Your help needed: A sci-fi author (Me) just got booked to Comic-Con and I have *no* idea what to do!

StreetCalledHaight

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, folks -

This is going to seem like an odd request but I'm quite sincere and I'll send you a soft-copy of my latest novel to express my appreciation for any assistance you can give me. Here's the deal:

I'm a sci-fi author (www.flotillaonline.com) and most of you know that. I just got booked to be on my first author panel at the Reno Comic Con coming up November 22 and 23rd. This is a huge step up for me because I've contributed to Comic Con's Souvenir Book for the last two years and it's an honor to now be on panels. Now, here's the thing:

Doing a con appearance is a completely different skillset from being an author. If I had to choose one or the other, I choose to be an author. Problem is, I have to be good at being on panels and promoting myself, because I can't afford to pay a PR person to do it and if I don't do it, I'll have a crap appearance and I don't profit from that at all.

I'm a total con panel newbie - they've given me two different panels to attend but I need to decide what I'll be talking about and figure out how to say it so that con goers will actually want to participate when they could be out there deciding which Walter White cosplayer is actually Bryan Cranston.

Visiting the con as a panelist is an expense unto itself. I have to cover my travel expenses, I have to bring books in case anyone wants to buy a copy for me to sign, etc etc etc. I'm frantically trying to figure out how to tell comic con people to come see me without coming across as obnoxious. I'm looking at talking to begging the local radio station and newspapers for interviews to support my appearance.

So AW, I ask you - no, more like I beg you - how should I go about this? I'm throwing myself on the mercy of absolutewrite.

Last edited:

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Ive been on several con panels as a writer. they're quite fun.

Are you appearing as part of a group? There will usually be a moderator who runs the panel and will "rescue" you if you seem like you're having trouble. Basically they'll ask questions about a topic to the panel and the panel will discuss them.

When you front up to the Concvention on the day, go to the registration desk and mention that you are a panellist. You'll probably get a special entry and a sheet with the list of your panels, and the people you'll be with. Just turn up at the start time and proceed to the front of the room. Introduce yourself to the moderator if they don't know you. Everything will be fine.

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
I've done convention panels in day-job capacity, and they can be so much fun! (they can also be bombs if the group chemistry isn't there, but that's a much rarer occasion, I think.)

One thing I've found very helpful, because I tend to blank when I don't have written notes in front of me, is to make up a cue card for myself with a short list of things I'd like to talk about, points relating to the topic that I think are vital to get across, maybe some stats if it's a topic that can be quantified. If you're on a panel about sales and marketing, for instance, and you saw a jump in your numbers because of a specific campaign, jot the numbers down so you don't blank when you're put on the spot.

See if you can meet some of the other panelists for your panels at whatever BarCon is running that weekend - having a drink/coffee with one or two of them beforehand gives you a friendly face when you walk into the room, and suddenly it's all so much less intimidating!

Oh, and self-promo for the panels is standard, afaik. Tweet it / post it on your blog with times and locations, at the bare minimum. Your fans want to hear you talk, and need to know how to find you. Make sure to bring materials as well - a postcard, or even just some business cards, for those who are hearing you for the first time and want to follow up and buy your stuff. cons are so overwhelming from a participant point of view that no-one remembers everything they thought was fascinating. But if they find your card when cleaning out their bag the week afterward, there's another little reminder that you were someone they found interesting.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Oh, and self-promo for the panels is standard, afaik. Tweet it / post it on your blog with times and locations, at the bare minimum. Your fans want to hear you talk, and need to know how to find you. Make sure to bring materials as well - a postcard, or even just some business cards, for those who are hearing you for the first time and want to follow up and buy your stuff. cons are so overwhelming from a participant point of view that no-one remembers everything they thought was fascinating. But if they find your card when cleaning out their bag the week afterward, there's another little reminder that you were someone they found interesting.

As long as the con permits it (I'm not sure what the convention rules are), ditto on having something fans can rediscover after the convention. I haven't been on any panels, but I've attended a few conventions for the fun of it. It was nice being able to look back after the convention and find a promo piece that reminded me of who I'd seen or what I'd wanted to buy.

And... if your panel goes well and you get a chance to go again the next year, doing panels multiple years can sometimes end up in extra purchases. There's an artist I enjoy watching speak at Naka-Kon, and while I don't remember buying anything from them the first year, I spent some money buying prints and an instructional CD the year after that. :)

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm going to suggest having a stack of business cards on you. I'll go sit in panels, listen to authors, think "This is good info, I should pick up their book" then forget their names 10 minutes later. Oh, if only I had a card!

I'm a compulsive card collector at cons though, so you might not think it necessary.