I'd play sensibly, (apart from trying to pick the most sarcastic dialogue option in any given scenario), but occasionally Rutherford would snap and throw a mercenary off a skyscraper. Or aid Cerberus. Or unleash the rachni. Or cheat on Liara. If he'd been enough of a badass he probably would have tried his luck with Morinth.

Still, no-one left behind at the end of ME2! I'm still proud of that.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite moral message of the ME series is that being a Renegade is categorically the wrong decision in every single possible outcome.

I mean, take the paragon option every time and the galaxy is objectively a better place! ANd, honestly, in real life, being a "renegade" far too often translates into...just being a dick, and taking shortcuts due to your own arrogance.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I can't play Renegade, but I love watching it. It's just funny.

I went to a panel at Worldcon a couple of weeks ago which was "Bethesda versus Bioware". The moderator was Jenni Hill (commissioning editor at Orbit), and she had brought 'quests' for the panelists, asking them what games had the best twists, the best character relationships (not necessarily romantic), the best combat system, etc. and gave points to each company according to the answers. The audience also got to answer. It was light-hearted and a lot of fun.

One of the things that came out of it was the Bioware games were excellent for characters (and Bioware 'won' overall), but Bethesda games were best for letting you be evil - something which was done for the laughs. One of the panelists said her decision-making process in any given situation boiled down to, "Will it be funny?" She adopted orphans into her Dark Brotherhood, allowed them to have pets, and then killed the pets. Another panelist role-played as a Chicken Assassin, which got her into trouble in various towns and villages and was actually remarkably dangerous. Bethesda games gave you the freedom, but Bioware games gave you characters and character relationships that meant something to you.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just a big old fuddy duddy...but...as I've gotten older, I have become less and less able to be evil in video games.

Hell, I tried playing Planescape Torment and being evil and I literally felt so guilty that I had to start the game over again and be EXTRA GOOD!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
That's not fuddy-duddy, that's just an overactive guilt complex, and I share your pain there. I can't do evil runs. Even for achievements, I'll make a save file, do evil, get the chievo, and then reload and act like the evil never happened. Can't do it.

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
That's not fuddy-duddy, that's just an overactive guilt complex, and I share your pain there. I can't do evil runs. Even for achievements, I'll make a save file, do evil, get the chievo, and then reload and act like the evil never happened. Can't do it.

What a relief; I was afraid I was the only person who played that way! Yup, I admit it; no matter how funny, clever, or rewarding the evil questlines are, I exclusively play hero classic (except the one time I played a fallen hero on a quest for redemption. He wasn't evil, but he was kind of a douchebag, more prone to delivering snarky dialogue options and taking morally gray quests than my other heroes).

Well, hero classic, and...

Sophia said:
Another panelist role-played as a Chicken Assassin, which got her into trouble in various towns and villages and was actually remarkably dangerous.

Once I challenged myself to play Oblivion as... myself. Instead of tackling any of the questlines, I spent my days hunting down, acquiring, and delivering all the letters in the game.

I was stunned just how challenging this turned out to be, having to find and "steal" letters and then break in to "deliver" them. On Tamriel, my job sucks. :roll:

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
What a relief; I was afraid I was the only person who played that way! Yup, I admit it; no matter how funny, clever, or rewarding the evil questlines are, I exclusively play hero classic (except the one time I played a fallen hero on a quest for redemption. He wasn't evil, but he was kind of a douchebag, more prone to delivering snarky dialogue options and taking morally gray quests than my other heroes).

Once I challenged myself to play Oblivion as... myself. Instead of tackling any of the questlines, I spent my days hunting down, acquiring, and delivering all the letters in the game.

I was stunned just how challenging this turned out to be, having to find and "steal" letters and then break in to "deliver" them. On Tamriel, my job sucks. :roll:

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. :roll: You'd think they'd be happy to have you deliver for them! Elder Scrolls: Courier edition!

It's so terrible to have that guilt complex, especially when you're playing games like Overlord, where you are literally an evil overlord and destroying people and razing cities is your thing. "HELLO PEASANT. I SEE YOU ARE ON FIRE. MY APOLOGIES, I WAS AIMING AT THAT MONSTER. OH NO OH NO WHY AREN'T YOU PUTTING YOURSELF OUT PLEASE DON'T DIE PEASANT OH... DAMMIT."

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
That actually sounds like a lot of fun. :roll: You'd think they'd be happy to have you deliver for them! Elder Scrolls: Courier edition!

Yeah, seriously! "Put down the sword! It's not like it's from Mannimarco! Well, okay, some of it is..." Was pretty fun, though. (ETA: Now that I recall, Lost Boy Cavern was actually one of the zanier quests in Courier class, considering I had to collect all the letters and then deliver them to an amalgamated lich).

TAMaxwell said:
It's so terrible to have that guilt complex, especially when you're playing games like Overlord, where you are literally an evil overlord and destroying people and razing cities is your thing. "HELLO PEASANT. I SEE YOU ARE ON FIRE. MY APOLOGIES, I WAS AIMING AT THAT MONSTER. OH NO OH NO WHY AREN'T YOU PUTTING YOURSELF OUT PLEASE DON'T DIE PEASANT OH... DAMMIT."

At least until you find the Heart of Darkness spirit forge, it considerably ups the difficulty in Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain if you refuse to let Kain drink from anybody who hasn't attacked him first. I imagine a more sophisticated AI responding like, "Hey! You! Miss goody-two-shoes! Think you could hand the controller off to someone whose priorities are more along the lines of not getting my ass kicked down here?"

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I actually find Dungeon Keeper 2 to be pretty great for the evil.

Mostly because it is so...goofy that I can't take it seriously.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's always amusing playing Saints Row with Mr. Maxwell. We'll be walking down the street, and I'm not paying attention to him. Suddenly we've got 3 stars of heat and I'm surrounded by cops because he decided he didn't like the way someone looked at him and introduced them to his rocket launcher. Meanwhile, I feel bad if someone decides to run across the street in front of my car while I'm in a high speed chase.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I never have any problem with being evil in games myself. At least, to non-companions (or at least companions I like). Just don't make me think about my FailShep run...

It's always amusing playing Saints Row with Mr. Maxwell. We'll be walking down the street, and I'm not paying attention to him. Suddenly we've got 3 stars of heat and I'm surrounded by cops because he decided he didn't like the way someone looked at him and introduced them to his rocket launcher. Meanwhile, I feel bad if someone decides to run across the street in front of my car while I'm in a high speed chase.

It's rare for me to play Saints Row 2 and not be struck with a sudden thought of, "Gee, I think I'm going to line up my reticle at about head-level and indiscriminately empty my pair of uzis into the 'air'." :evil

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mr. Maxwell's been playing Guacamelee the past few days. I'm smitten. A classic Metroidvania-style game with adorable graphics, solid level design, and all the tequila you can drink. Only complaint is that it's local multiplayer only, no online play, so there's no playing together on each of our accounts at once.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I beat BG2: Shadows of Amn...and then the game IMMEDIATELY dumped me into Throne of Bhaal!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! I THOUGHT I HAD ESCAPED

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I found my new God!

Minor and Major Spell-Sequencer! The minor version lets you cast two 1st or 2nd level spells at the same time with NO CASTING TIME.

Or, as I call it, MAGIC MISSILE SPAM TIME!!!!!!!!

Feldkamp

Registered
Reaction score
Ticket to Ride finally came in (boo living over seas). We've successfully played 5 games without declaring divorce, so looks like a keeper. ;)

Also broke it off with our pathfinder group this weekend. Pregnancy is an amazing excuse for everything. Don't think we'll be going back. New GM doesn't prepare her material and the host is one of those guys who tries to play everyone's character for them. Shame since it's so hard to find a group here.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ah, I found my new God!

Minor and Major Spell-Sequencer! The minor version lets you cast two 1st or 2nd level spells at the same time with NO CASTING TIME.

Or, as I call it, MAGIC MISSILE SPAM TIME!!!!!!!!

Magic missile: low level spell, dangerous in the wrong hands.

Ticket to Ride finally came in (boo living over seas). We've successfully played 5 games without declaring divorce, so looks like a keeper. ;)

Also broke it off with our pathfinder group this weekend. Pregnancy is an amazing excuse for everything. Don't think we'll be going back. New GM doesn't prepare her material and the host is one of those guys who tries to play everyone's character for them. Shame since it's so hard to find a group here.

Yay on Ticket to Ride, boo about the Pathfinder group. I hear you about the difficulty in finding a group, and I'm stateside. Tabletop gaming groups are just so... hit or miss, it seems. I'm just glad the Battletech group Mr. Maxwell's hooked up with the last few weeks seems to be a "hit." Not even our tabletop gaming friends will sit down for Battletech.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
8 days to Hyrule Warriors 8 days to Hyrule Warriors 8 days to Hyrule Warriors 8 days to Hyrule Warriors 8 days to Hyrule Warriorseheheheheh

Anticipation? Excited? What? Me? *angel face*

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
8 days to Hyrule Warriors 8 days to Hyrule Warriors 8 days to Hyrule Warriors 8 days to Hyrule Warriors 8 days to Hyrule Warriorseheheheheh

Anticipation? Excited? What? Me? *angel face*

I almost had my boyfriend excited about Hyrule Warriors, until I realized it was on the Wii U; which we don't have.

Sadly, there are many games I want right now, but being unemployed is not good. Fairy Fencer F, Atelier Escher & Lodgy, Tales of Xillia 2. ToX2 is for me and the BF to play together. He keeps have to use his money for something silly, like to his mother (and that's a stupid story), so we can't get it yet.

He knows I'd like those games. I don't like the idea of wanting them, it makes me feel selfish.

((There were several instances where he bought a Zelda Windwaker shirt and a $10 Charizard Pokemon TCG kit, and he said he'd buy me something, but I refused))

Status
Not open for further replies.